Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Mixed feelings on what I got in today's mail.

One is an AMT/Matchbox era 1/16 scale '55 Thunderbird. It's molded in an ugly red plastic. The windshield frame is broken. But, I expected that. But, my main worry is it's missing a couple parts. One metal axle. The glass for the hardtop rear window and headlamps. Both are from the same tree. And the white wall tire inserts. All of the other parts from the tree whitewall inserts should be on, are there, but lose. Between the plastic the kit is molded in. Looking at what it's going to take to fix the windshield frame with that type of plastic. And the missing parts. I'm thinking of maybe shipping this one back and asking for a refund.

Number two, are two very nice diecast models I purchase from a vendor out of Russia. The model themselves are made by a company out of Germany. Neo Scale Models. I got two of their beautiful Corvair 95s models. A Greenbrier passenger van. And a Rampside pickup truck. They are so nice, I'm seriously thinking I need their their Corvan cargo van too. And by the way, I was very impressed with the outfit that sold me these two models. They got them here very quickly considering they came all of the way from Russia. I am very pleased with the service I got from them.

Number three, is again not a model. It DVDs of whole first season of Happy Days. The only season I really liked. When they were not filmed in front of a live studio audience. Before Richie's older brother Chuck went up stairs and was never seen or mentioned again in the whole series. When Fonzie was a side character, and fell a bit more like a real greaser from the time period. When show actually felt like it was happening in the 1950's. Each episode felt more like a mini American Graffiti type movie. Which I loved. Plus being filmed outdoors more, you got to see more cool cars. They slowly ruined that show over the years. First by moving it to a film stage in front of a live audience. It was all down hill from there. 

Number four, back to the model related items. Two things from Bob's Model Car Parts. First, instrument gauges for AMT's 1/16 scale '55 Thunderbird. And second, modern 1/25 scale Minnesota license plate. I've purchased stuff from him before, and always have been pretty pleased. 

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On 4/30/2020 at 7:49 PM, Snake45 said:

Bought these two AMT '66 Mustang fastbacks off eBay last week. 

#1: Looks like maybe the OB was trying to model the real Tasca Ford '65 racer, working from B&W pics. (The real car appears to have been painted Vintage Burgundy to match their '64 Thunderbolt.) The rear wheel openings have been hogged out but that's fixable. I originally planned to strip and rebuild this one from the ground up, but it's kind of growing on me, and I might see if I can clean it up and Snake-Fu it into a presentable survivor. Black is easy to touch up. (The white GT stripe decals on the rockers are in bad enough shape that they'll have to go, though.) Has a complete engine, the Shelby-ish grille (the emblem is backwards), custom front pan, and the desirable Torq-Thrust wheels. Should be an interesting project. 

66MustangFBBlack02.jpg.1de4186d2b91689a50f78fd9ea9ee864.jpg

66MustangFBBlack06.jpg.89e095b04a45a3df873503f81f49ca76.jpg

66MustangFBBlack09.jpg.d5dea1909cecbf1df3535066b9eedd77.jpg

#2: This one was billed on eBay as a "funny car," but the only thing "funny" about it is that the OB had glued some mounting tabs on the chassis so he could run the wire axles BELOW the chassis. Easily undone!  I was SHOCKED when I took this one out of the box, as it looked MUCH better than the eBay pics. On screen, it looked like the paint was very thin, or perhaps had been partially removed by sanding or chemical. The paint (seems to be Pactra Leaf Green) is actually in pretty decent shape as these things go (looks better in 3D than it does in these pics, even), and I think it will respond well to a light polish. This is meaningful to me because one of my first model cars was this very model, brush-painted with Pactra Leaf Green! This one looks a bit better than my original. It's got the "Shelby" grille, custom front pan, custom rear bumperless pan, and the (kit-included) '65 Thunderbird taillights. Biggest glitch is that the roof vents have been cut out '66 GT350-style, and it wasn't done perfectly, but I think I can come up with some sort of fix for that. I think it'll clean up into a nice "survivor" custom--it won't look quite as nice as the teal '65 that I restored last year, but it should look cool sitting on the shelf next to it. I need to find some kind of cool period-correct custom wheels for it. I think this one might go to the top of my "To Do" list. 

