Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Ouch. It turned out this was damaged before being shipped to me, the seller genuinely didn't realise and very amicably gave me a partial refund. Might be repairable, I've got nothing to lose by trying.

If its not repairable, it could make a kinda cool spyder conversion with a chopped down screen

14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

If its not repairable, it could make a kinda cool spyder conversion with a chopped down screen

That thought did vaguely cross my mind, I have one or two other kits which I've also considered for some kind of Speedster conversion after they've suffered similarly.

Just arrived at the doorstep! Beautiful pinstriping decals from Gofer Racing to grace some builds.

And my most recent eBay purchase. I'm glad I hit the Buy Now on this one at $30! I just went this morning to find another and no combination of words showed another on eBay. This Merc is only missing the instructions and one front wheel. The trunk area looks like the lightly painted body got liquid cement poured on it. I'm guessing it will sand out easily enough. If not, I'll have decals made and name it "The Scalded Dog".

Later-

IMG_20200801_144621752.jpg

IMG_20200801_145238026.jpg

IMG_20200801_144702684.jpg

IMG_20200801_144858379.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

16 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

And my most recent eBay purchase. I'm glad I hit the Buy Now on this one at $30! I just went this morning to find another and no combination of words showed another on eBay. This Merc is only missing the instructions and one front wheel. The trunk area looks like the lightly painted body got liquid cement poured on it. I'm guessing it will sand out easily enough. If not, I'll have decals made and name it "The Scalded Dog".

IMG_20200801_145238026.jpg

That kit was very recently reissued. I just bought a brand new one for $30. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That kit was very recently reissued. I just bought a brand new one for $30. 

Interesting. I did not know that. I'll have to keep an eye out. I may want another. At least I didn't overpay too much. Lol.

Later-

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Interesting. I did not know that. I'll have to keep an eye out. I may want another. At least I didn't overpay too much. Lol.

Later-

If you wanted that specific box and decals, you did great, because those aren't common. But the plastic inside is now common again. B)

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If you wanted that specific box and decals, you did great, because those aren't common. But the plastic inside is now common again. B)

16 minutes ago, keyser said:

AMT 1151

D941C46E-EF83-4F34-83EA-3499186F85F9.jpeg.358108743afad636eab1d4fb5ea09c8e.jpeg

Ah! I remember that one coming out recently. I wanted one but didn't get it-- yet.

Later-

Some recent arrivals. As well as the kits I had to get another set of teddy bear wheels but in 17" this time (i see a harlequin golf in my future), and a set of hobby design ssr bbs style metal rims. There is also a c7 vette kit minus the body that was too cheap to turn down (pics from internet)

76cab49cc017171dc15745537e710e0b.jpg

5802.jpg

bel005a.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

41 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Some recent arrivals. As well as the kits I had to get another set of teddy bear wheels but in 17" this time (i see a harlequin golf in my future), and a set of hobby design ssr bbs style metal rims. There is also a c7 vette kit minus the body that was too cheap to turn down (pics from internet)

A varied selection! Didn't realise you could get Teddy Bear wheels in scale, but then again they aren't something I've been actively looking for.......

C7 going to donate its engine/running gear, or can you graft something else on top of it?

3 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

A varied selection! Didn't realise you could get Teddy Bear wheels in scale, but then again they aren't something I've been actively looking for.......

C7 going to donate its engine/running gear, or can you graft something else on top of it?

I'm not sure what I'm going to use the c7 for yet, possibly stick as much as i can from it under the foose firebird kit. The teddys are from uscp, well worth a look for some different wheel options, you might like the older japanese rims they do with your car collection. Make sure you get a set with tyres though, they are done to a slightly different scale to the aoshima ones so the tyres dont fit. They also seem happy to do new styles of wheels if someone asks for something they dont do but they have about 100 rim styles and they are very well cast

8 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to use the c7 for yet, possibly stick as much as i can from it under the foose firebird kit. The teddys are from uscp, well worth a look for some different wheel options, you might like the older japanese rims they do with your car collection. Make sure you get a set with tyres though, they are done to a slightly different scale to the aoshima ones so the tyres dont fit. They also seem happy to do new styles of wheels if someone asks for something they dont do but they have about 100 rim styles and they are very well cast

Ah yes, I remember them from another forum some years ago. Never bought anything from them, but they look to have a really good range. Fortunately for now I have enough, but they could be useful in the future.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:10 PM, Joe Handley said:

Picked these up at HL while at the neighboring Harbor Freight picking up some Bits for my Dremel, heat shrink, and a soldering gun for my R/C stuff.

AEB09D7F-8CDE-4624-906B-76D53FF443F8.thumb.jpeg.65e0a5f3a1e056c7ce2452e2dd6792df.jpeg

My Hobby Lobby does not have the Jeep kit yet. The helping hands really comes in handy on my bench!

33 minutes ago, Fifer said:

I have never seen that kit or car !!  Cool

I've had one of those in the stash for years.  The painting scares me.  It has to be very precise to match up with the decals (which are great, made by Cartograf).  Now that I think about it, the decals scare me too...

And...FINALLY!!!  My closest Hobby Lobby got the "Supernatural" '67 Chevy 4-door.  They had ONE left on the shelf.  So I'm guessing it came in last week and a lot of people bought them over the weekend.  The check-out woman was almost as happy as me.  "That's so COOL!  I didn't know we had that!"  She said her young nephew and his Dad just started building model cars together.  That was nice to hear.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

My Hobby Lobby does not have the Jeep kit yet. The helping hands really comes in handy on my bench!

I found it at a different one that I normally shop at, figured that helping hands would be handy for soldering the battery plugs for the ESC on a R/C project I’ve been dragging my feet on too.

45 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I've had one of those in the stash for years.  The painting scares me.  It has to be very precise to match up with the decals (which are great, made by Cartograf).  Now that I think about it, the decals scare me too...

And...FINALLY!!!  My closest Hobby Lobby got the "Supernatural" '67 Chevy 4-door.  They had ONE left on the shelf.  So I'm guessing it came in last week and a lot of people bought them over the weekend.  The check-out woman was almost as happy as me.  "That's so COOL!  I didn't know we had that!"  She said her young nephew and his Dad just started building model cars together.  That was nice to hear.

Always nice to hear of young folks off their phones and trying to follow directions and putting thing together.

Mike

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...