Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

This GT40 came in the mail yesterday from France.   Was on my list of I do not have one so in order to keep the world economy going I figured I would do what I can.  As for spending money locally, I have already spent over $2,000 on some things I have put off or néeded to get fixed on the full size cars. ? Never thought I would see the day people wearing masks while driving.   I am taking it to the next level.  ?

IMG_7725.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

Does the one door open and close or must it be posed open ?

I'm still a sucker for these kits.... even though I have the original version, wanted this just because it's so cool, and if I ever get around to building one, would like to modify a few things.  The photo-etch is for the kit I thought I was getting instead of the Pagani, so will be on the hunt, because it's not available anywhere I know.  Turbos are for the next project.....

IMG_2412_Fotor.jpg

11 hours ago, Mike999 said:

They do exist in 1/35 scale, but only in resin. Several companies make full kits of the Carryall, or resin bodies to fit the Italeri and Skybow chassis.  I just searched on "resin 1/35 scale dodge carryall" and got a few results.

I have a Carryall resin body picked up many years ago.  This is one time I'd prefer just a body to a full kit.  I hate working with resin chassis parts like leaf springs and tie-rods.  If they're in scale they're fragile and break very easily.

The Czech company Bilek has released several different versions of the old WC-54 ambulance kit:  a Signal Corps radio van, a nice Military Police version with a resin roof rack, and some others.  I keep hoping they'll step up and do a Carryall body, either in plastic or resin, and add it to the ambulance kit.

For sure a WC53 Carryall? I've seen plenty of WC54s. But, there is a major difference between the style of the two bodies. WC53s literally look like a 1940's Chevy Suburban Carryall body on a Dodge WC/Power Wagon chassis. Where the WC54s are much bigger. Widening out in back of the front doors. 

If there is a WC53 in resin, I'd love see how it looks. I've had very good luck with most resin kits I've purchased over the years. But, I've sure seen some bad ones too. In fact, I remember about 20 or 25 years ago, a fairly well known, and decent resin maker, offered a modern Dodge Suburban for the new generation AMT Dodge Pickup Truck snap kit at the time. I was excited. As I've mentioned, I love Chevy Suburbans. And I like the new Dodge truck at the time. A winning combination, right? This resin was awful. Thick and bumpy. No interior behind the front seats. A general disappointment. Thankfully, I was able to trade it with another member in our local model car club. He knew what he was getting into, and had to put in a lot of work to get something halfway decent out of it. Even then he'll tell you it was one the worst kits he ever tackled. So for that reason I really need to see a resin closely before considering it. 

That reminds me. I too have seen one resin WC53 on eBay not that long ago. I believe it was in 1/72 scale, and did not look too good. I like to one in 1/35 to match my other military vehicles. Or 1/25 and do it up as an after the war, second life, more civilian version. 

Edited by unclescott58

On 4/25/2020 at 3:55 PM, unclescott58 said:

Bummer! As I looked closer at my new new Porsche kit, I'm missing instructions and decals. It was sealed when I got it. And I bought it from a reputable dealer, so I'm hoping they can take care of the problem fairly quickly. Still, I'm a little disappointed ? 

IMG_3896.JPG

Sad to say, the vendor Omni Models has just told me to send the whole thing back. They can not at this time, just replace the missing instructions and decals. Something about having no one having access to their warehouse. So what's going to be done? I don't know if they'll send me another one, and if so, when will they have access to their warehouse again? Or are they just going to refund my money? I'm a little disappointed with this. I have get a return request from eBay? (Never had to do that before. Most vendors have just sent me a return label themselves.) Repackage the kit. And stand in line at the post office. (Can I even do that with the Covid virus thing happening?) 

I've had good service from Omni Models in the past. I'm just a little disappointed by their explanation of why they need me to return the whole kit, rather than grabbing from another kit what's missing from the kit they sold me. They say it's because, they have no one at their warehouse at this time? If that's the case, how and why are they selling models on web without access to their warehouse at this time? Protecting their warehouse workers is fine. But, now as a customer, I'm going to have go out into the public and threaten mine. In general, I'm not really worried. I'm just a little put off. And will this stop me from buying from Omni Models in the future? No. I've had pretty good service from them overall. I'm just not happy in this one case. I was really looking forward starting on this kit. 

