Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

4 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

Bid on this '59 Impala wagon, now to find a '59 Elli chassis!

IMG_20200529_042422557.jpg

IMG_20200529_042447852.jpg

IMG_20200529_042458179.jpg

I like the looks of this casting. I hope you post your build of this one. I'm starting to want to do some wagons for some reason. 

Original annual AMT '66 Vette roadster hood and hard top. Pretty hard to find these days. 

66VetteParts01.jpg.6dc907b134f760c594bbf0bcf88afd3f.jpg

Original annual AMT '66 T-Bird convertible, with the custom "sports roadster" tonneau. The basic kit has been reissued many times but the tonneau has been missing from all of them, at least since the '80s "Prestige" issue. I want to build a full-custom sports roadster just like the one I built in 1966--but better, of course! B) (It even has the custom wheels I used in 1966 which also haven't been seen in decades, boo-yah!) 

66TBird02.jpg.59a9dd9aaf663356093edb0f49f2c5d8.jpg

66TBird03.jpg.e48ec6d2f9d30bcb170b764baaabafcb.jpg

66TBird05.jpg.3eee8ab194a742f1a7b58c9587860806.jpg

The seller even threw in a "bonus surprise gift"--pretty cool! 

66TBird07.jpg.bf010942157644b037a03e2838e0f555.jpg

Original annual AMT '66 Impala body. That's not primer, it's some kind of glossy gray that should wash off with a swim in Lake Purple. Last year I bought one of the modified dirt tracker Impalas with the plan to get it back as close to stock as possible and make a cruiser or street freak of it, but with this body (very reasonably priced), not worth the effort. Turns out I also have an original '66 custom grille, which opens the possibility of building the dirt-track body into a full custom. I don't have ANY of the other '66 custom parts--I guess it's time to start watching eBay for them. 

66ImpalaBody01.jpg.8c9138d25ee12cc518e95276f4397b5e.jpg

66ImpalaBody03.jpg.01a71eaed939307c572989a0dee1a8cc.jpg

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Original annual AMT '66 Vette roadster hood and hard top. Pretty hard to find these days. 

66VetteParts01.jpg.6dc907b134f760c594bbf0bcf88afd3f.jpg

Original annual AMT '66 T-Bird convertible, with the custom "sports roadster" tonneau. The basic kit has been reissued many times but the tonneau has been missing from all of them, at least since the '80s "Prestige" issue. I want to build a full-custom sports roadster just like the one I built in 1966--but better, of course! B) (It even has the custom wheels I used in 1966 which also haven't been seen in decades, boo-yah!) 

66TBird02.jpg.59a9dd9aaf663356093edb0f49f2c5d8.jpg

66TBird03.jpg.e48ec6d2f9d30bcb170b764baaabafcb.jpg

66TBird05.jpg.3eee8ab194a742f1a7b58c9587860806.jpg

The seller even threw in a "bonus surprise gift"--pretty cool! 

66TBird07.jpg.bf010942157644b037a03e2838e0f555.jpg

Original annual AMT '66 Impala body. That's not primer, it's some kind of glossy gray that should wash off with a swim in Lake Purple. Last year I bought one of the modified dirt tracker Impalas with the plan to get it back as close to stock as possible and make a cruiser or street freak of it, but with this body (very reasonably priced), not worth the effort. Turns out I also have an original '66 custom grille, which opens the possibility of building the dirt-track body into a full custom. I don't have ANY of the other '66 custom parts--I guess it's time to start watching eBay for them. 

66ImpalaBody01.jpg.8c9138d25ee12cc518e95276f4397b5e.jpg

66ImpalaBody03.jpg.01a71eaed939307c572989a0dee1a8cc.jpg

Snake,

I'm certain that I have that custom Impala grille. Got any pics of the other custom pieces you're looking for? If I have the grille, I probably have other parts. I have bags of custom.parts from different kits.

Later-

4 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Snake,

I'm certain that I have that custom Impala grille. Got any pics of the other custom pieces you're looking for? If I have the grille, I probably have other parts. I have bags of custom.parts from different kits.

