Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

A fun and odd one in today's mail. Roden's 1/72 Opel Blitzbus Ludewig "Aero" (1937). A neat little model of an odd looking pre-war Opel bus. What's not to like? Roden makes another odd looking Opel bus in the same scale that I should be getting in another day or two. I love weird things like this. 

Speaking of weird things, I got a Greenlight die-cast '68 Nissan Patrol in today's mail also. The vehicle itself is not weird part. The the vendor shipped it to me is. He took a brand new in the package toy, folded the top of the packaging over, and a stuffed in a box. ????? ? I don't get it! As a collector this no longer new to me. I'm keeping it. But, I've ordered another from another vendor. I'm waiting to see what the first seller has to say, before I leave any feedback. 

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

Folding the card is a big no no. I'm surprised he did not know better.

9 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Folding the card is a big no no. I'm surprised he did not know better.

Yea! Both you and I both get it. It seems like common sense to me. 

The vendor has indicated he's planning on refunding my money. 

Edited by unclescott58

15 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Just got this off Ebay for so cheap, I almost feel guilty. I really like these Matchbox kits, even though I haven't built one, yet. I just picked up the Surtees, recently, as well.

917a.jpg

917b.jpg

I got this exact same kit a few months back. I also got some aftermarket decals to do the RC Cola version of this car. 

12 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Yea! Both you and I both get it. It seems like common sense to me. 

The vendor has indicated he's planning on refunding my money. 

People are idiots. There was a guy who sold an item in a mint box and plastered the mailing label on it. Or the guy who sold me a 1962 Chrysler convertible built up and slammed it into a bubble mailer, assuring the windshield would get broke. 

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

People are idiots. There was a guy who sold an item in a mint box and plastered the mailing label on it. Or the guy who sold me a 1962 Chrysler convertible built up and slammed it into a bubble mailer, assuring the windshield would get broke. 

This is the second problem I've had with an eBay vendor in the last week. Yestday I got a Tamiya 1/35 Schwimmwagen that the vendor claimed was "new" in the box. As soon as I open the packaging and saw the box, I knew there was something not right. The box did not look "new." And opening the box, it was full of parts from several different kits, with no Schwimmwagen in site. I quickly contacted the seller. The mail carrier picked that one up today, to go back to that seller. 

A couple of months ago I had a similar experience to you Tom, when I ordered a Walthers N scale pre-build water tower. It too was shipped in a bubble mailer. Between the the packaging it comes in, and fragility of the legs of the tower itself, things did not turn out to well. Then the vendor was not easy to agreeing to fix the problem or refunding me my money. 

Most vendors I've dealt it on eBay are great. Either sending me what I want in good condition, or taking care of things if there is a problem. And rarely is there a problem. But, once in awhile...

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Just got this off Ebay for so cheap, I almost feel guilty. I really like these Matchbox kits, even though I haven't built one, yet. I just picked up the Surtees, recently, as well.

917a.jpg

Those are nice kits! But I wonder why they say "simulated tyres"? isn't the whole kit a simulation? 

I have a pair - one unbuilt, one mostly built but without paint - that I got a good deal on a few years back. I tend to think anything 1/32 just doesn't often bring a high price. I was also able to get aftermarket decal sheets (L&M and Brumos). Mine are in the AMT boxes. 

Edited by RancheroSteve

On 6/5/2020 at 7:43 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

And this is the one that I finagled from you! :D

Thanks a million Scott!

image.jpeg.3cbe3f850a33f8b4d1e4ccd1e23f1107.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a3b05f04aa3af0fa9be770dced8cd5b.jpeg

After less than an hour in the pond.

image.jpeg.ff826e4d64db5373868b614928da210a.jpeg

image.jpeg.4aa034df4deb5f81f9d0349f817a8d93.jpeg

Steve

Very nice! I have one in my collection to do over that is almost as nice. I had one as a 9 year old gluebombed in 1965. Dad had a 65 98. I painted it with some leftover paint by number oil paint. Boy did it reek. In hindsight I would have done better not painting it.

I can't wait to see the masterpiece you end up with.