66MustangFBGreen03.jpg.92dbef6f0c10de6fff76f8039bd3f259.jpg

66MustangFBGreen05.jpg.69760a919b646ce100819421e2bae8ff.jpg

Well done! Love these two

On 4/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, unclescott58 said:

Stunning. I love it. Edsel always carried two-tones well in my opinion. 

Just heard back from Mike at MCW Lacquer, he can mix the Silver grey metallic, but it's a "Special Order" colour, meaning I'll need to order 2 bottles of it, I'm sure I'll find something to use the second bottle on,I'm just pleased he can mix it.

10 hours ago, Misha said:

Finally, after many years of wanting one, my Bob Pace air vent arrived!!! Hooking it up tomorrow!

We’ll need a full review!  Are you going to use it for air brush or rattle can?  I primarily use cans and am concerned about clogging it and going threw filters like crazy

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have used both, air brush and rattle cans in the past. Usually primer from the can and a/b for colour. Lately I’ve been using the cans for ease of clean up and the a/b for metallics. With the vent using lacquers and cleaners the odour will be drawn out rather than slowly seeping thru the house. It will keep everyone much happier!

I have decided, despite the missing pieces, I'm going to keep the 1/16 scale '55 Thunderbird kit I got yesterday. I've already had one personal contact, contact me offering to help with some parts. Mainly the missing glass pieces. The only other things missing is one metal axle, and the plastic whitewall rings for the tires. Which I'm wondering if they can be sourced from another 1/16 scale AMT kit? So if anybody can help me with that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I may need some advice fixing the windshield frame. Glueing it back together is not a problem. But, getting it to conform to the right shape maybe? 

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

Oh, one other thing I'm debating on, is what color to paint the T-Bird above. I love the color blue. But, the only blue available that year was a color called Thunderbird Blue. Which was really more a light peacock green than a blue to me. And I'm really unsure what might be close in hobby spray paint to that. The second choice is a Thunderbird color that year, called Torch Red. It's not far from the Red seen on the box art above. And would be much easier to match. I think I'm leaning towards the red. What do you guys think? 

IMG_3949.PNG

IMG_3950.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, Misha said:

I have used both, air brush and rattle cans in the past. Usually primer from the can and a/b for colour. Lately I’ve been using the cans for ease of clean up and the a/b for metallics. With the vent using lacquers and cleaners the odour will be drawn out rather than slowly seeping thru the house. It will keep everyone much happier!

Great! Let me know how it performs with cans. I’d been procrastinating buying one 

20 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Also I may need some advice fixing the windshield frame. Glueing it back together is not a problem. But, getting it to conform to the right shape maybe? 

IMG_3942.JPG

Use the windshield (once you get one) as the guide for gluing. Use Tamiya tape to hold it in place and over the windshield edge where gluing to keep it clean.

And a chuckle.. on a Facebook model board some guy is building this kit. He didn’t paint body or windshield frame, but was asking people if he needed to paint the windshield wipers... or it it looked ok the way it was.

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

Use the windshield (once you get one) as the guide for gluing. Use Tamiya tape to hold it in place and over the windshield edge where gluing to keep it clean.

And a chuckle.. on a Facebook model board some guy is building this kit. He didn’t paint body or windshield frame, but was asking people if he needed to paint the windshield wipers... or it it looked ok the way it was.

Thanks for the advice Tom. It sounds pretty right on. I do have the windshield, so that part is not the problem. My question is, are you recommending placing the windshield in before painting to get it to conform to the right shape first with the tape? Then removing the windshield before painting? And glueing it in later? Or are you doing it in one step? 

You know, one of things that blows me away in this hobby, and particularly on this website, is generosity of people here. In less than 24 hours, I already have a person who planning sending me all the missing parts I need to complete my '55 Thunderbird! You guys are great! Thank you. 

