Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Placed an order with Tower Hobbies for the new Revell 69 Chevelle and also for a 65 Impala needed for an upcoming resin project on Saturday night, got notification two hours ago that the order was ready to ship. Looking forward to getting my order later this week, love the fast service.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Placed an order with Tower Hobbies for the new Revell 69 Chevelle and also for a 65 Impala needed for an upcoming resin project on Saturday night, got notification two hours ago that the order was ready to ship. Looking forward to getting my order later this week, love the fast service.

I also ordered the Chevelle from them yesterday, and got the shipping info this morning. I kind of like the FedEx shipping too, I hope they're less destructive than the USPS. I haven't ordered from them in a long time, but I used to buy a lot from them when they did $15 off a $50 order, and free shipping. I wish they would do that again, 2 kits for less than $40 was a great deal.

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I also ordered the Chevelle from them yesterday, and got the shipping info this morning. I kind of like the FedEx shipping too, I hope they're less destructive than the USPS. I haven't ordered from them in a long time, but I used to buy a lot from them when they did $15 off a $50 order, and free shipping. I wish they would do that again, 2 kits for less than $40 was a great deal.

Rich, 

They still do the $15 off a $50 order, haven't seen the free shipping since they filed bankruptcy and came back.  01A15 is the code to use, check next time when you go on their website, they have have a coupon button. 

23 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm still not buying that the Hong QI CA-72 is a '55 Chrysler or Imperial. Does it looks similar? Yes. But, not exactly the same. It's like Soviet ZIS-110s and ZIL-111s. They look a lot like cars Packard built, until you put then side by side. The Soviets looked at buying dies for the pre-war Packard 180 from Briggs Body Corp of Detroit, Michigan, the body supplier to Packard, in 1942. They decided the car would need to be reengineered  to meet the climatic and terrain conditions of the USSR. But, since Marshal Josef Stalin like and rode around in Packards, rather than the Buick looking ZIS-101, guess what the ZIS-111 looked like? 

Now I'm  not denying that the Hong QI CA-72 looks a lot like and may have been inspired by the '55 Chryslers and Imperials, with the relationship the United States had with China at the time, I do believe they were built using Chrysler tooling or dies. Look at the photos below, and compare them to the Imperial above. They are not the same. 

IMG_4205.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

I am going to agree with you. There was no collaboration between Chrysler and the Chinese, but they did have access to an old Chrysler car. They cribbed a lot of details from the Mopar. One thing is (and this I got from a friend in China) that they did copy the older 318 polysphere V8.  I was researching the car at that time as I acquired a Trumpeter kit of the CA770. I built mine and used a lot of different parts to complete it. I used front and rear suspension from a Chevy S10 (looked better) in 1/20th scale from Lindberg as the CA 770 is a big vehicle. I used the Ford engine from the Otaki T-Bird kit and filed off the Ford script on the valve covers. Looked much better than the lump of chrome the Trumpeter kit's engine was. I'd like another crack at one as I have another Trumpeter kit and a clone of that kit by some other maker. Can't remember the name off hand.

1 hour ago, Spruslayer said:

Mail call today,the Hemi is from  Autoworld sent for under $23 at me doorstep ?

The goonie bird is huge, if i build that one not sure where it will be landed at

mail.jpg

mail1.jpg

That DC-3 is a nice kit!  If you want huge try their 1/72 B-36!

13 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Sometimes I get the feeling many deliverymen are influenced by Ace Ventura's way of delivering packages...

I saw a security camera clip of a FedEx driver delivering a flat screen TV. He backed into the driveway. The gate to the yard was locked, so he does the next best thing....he tossed the TV over the gate, onto the sidewalk and left. JOB DONE!!

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I saw a security camera clip of a FedEx driver delivering a flat screen TV. He backed into the driveway. The gate to the yard was locked, so he does the next best thing....he tossed the TV over the gate, onto the sidewalk and left. JOB DONE!!

Haha, imagine finding your new TV like that.

Been wanting to build the 66 Olds 442 for a while now and finally managed to get one, they're pretty hard to find in the UK. I want to build it up as the WCFL radio news car. It was a white Cutlass, so there are some visual differences, like the wheels and some trim items. Hopefully I can get it looking as close to the original car as possible.

66 olds.jpg

wcfl news car.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon

The Finishers paints have finally arrived from Japan, these will be used for the build review on the KA Models Mazda K360 pick up, when I've decided on the colour scheme,  nice touch was the free paint stand, I can't wait to get back to Japan again in 2 years time to celebrate my 60th....

20200722_130358.jpg

20200722_130408.jpg

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Been wanting to build the 66 Olds 442 for a while now and finally managed to get one, they're pretty hard to find in the UK. I want to build it up as the WCFL radio news car. It was a white Cutlass, so there are some visual differences, like the wheels and some trim items. Hopefully I can get it looking as close to the original car as possible.

Great idea!  Those "news cars" with their flashy graphics always get my attention in old movies. I'd like to do some too, maybe printing the decals myself.

A minor heads-up:  if your kit front bumper is wrong, it's right for your build.  If it's right, it's wrong and you need to make a minor fix.  Is that confusing enough?

On the front bumper of the 442 kit, check the position of the parking lights. If you're lucky, you got the "wrong" issue of the 442 hardtop.  It had the parking lights in the corners of the bumper.  That was correct for a regular 442 (or your Cutlass), but wrong for the W-30 package.  Olds moved the parking lights nearer the center of the bumper, to make room for the W-30 air scoops. Exactly as shown on your box art. 

AMT-ERTL corrected the bumper in later issues of the hardtop kit.  The AMT-ERTL '66 442 convertible has a single 4-barrel carb, not the tri-carb W-30 setup.  So its parking lights were always in the right place.

The box art of your kit is known over here as "the Wal-Mart box" or "checker-board box."  In the 1990s the huge chain of Wal-Mart stores struck a deal with AMT-ERTL to sell their kits in those unique boxes.  I'm not sure if "the Wal-Mart box" has the corrected bumper.  If so, just shave the parking lights off and move them to the corners of the bumper.

Here's a pic of the 442 convertible, showing the position of the parking lights.  

66-442.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

7 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Wasn't WCFL a Chicago station?  

Yup, I used to tune them in late at night, along with WLS. First time I ever heard the now-famous "SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!" funny car/drag race commercials. Good times! B)

1 minute ago, crazyjim said:

How does a person from South Wales know about Chciago radio stations from the 1960's?  Just curious.

haha, I found a couple of websites that lists airchecks from the 60's up to the present a few years ago and was a breath of fresh air compared to rubbish on the radio today! Been downloading and listening to them since. WLS, 93 KHJ, WNCI, there all there! Love the Boss jocks from back then, Larry Lujack, the real Don Steele, Frankie Crocker. Good stuff.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...