4 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Very nice! I have one in my collection to do over that is almost as nice. I had one as a 9 year old gluebombed in 1965. Dad had a 65 98. I painted it with some leftover paint by number oil paint. Boy did it reek. In hindsight I would have done better not painting it.

I can't wait to see the masterpiece you end up with.

Thanks Ron!

I think this would be another kit that would be fun to do a full chassis and engine swap with.

The stumbling block will be a finding a chassis to fit.

I suspect that it would require a chassis stretch from possibly a '65-'67 Impala?

Not sure at this point.

Steve

On 6/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, Straightliner59 said:

All the 1/32 scale Matchbox kits that I've seen are little jewels, often with better detail than most 1/25 scale kits.  Their 1/32 Citroen Legere has an engine and a grille shell with the bars molded open.  It also had optional tops to build a roadster or coupe.  For years there were virtually no WWII-era civilian cars in 1/35 scale, so military modelers hoarded that Citroen kit.

Another jewel Is the Rolls-Royce Phantom Mk. I "Black Diamond."  It has full engine detail, and you can even read the tiny "R-R" emblem on the steering box.  Also very finely molded wire wheels.  Revell re-issued the Rolls in its 2009 "Classics" series. Pic below.

The "Classics" kits were limited to a run of 5,000 each.  I think that was a moot point. Judging by the kit's performance on eBay nowadays, they were probably lucky to sell 50 of them.  I have one and may modify it into a British "Home Guard" armored vehicle, as might have been used in 1940 during the threat of German invasion.

RG0014-2.jpg

Arrived Friday, but I let it "stew" in the garage for 2 days since it came from Wuhan China.  This is the latest Alpha Models 1/24 Ferrari 488 Pista.  As in their other offerings, very well cast, where even the integral front end spoiler is cast in with the opening.  I would love for more chassis and engine detail.  Alpha is part of Hobby Design.

DSCF2359.JPG

DSCF2360.JPG

DSCF2361.JPG

DSCF2362.JPG

DSCF2363.JPG

DSCF2364.JPG

DSCF2365.JPG

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Ron!

I think this would be another kit that would be fun to do a full chassis and engine swap with.

The stumbling block will be a finding a chassis to fit.

I suspect that it would require a chassis stretch from possibly a '65-'67 Impala?

Not sure at this point.

Steve

When I did the 65 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 convertible, I used the chassis, suspension, firewall, core support and radiator from the Revell 65 Impala SS, the engine, accessories, and transmission from the Revell 72 Olds Cutlass, and the Air Cleaner from the Johan 63 Olds Starfire. It worked out fine with just a little tweaking.

Okay. Weird bus #2 arrived in today's mail. Again, it's by Roden. It's also in 1/72 scale. And is also based on Opel Blitzbus chassis. It's called the "StraBenzepp Essen." I don't think it's as nice looking as the Ludewig "Aero," but I like it none the less. 

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

On 6/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, Mike999 said:

All the 1/32 scale Matchbox kits that I've seen are little jewels, often with better detail than most 1/25 scale kits.  Their 1/32 Citroen Legere has an engine and a grille shell with the bars molded open.  It also had optional tops to build a roadster or coupe.  For years there were virtually no WWII-era civilian cars in 1/35 scale, so military modelers hoarded that Citroen kit.

Another jewel Is the Rolls-Royce Phantom Mk. I "Black Diamond."  It has full engine detail, and you can even read the tiny "R-R" emblem on the steering box.  Also very finely molded wire wheels.  Revell re-issued the Rolls in its 2009 "Classics" series. Pic below.

The "Classics" kits were limited to a run of 5,000 each.  I think that was a moot point. Judging by the kit's performance on eBay nowadays, they were probably lucky to sell 50 of them.  I have one and may modify it into a British "Home Guard" armored vehicle, as might have been used in 1940 during the threat of German invasion.

RG0014-2.jpg

I bought one of those Citroen Legere kits from eBay a few years back. Beautiful detail, but the seller forgot to include the simulated tires, so I sold it on to a military modeller.

3 hours ago, Claes Ericsson said:

Some oddball stuff that I got locally:

bb.jpg

That Mercedes was one of the tougher kits for me to find when I collected the 1:32 Airfix, and I have never seen that Imani kit before. Nice score!