37 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Thanks for the advice Tom. It sounds pretty right on. I do have the windshield, so that part is not the problem. My question is, are you recommending placing the windshield in before painting to get it to conform to the right shape first with the tape? Then removing the windshield before painting? And glueing it in later? Or are you doing it in one step? 

I was thinking before paint.. that’s why I was holding glass in all the way around with Tamiya tape and protecting it at top where you’d be gluing frame.

I cannot see your break to judge how much meat you have there to make the connection. With pieces big enough, I’ve done the drill and pin method. 

Got this in the mail today, along with some other off-topic 1/35 scale stuff. It's the Mini-Art Type 170v Lieferwagen "Beer Delivery Car."  Yes, it comes with the crates and beer bottles, which are even molded in clear green plastic.  You'll notice the words "Mercedes-Benz" are nowhere to be found.

Heller did this same vehicle in 1/24 scale, and it goes in and out of production.  It was last re-issued in 2006, according to Scalemates.  I've seen it built as a hot rod and as a weathered surfer van.

Like all Mini-Art kits, it has an engine, detailed rear compartment and an insanely detailed chassis.  Sometimes I think ICM and Mini-Art are in a contest, to see who can make a 1/35 scale chassis with the most parts.

I'm thinking of mounting loudspeakers on top, some control panels/amps in the back, and building it as a WWII propaganda truck.

Liefer_ma.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I was thinking before paint.. that’s why I was holding glass in all the way around with Tamiya tape and protecting it at top where you’d be gluing frame.

I cannot see your break to judge how much meat you have there to make the connection. With pieces big enough, I’ve done the drill and pin method. 

Here's where things are sitting at right now. It will be a little while before the model goes to paint. So I figured letting it sit like this to maybe get the use to how needs to be? They say plastic some memory. I'm hoping it picks up of original out of the mold memory. If that is even possible? At least I know that it should be okay now when the glass is actually glued in. 

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

On 4/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, martinfan5 said:

The decals came from forum user av405 via their Ebay account, so was neat, we both knew our names were familiar

J0pZBXd.jpg

Happy to hear it got to you. Hope you can do something with that extra sheet I sent over. Though I wouldn't be offended if you threw it away. I thought about doing it ?

40 minutes ago, cobraman said:

This came yesterday . Never saw it before so I pulled the trigger . It’s a Bandai kit in a weird scale at 1!28 th.  Body looks pretty good . No engine and don’t know about the other pieces yet . 

Nice score Ray.  A friend in Japan sent me this odd kit in the 1990s.  Yes the scale is weird but the body is more acurate than the AMT or MPC kits.  The chassis is typical toylike.  I built this maybe 20 years ago and I need to touch up the decals that have flaked off due to age and handling.   I may add some 351 ram air decals while I am at it.

P.S.  You do not have to paint yours yellow. ?

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7784.JPG

IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

Edited by vamach1

56 minutes ago, cobraman said:

This came yesterday . Never saw it before so I pulled the trigger . It’s a Bandai kit in a weird scale at 1!28 th.  Body looks pretty good . No engine and don’t know about the other pieces yet . 

5C9BFAA4-00C1-45CA-8501-6AD15E0784E9.jpeg

6F77F839-8EE1-4637-81F1-1B763DE57DF4.jpeg

You find neat and different stuff...

21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Oh, one other thing I'm debating on, is what color to paint the T-Bird above. I love the color blue. But, the only blue available that year was a color called Thunderbird Blue. Which was really more a light peacock green than a blue to me. And I'm really unsure what might be close in hobby spray paint to that. The second choice is a Thunderbird color that year, called Torch Red. It's not far from the Red seen on the box art above. And would be much easier to match. I think I'm leaning towards the red. What do you guys think? 

IMG_3949.PNG

IMG_3950.JPG

Ford had more colors in their standard line up in addition to what was available on the T bird. Documentation shows that any color from Ford could be special ordered, so another blue would be correct. This is the case for Cameo Coral and Tropical Rose T birds one would see. Look at 55 Ford paint chips and choose the blue you like and call it a special order.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...