Later-

Sadly, I don't, but you can see the instructions below. Oddly, the necessary custom front end pan is not specifically shown or called out in the instruction sheet, but you can see it on the box side illo. It comes up around the grille on the ends, i.e., the grille is narrower than the body. Thanks for looking! B)

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1961-1970/amt-1966-chevrolet-/

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Sadly, I don't, but you can see the instructions below. Oddly, the necessary custom front end pan is not specifically shown or called out in the instruction sheet, but you can see it on the box side illo. It comes up around the grille on the ends, i.e., the grille is narrower than the body. Thanks for looking! B)

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/chevrolet/1961-1970/amt-1966-chevrolet-/

I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Later-

17 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Make fiberglass molds of the wheel openings and use them on the modified stocker bodies. Bill Engwer posted a few straightforward, easy to follow how-tos on doing it.

Yah, that's one way to do it. Another is to hack them out of the Revell Foose '65 kit I bought specifically for that purpose. (I think we've had this conversation before. B) )

Of course, if I'm going full custom, I can get creative with the wheel openings and make them whatever shape I want. Some racy flares, perhaps? 

I AM planning to do the sili-clone thing on the wheel openings of the '66 Skylark dirt tracker, though. I have a nice stocker body to use for that. B)

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I was working in a hobby distributor, when they were released. We couldn't believe it, when we opened the first case! That was hilarious!

...and there was at least one builder who took it to heart and built a Boss 429 Corvette using that kit.

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I was working in a hobby distributor, when they were released. We couldn't believe it, when we opened the first case! That was hilarious!

Maybe the rare '68 429 Corvette was the source of the engine in Warren Zevon's song "Roll with the Punches": 

"Johnny had a '57 Chevy, four on the floor and a 429..."

Or maybe he just added a couple cubes so the next line could rhyme: "We used to take it out on Wild Horse Pike, run it out to the end of the line." :lol:

(Or maybe he was running Bruce Springsteen's "'69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads..." :lol: )

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Snake, the custom pan is shown in section 4. at the top of the illustration.

Looks pretty good, kinda reminds me of a '71 or '72 Chevelle.

Is it just me or are the round custom tail lights just the custom Lucas headlights from the '65 with red lenses?. ?

I think you're gonna have some cutt'n to do Brudda.

Edited by Can-Con

38 minutes ago, kelson said:

Went to the hobbystore for more glue and they had a Mustang on the shelf!,since my preordered ones have to be sent surface mail due to the pandemic.it'll be 2-3 months for them to arrive?

Ha! Now that you bought one, guess what will come in Monday’s mail?

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Snake, the custom pan is shown in section 4. at the top of the illustration.

Looks pretty good, kinda reminds me of a '71 or '72 Chevelle.

Is it just me or are the round custom tail lights just the custom Lucas headlights from the '65 with red lenses?. ?

I think you're gonna have some cutt'n to do Brudda.

Ah, you're right! Now I see it! DOH! :angry:

If I can't come up with the custom rear end, I think I'll make a simple rear pan out of whatever (I have a lot of old custom junk laying around), with the stock taillight shape mirrored BELOW the trunk/bumper line--i.e., like the stock taillights, just twice as tall and without the chrome trim, and maybe inset a bit. That might look even better than the kit parts. We'll see what happens. That project is down the road a bit. B)

1 hour ago, kelson said:

Went to the hobbystore for more glue and they had a Mustang on the shelf!,since my preordered ones have to be sent surface mail due to the pandemic.it'll be 2-3 months for them to arrive?IMG_2019.thumb.JPG.711651ab5ac40314c16eb91dafa86b5f.JPG IMG_2018.thumb.JPG.d8dccaf9ffefca972c721473dbed1dea.JPG

Same here. My LHS had three on the shelf with a whopping 1 penny discount from MSRP. I bought one. Peer pressure here is a terrible thing. You guys have made me believe that we need to make this a million seller so Tamiya will give us more kits of American cars. I hope it works, but I keep flashing back to this scene from Taxi. Lets keep our fingers crossed that we can get some new apples, er Mustangs.

21 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Snake,

Later-

Hey Snake. If Tom doesn't have the front and rear pan. I do. I'll never use them. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...