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm with Ken. That Airfix Mercedes 280 SL is hard to find. I too have been looking for one. Your very lucky Claes. 

It took me quite some time to get the Mercedes. Previous obstacle was the Vauxhall wagon which I was close to buying ca 1975 but my father stopped me from buying due to an open and tattered box.?

The Maxi I have yet to see IRL. 

The Blue Beetle is probably a Japanized copy of the Monogram but I have no variations of the Mono kit or the subsequent reissues to compare.

56 minutes ago, Claes Ericsson said:

It took me quite some time to get the Mercedes. Previous obstacle was the Vauxhall wagon which I was close to buying ca 1975 but my father stopped me from buying due to an open and tattered box.?

The Maxi I have yet to see IRL. 

Airfix car collecting is one of the hardest fields to be in; finding MIB ‘58 annual kits is a relaxing day in comparison!

I have been fortunate enough to find the vast majority of the 1:32 Airfix vehicles, but it has been a challenge. The only one I haven’t bought yet is the Old Bill military transport, but I am bound to find it soon since a newly tooled version has hit the market. I wouldn’t mind an earlier release of the DB5 either, because my latest reissue is pretty rough. I am looking forward to the time where I can build all of them, because these kits were the first ‘collectible’ kits I was able to find and buy back in the early 1980’s. Good luck in finding them, but they do turn up occasionally for reasonable prices.

44451D2D-C245-44F3-A955-A0062AC6B85D.jpeg

Got this stuff in the mail in the last couple of weeks.The Chevelle is complete with the exception of missing one tire/wheel which I’m not gonna use anyway.I will definitely be stripping away that ugly brown paint job.This kit definitely brings back memories of building it when I was a kid.Looking forward to using the ZForce Modelworx wheels and tires and trying the C1 Models metalizer out.

6021DED9-4ACD-475D-8CF9-DAEB3928F647.jpeg

E03B1ED6-EDC0-4BDB-B958-CF806A68ACF2.jpeg

60068906-68E5-481D-B6A0-AF067A06F84E.jpeg

Edited by catpack68

Pretty self indulgent, but I love this car, and you won't see many of them around, I reckon:

box.jpg

sm-contents.jpg

sm-with-picture.jpg

Very nicely cast and detailed, lots of parts in resin, grey and clear, vacform, etched steel and rubber for tyres. Instructions are really clear, nicely rendered in 3D and full colour. Now I just need to figure out what colour to paint it...

best,

M.

48 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

Airfix car collecting is one of the hardest fields to be in; finding MIB ‘58 annual kits is a relaxing day in comparison!

I have been fortunate enough to find the vast majority of the 1:32 Airfix vehicles, but it has been a challenge. The only one I haven’t bought yet is the Old Bill military transport, but I am bound to find it soon since a newly tooled version has hit the market. I wouldn’t mind an earlier release of the DB5 either, because my latest reissue is pretty rough. I am looking forward to the time where I can build all of them, because these kits were the first ‘collectible’ kits I was able to find and buy back in the early 1980’s. Good luck in finding them, but they do turn up occasionally for reasonable prices.

44451D2D-C245-44F3-A955-A0062AC6B85D.jpeg

Good selection. The beach buggy is on ebay UK here for £85!

5 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Pretty self indulgent, but I love this car, and you won't see many of them around, I reckon:

box.jpg

sm-contents.jpg

sm-with-picture.jpg

Very nicely cast and detailed, lots of parts in resin, grey and clear, vacform, etched steel and rubber for tyres. Instructions are really clear, nicely rendered in 3D and full colour. Now I just need to figure out what colour to paint it...

best,

M.

I nearly bought the Citroen SM for the road, a smart daily driver!

As I lived in Germany from 1969-1972 I collected those Airfix 1/32s.  I have both the Capri and Mercedes, need rebuilding without boxes.  I have the Dennis Fire Engine and both versions of the Double Decker Bus. I have a Ford Model T bag kit and a few more. 

Here in the USA when I got restarted in this hobby as an adult, I’d find them at shows for $5 and $10. Americans didn’t want them. That ended when eBay came about and Europeans could buy them.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...