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Sad to say, the vendor Omni Models has just told me to send the whole thing back. They can not at this time, just replace the missing instructions and decals. Something about having no one having access to their warehouse. So what's going to be done? I don't know if they'll send me another one, and if so, when will they have access to their warehouse again? Or are they just going to refund my money? I'm a little disappointed with this. I have get a return request from eBay? (Never had to do that before. Most vendors have just sent me a return label themselves.) Repackage the kit. And stand in line at the post office. (Can I even do that with the Covid virus thing happening?) 

I've had good service from Omni Models in the past. I'm just a little disappointed by their explanation of why they need me to return the whole kit, rather than grabbing from another kit what's missing from the kit they sold me. They say it's because, they have no one at their warehouse at this time? If that's the case, how and why are they selling models on web without access to their warehouse at this time? Protecting their warehouse workers is fine. But, now as a customer, I'm going to have go out into the public and threaten mine. In general, I'm not really worried. I'm just a little put off. And will this stop me from buying from Omni Models in the future? No. I've had pretty good service from them overall. I'm just not happy in this one case. I was really looking forward starting on this kit. 

if they dont have access to their warehouse, how did they manage to send it in the first place?

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

If there is a WC53 in resin, I'd love see how it looks...

Here's one that just sold on eBay Apr. 2. From the company "Accura Models," which I've never heard of.  It got 5 bids but only sold for $26. Which makes me wonder, since it's a full kit and not just a body.  The box art looks great, but it shows a real vehicle.

I was wrong about having a WC-53 body.  I have the S-Model full kit, bought at a swap meet years ago. The body-only conversion was made by ADV/Azimut in France. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Accura-Dodge-T214-WC53-Carryall-Resin-Kit/274318955317?hash=item3fdeaf1335:g:5rYAAOSwf11efRUB

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

if they dont have access to their warehouse, how did they manage to send it in the first place?

That's my question. In the last month I've run across a few minor problems with ordering things online. With vendors blaming the issues on Covid-19. For example, two sellers out of Japan. After ordering a model from one, I'm told it's going to take a couple months, because things like models can not be flown out of Japan. At least I was asked if I want the model or a refund? I'm in no rush, so it's being sent by ship. A second Japanese vendor just up and canceled my order. Notifying me several days after the order about the shipping problem out of Japan. Why are you trying to sell things to the United States, if you can't deliver? Other vendors have also been using the virus as an excuse for being extremely slow at shipping things. Or not being able to deliver. Most other sellers seem to be having no problems at all. I don't get it. If there's a problem, why not you shut down your shop for duration. 

I've also had problems with vendors out of Germany. Anything out of France is very slow. Yet the rest of Europe seems okay. The Chinese sells also seem okay. Both mainland (at least Hong Kong) and Taiwan. U.S. vendors. A mixed bag. 

Service is a big thing to me. I can forgive a lot if I least get decent service. 

13 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Here's one that just sold on eBay Apr. 2. From the company "Accura Models," which I've never heard of.  It got 5 bids but only sold for $26. Which makes me wonder, since it's a full kit and not just a body.  The box art looks great, but it shows a real vehicle.

I was wrong about having a WC-53 body.  I have the S-Model full kit, bought at a swap meet years ago. The body-only conversion was made by ADV/Azimut in France. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Accura-Dodge-T214-WC53-Carryall-Resin-Kit/274318955317?hash=item3fdeaf1335:g:5rYAAOSwf11efRUB

That's im looking for. Looking at the photos, I'm a little nervous about what I'm seeing there. I'd particularly like to see the body up close to see what it really looks like. Showing it upside down in the box raises flags for me. Plus the resin looks a little thick. I'd need to see a "Accura Model" kit in real life, after seeing those photos. 

