Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I wonder if it's much different to this one I got a while ago? Mine is a bit of a project to say the least, including the need to find a complete chassis (will just use something random from the parts box and build it kerbside).

It’s the same with different decals, I like the ones in your issue better.  I’ll probably build it semi-curbside with similar decals, there is an engine but the hood is mounded closed and I’m not a big engine detail guy so no reason to open it.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Went into Hobby Lobby to pick up some Evergreen rod and saw this torn up box on the shelf so I asked how much they'd discount it.  Got it for $10.75.  Future street rod !!

20200731_190356_(1).jpg

Sweet deal !!!

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I wonder if it's much different to this one I got a while ago? Mine is a bit of a project to say the least, including the need to find a complete chassis (will just use something random from the parts box and build it kerbside).

Same basic kit, with minor differences like the driving lights.  ESCI also did a stock version they called a Mercedes 500SLC but it's the same too.  I just checked eBay and nobody has parted out one of those kits lately.  

Here's a 2017 thread about the kits:

Three more off my want list.  The '62 Monterey convertible is in better shape than most I try and pick up, but got a great deal on it just the same.   I'll need to try and find the two front fender ornaments however.  The '59 Bird should be a good project and the '60 Impala convertible was my most wanted of the three on this list.  The decent box was a nice bennie too.

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

41 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Three more off my want list.  The '62 Monterey convertible is in better shape than most I try and pick up, but got a great deal on it just the same.   I'll need to try and find the two front fender ornaments however.  The '59 Bird should be a good project and the '60 Impala convertible was my most wanted of the three on this list.  The decent box was a nice bennie too.

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

NIce. I have this one but the windshield and vent window frames are gone. But they for years to fix it.

Got a couple things ordered from eBay seller sportfuryus - MPC '65 Dodge engine:

85393548_65dodgeengine1.jpg.1f8630dec2fbeb3550454b4612b25db0.jpg

Need it for the valve covers and TorqueFlite for the '62 Newports - will cast up an extra set.

Also got these wheel backs from an AMT '68 (?) Vette:

1172745700_Vettesteelwheelbacks1.jpg.47193b05cd53448d25b74e2592bddd3e.jpg

To me these are some of the best steelies ever tooled; just need outer rims - may use the ones from the old Revell '56 Chevy for the way they taper.

Finally, I decided to pull the trigger on this 300-watt 365nm UV light so I can cure and crank out headlight, turn signal and taillight lenses quickly:

837058003_uvlight.jpg.b7cda59d2f414a0bcb2a1e26f893bdd0.jpg

When it gets here next month I'll let you know whether how well it works.

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Also got these wheel backs from an AMT '68 (?) Vette:

1172745700_Vettesteelwheelbacks1.jpg.47193b05cd53448d25b74e2592bddd3e.jpg

To me these are some of the best steelies ever tooled; just need outer rims - may use the ones from the old Revell '56 Chevy for the way they taper.

Those were in several of the AMT C2 Vettes--I forget exactly which ones, but I know for a fact they were in '66 Roadster. The AMT "68" Vette carried over the chassis from the C2s, so no surprise it would have had those wheels too. 

I agree, they are NICE, and you can use them with rims of various thicknesses/depths according to what you need. I'm jealously hoarding a small cache of these, maybe two complete sets, one of which will be used on a "period correct" AMT '65-'66 Vette roadster road racer. Great score! You gonna make resin copies of them? 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great score! You gonna make resin copies of them? 

I want to; still working the learning curve on two-part molds. I have a set that I've molded and slush-cast copies without the axle tubes; kept getting voids in the lug nuts but haven't done any of these since getting the pressure pot and compressor.

Went to HL looking for clearance kits. Found none but had a 40% coupon burning a hole in my phone. Picked up the VW kit since it has gotten good reviews here. Got the fine grit paper at another HL.

Should have some more goodies by the weekend- ebay had a few treasures I've been looking for.

20200804_173833_Burst01.jpg

35 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

Went to HL looking for clearance kits. Found none but had a 40% coupon burning a hole in my phone. Picked up the VW kit since it has gotten good reviews here. Got the fine grit paper at another HL.

Should have some more goodies by the weekend- ebay had a few treasures I've been looking for.

20200804_173833_Burst01.jpg

I have seen enough of the VWs on here that I may have to pick one up for myself. It looks fun!

As far as sandpaper goes, someone posted these on the board almost a year ago, and I got one of each. They are still available, and it's quite a lot of very fine sandpaper for not much coin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HG5R8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3D57N2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I have seen enough of the VWs on here that I may have to pick one up for myself. It looks fun!

