Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, sfhess said:

What's ironic is I paid more than twice as much for this resin kit than I did for a running, Full-size 66 Country Sedan back in 1978 or so,

Don't feel too bad, I know for a '79 Thunderbird project car in pretty good shape,, with a T-top,, for about what he's getting for his resin Thunderbirds. 

Bought these both from that guy on eBay who takes nice old complete models and dismantles them and sells them part-by-part in an attempt to squeeze more dollars out of them. I HATE that, but it is what it is, so I played the game, and got these two bodies for half to a third of what I'd have been prepared to pay for the whole models. Both bodies seem to be in excellent to perfect condition under the paint.

I already have a green Craftsman '66 Sklark under construction, so I'll probably build this body up using the parts from the dirt tracker kit, setting it up as a de-NASCARed street goon. Should be fun putting it on the shelf next to the factory stock one.

No particular plans yet for the “Testors John Deere Green” Mustang fastback, but I'll think of something. Would be nice to have the interior tub and glass, but they would have doubled or tripled what I have in the body alone, and I can improvise, adapt, and overcome without them. I have a large stock of AMT '66 Mustang parts and am sure I can get something cool together out of it. Probably something more or less stock.

66Skylark66Mustang03.jpg.ea00331b13d0e28384719a98dd91ad74.jpg

66Skylark66Mustang05.jpg.76d5956d6b3320e8ec55aab0eaf2c35a.jpg

37 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

I  just got a Resin Chrysler Charger VH from Australia. Casting is rougher than a cob but I think I can make it work. Very thick casting and lots of flash. Don't know who made it but I wanted one bad so I bought it.

A Charger VH. The one car where you can claim to have a Hemi and a Six-Pack in same car, and be right. 

3 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Something completely unnecessary but kinda fun, a couple sets of 3D-printed jack stands.

The adjustment hardware is a little overscale, but I think they look great...and they actually work just like the real ones.

DSCN1726.JPG.c24998f7c2f8443c823acc6bef0b0347.JPG

They do look great, Bill!

12 minutes ago, cobraman said:

This arrived today . In 74 I bought a new one just like this . Plan is to build a replica on the one I bought . 

Nice vintage kit Ray.  I am guessing their isn't an engine but that's okay - the Mach1 had a V6 that year so it would have any power anyway. ?

There is also an AMT annual of the 74.  Note that it has a different nose from the other year Mustang IIs since they modified it in 75 to allow for a V8 engine.  When I met my wife she had a 74 V6 coupe.  In 79 she just had to have a new car and traded it in on a 79 Capri... big mistake.  

Yes, I'm sure no engine . But I have not opened it yet. It is said to be molded in color and if it looks nice I may just try my hand at just polishing the plastic. Snake has done some like that with pretty good results. I never tried that I can remember. I did end up with a Mustang ll with the V8 in 78 when I bought the King Cobra. 302 but pretty low on power for 78 as you all know. Still it was a cool car that you didn't see coming and going.

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Yes, I'm sure no engine . But I have not opened it yet. It is said to be molded in color and if it looks nice I may just try my hand at just polishing the plastic. Snake has done some like that with pretty good results. I never tried that I can remember. I did end up with a Mustang ll with the V8 in 78 when I bought the King Cobra. 302 but pretty low on power for 78 as you all know. Still it was a cool car that you didn't see coming and going.

A friend of mine had a '78 that he put an SVO drivetrain in...it really woke that little pony up. 

Thanks Carl. I was thinking I could perhaps just polish the plastic like Snake does sometimes but because the bumpers are  chrome and need to have painted sections I will have to strip the chrome and paint so no polish it will need to be painted.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, cobraman said:

This arrived today . In 74 I bought a new one just like this . Plan is to build a replica on the one I bought . 

C92DD743-541D-4CE7-9C33-CF55F1B8C73F.jpeg

I had a 1:1 was a peace of junk and then cough on fire and brunt to the ground …..But nice model kit !

13 minutes ago, cobraman said:

My experience was much different. Bought new in 74 and had it almost 4 years. Never a problem at all .

Agreed. My wife bought her 74 V6 coupe from a friend who married a military man and was going overseas in 1976. Never a problem!

Traded it in on one of the brand new Fox body Capris.  That car was nothing but trouble from the day it was new!  Traded that one in on a Nissan in 1982 with 30,000 miles on it just to make it go away!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...