Hey, thanks Mike for taking interest in this, and trying to help me find a WC 53. I find this is the type of stuff that makes the hobby both interesting and fun. Someday one of us will find a WC 53. 

Edited by unclescott58

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I don't know if this means anything or not. But I just found a YouTube video where a guy was showing at Omni Models and Tower Hobbys are actually one in the same. I don't know what this proves? I know a lot of people buy from Tower Hobbys. I never have. Yet I've purchased several items from them on eBay through their Omni Models subsidiary. The guy on YouTube was showing that prices between Tower and Omni are exactly the same. Pointing out they are both out of Campaign, IL. And in digging farther, he found out that Omni is actually owned by Tower. Interesting. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I don't know if this means anything or not. But I just found a YouTube video where a guy was showing at Omni Models and Tower Hobbys are actually one in the same. I don't know what this proves? I know a lot of people buy from Tower Hobbys. I never have. Yet I've purchased several items from them on eBay through their Omni Models subsidiary. The guy on YouTube was showing that prices between Tower and Omni are exactly the same. Pointing out they are both out of Campaign, IL. And in digging farther, he found out that Omni is actually owned by Tower. Interesting. 

I ordered three kits from them recently (4/16). I only received one kit and it came from their warehouse in CA...? Customer service said sorry for forgetting the other two kits, but another shipment will be going out soon. Haven’t heard from them since last Thursday. Hopefully they are all ok and things will start to get back closer to normal in the next few weeks.
I’m not bothered by it at all, as there are bigger things going on right now. But I also think it’s important to keep some commerce going where possible. 

That's my question. In the last month I've run across a few minor problems with ordering things online. With vendors blaming the issues on Covid-19. For example, two sellers out of Japan. After ordering a model from one, I'm told it's going to take a couple months, because things like models can not be flown out of Japan. At least I was asked if I want the model or a refund? I'm in no rush, so it's being sent by ship. A second Japanese vendor just up and canceled my order. Notifying me several days after the order about the shipping problem out of Japan. Why are you trying to sell things to the United States, if you can't deliver? Other vendors have also been using the virus as an excuse for being extremely slow at shipping things. Or not being able to deliver. Most other sellers seem to be having no problems at all. I don't get it. If there's a problem, why not you shut down your shop for duration. 

I've also had problems with vendors out of Germany. Anything out of France is very slow. Yet the rest of Europe seems okay. The Chinese sells also seem okay. Both mainland (at least Hong Kong) and Taiwan. U.S. vendors. A mixed bag. 

Service is a big thing to me. I can forgive a lot if I least get decent service. 

A lot of postal carriers are refusing international mail just now, I think uk to usa is still being sent but there are lots of delays. I have had a parcel from japan within the last month but i think it is the exception rather than the rule just now.

Interesting, I just got word on eBay that tokky-plus, the number one Japanese vendor mentioned above has just shipped the model I ordered from them. I ordered this on April 22, a week ago today. They informed me a day or two later about the shipping problems out of Japan. I still requested for them to go ahead ship the model. So it takes 5 to 6 days for them to do that? If it was my business, it would be out the next day, after clearing things up with the customer. 

tokky-plus does indicate that the model should arrive at my doorstep by May 22. I'm okay with that. But, would it arrive 5 or 6 days earlier if they had shipped the next day? Am I being too picky about this? Even now, working my job online, I try to get things done as quick as I can. I expect, and try to give good and prompt service in any I do. I expect the same out of others. Especially if the exchange of money is involved. Again, I'm also willing to forgive a lot if I get good service. Service has not been very good, in my opinion, lately online. 

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

A lot of postal carriers are refusing international mail just now, I think uk to usa is still being sent but there are lots of delays. I have had a parcel from japan within the last month but i think it is the exception rather than the rule just now.

I'm very impressed with the service my regular postal carrier has been giving me as of late. She has been doing a great job. She's an older gal. About my age. And despite the extra work she has to go through delivering the amount of stuff she has had to deliver to me lately. She has kept up a great attitude, and is as friendly as ever. She is the best. 