As far as sandpaper goes, someone posted these on the board almost a year ago, and I got one of each. They are still available, and it's quite a lot of very fine sandpaper for not much coin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HG5R8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3D57N2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the links! That's not a bad deal at all. 

I received a beta kit today. No, not a plastic fish assembly kit.

I'm one of four guys selected by the manufacturer to get a pre-production kit to "beta test" . . .  build it and report a detailed review to the manufacturer so that any necessary adjustments (if any) can be made before releasing the kit for sale.

Can't identify it yet; no hints now.  It's an exciting subject and a very impressive, comprehensive, extensive kit!  But, it will fill a 55 year hole in our hobby!  Just wait till you see this!  

We have a short timeline, as the manufacturer wants to announce it for release in about a month. 

So, I have to drop everything to commence this emergency build.  If it's as good as it looks in pieces, it will be a crowning touch for this manufacturer and extinguish a burning desire in the hobby!

Stand by - and save some of your disposable income. Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket, you're gonna like this!  More to come . . . 

?

3 minutes ago, Danno said:

I received a beta kit today. No, not a plastic fish assembly kit.

I'm one of four guys selected by the manufacturer to get a pre-production kit to "beta test" . . .  build it and report a detailed review to the manufacturer so that any necessary adjustments (if any) can be made before releasing the kit for sale.

Can't identify it yet; no hints now.  It's an exciting subject and a very impressive, comprehensive, extensive kit!  But, it will fill a 55 year hole in our hobby!  Just wait till you see this!  

We have a short timeline, as the manufacturer wants to announce it for release in about a month. 

So, I have to drop everything to commence this emergency build.  If it's as good as it looks in pieces, it will be a crowning touch for this manufacturer and extinguish a burning desire in the hobby!

Stand by - and save some of your disposable income. Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket, you're gonna like this!  More to come . . . 

?

Sounds intriguing.

How much of an adjustment can they make, should you test builders think it necessary?

Are you looking at overall proportions and detailing, or just buildability, quality of instructions etc? I assume you have to put yourself in the mindest of an 'average' builder.

A package arrived yesterday containing this lot:

IMG_2798.JPG.f351e18e0c7e178082432fc3da00392a.JPG

I think the Skyline kit contains five different grille options. It was the Laurel one on the box art that I was keen to get hold of, I had a couple of 1:1 examples of the car it's taken from some years ago.

I used the fine grade polishing compound last night, not quite as easy to use as I'd hoped but it seems to have done the trick.

And a couple of eBay Buy it Now items that are on their way to me:

s-l1600.jpg

I assume this is the same as the older Monogram issue? At just over £15 shipped it seemed like decent value.

s-l1600.jpg

Was cheaper than usual due to a damaged box. Will be interesting to compare it with the Fujimi versions I have.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

A package arrived yesterday containing this lot:

IMG_2798.JPG.f351e18e0c7e178082432fc3da00392a.JPG

I think the Skyline kit contains five different grille options. It was the Laurel one on the box art that I was keen to get hold of, I had a couple of 1:1 examples of the car it's taken from some years ago.

I used the fine grade polishing compound last night, not quite as easy to use as I'd hoped but it seems to have done the trick.

And a couple of eBay Buy it Now items that are on their way to me:

s-l1600.jpg

I assume this is the same as the older Monogram issue? At just over £15 shipped it seemed like decent value.

s-l1600.jpg

Was cheaper than usual due to a damaged box. Will be interesting to compare it with the Fujimi versions I have.

I've been considering the r31 kit. What do you think of it? I'm a fan of the skylines r32 and earlier and wouldn't mind a few of them.

5 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I've been considering the r31 kit. What do you think of it? I'm a fan of the skylines r32 and earlier and wouldn't mind a few of them.

That particular one cost me £25 shipped, which seems to be good going for a recent Hasegawa release. The seller has at least one other on eBay, they list at £35 you can make an offer. I put it in my watch list and got a notification that they'd sell for £25.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-1-24-Nissan-Skyline-GTS-R-R31-Damaged-Box-C29/154033187682

Haven't yet received it, so I can't say in person but the built-up photos with the listing look very good:

s-l1600.jpg

The standard wheels aren't very flattering, some BBS RG or mesh wheels will better. Will be interesting to see whether the underbonnet area would be suitable for an RB26 swap from Tamiya's R32 GT-R. A quick look at the instructions on HobbySearch shows it have decent-looking suspension.

The Fujimi versions I already have aren't too bad, certainly better than their terrible R30 Skyline, and they do 4-door versions as well which appeals to me (I rescued a South African spec 1:1 saloon from a scrapyard some years ago). You have to accept with them that the chassis detailing is very simplistic, so best regarded as a kerbside.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...