12 minutes ago, cobraman said:

This ebay purchase arrived yesterday . Seems to be pretty much not touched . Parts still all bagged . Looks like it could be a tough kit . 

97CD6B88-589C-4AA4-9FFB-FE549C37CC70.jpeg

6FC50254-6967-48F4-A3D9-012EC856DBD0.jpeg

From my understanding the above was made from old IMC molds. So it will be a tough kit to build. Good luck. I hope it builds up well for you. 

Me? I built the old MPC kit of the same car a few years back. No where the detail of the IMC version. But, no where near the problems either. 

Edited by unclescott58

I'm very impressed with the service my regular postal carrier has been giving me as of late. She has been doing a great job. She's an older gal. About my age. And despite the extra work she has to go through delivering the amount of stuff she has had to deliver to me lately. She has kept up a great attitude, and is as friendly as ever. She is the best. 

same here mate, but customs on the other hand have had my pe folder since october. I've pretty much given up on it now and bought another as I cant get a refund until custom actually do something with it. I could understand if it was something dodgy but its just some metal blocks and bolts really. God alone knows what they think it is, lol

Ya know guys, we have a worldwide situation going on and the rules change daily. It’s no biggie if our toy car orders take a while or cannot happen at all. I’m more concerned about the food supply in the coming weeks!

Mail delivery has been sporadic in Exton Pennsylvania. We have been getting a daily delivery lately but missed a day here and there the past weeks. The post office was shut down as the virus made its way through the ranks. The post office was closed for a week and now operates on limited hours.

My favorite counter clerk died two weeks ago. I spoke to my regular carrier yesterday and he said he was on 14 day quarantine until the other day, and people from other post offices were trying to serve our town. So I’m not complaining about much these days in view of the big pictures 

Some more arrivals. The pt cruiser is to be a donor for a new bug after being inspired by one i saw on here. The model a will be a hotrod and the golf i got because volkswagen. unfortunatelly it arrived with a damaged roof but i may have another plan for it anyway

DSC05955.JPG.9a9de37defc6f588c504263cb64aca69.JPGDSC05957.JPG.c18c7f439717033e21e13fcac0e9a675.JPGDSC05956.JPG.4676ad9cbb112e1c35e8dae87a9b93fb.JPG

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ya know guys, we have a worldwide situation going on and the rules change daily. It’s no biggie if our toy car orders take a while or cannot happen at all. I’m more concerned about the food supply in the coming weeks!

My favorite counter clerk died two weeks ago. I spoke to my regular carrier yesterday and he said he was on 14 day quarantine until the other day, and people from other post offices were trying to serve our town. So I’m not complaining about much these days in view of the big pictures

Some people get it. A delayed toy delivery doesn't even register as unimportant at this time.

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Some more arrivals. The pt cruiser is to be a donor for a new bug after being inspired by one i saw on here. The model a will be a hotrod and the golf i got because volkswagen. unfortunatelly it arrived with a damaged roof but i may have another plan for it anyway

DSC05955.JPG.9a9de37defc6f588c504263cb64aca69.JPGDSC05957.JPG.c18c7f439717033e21e13fcac0e9a675.JPGDSC05956.JPG.4676ad9cbb112e1c35e8dae87a9b93fb.JPG

I like the Ford. It's a very nice kit. The Volkswagen looks pretty cool too. 

Okay, I don't know why I did it. But, in today's mail I got something I've always considered kind of sacrilege. A four-door Porsche. At the same time I kind of like the car. I may not like the idea. But, I like the car. In today's mail, Revell's 1/24 scale Porsche Panamera Turbo. Thankfully this model's complete, so it wouldn't have to go back to the seller. 

The second is a diecast of one of my all time favorite cars. It's Brooklin's 1/43 scale '67 Buick Wildcat 4-door hardtop. One of the few things that would be better, would be a '67 Wildcat convertible. Yet I'm just as happy to have any model of a '67 Wildcat. 

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...