Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, stitchdup said:

Couple of arrivals today. I've been after the capri for far too long (before i was a vw guy, i was a ford guy) and the morris was just too cool looking to turn down

DSC06186.JPG

DSC06187.JPG

Nice van! My Father used to drive one for the post office in the early '60's, the front and rear mudguards were rubber!

From the widow of a friend of one of my fellow D.A.A.M club members I bought 19 kits. Some I had,( Galaxie 47 Chevies, Moebius '65 Satellite Golden Commando Super Stocker, and more) some I didn't( Galaxie 21 foot tag along trailer, Revell Buttera Model T touring and sedans, and '33 Ford roadster).

Patience won out! Been watching for a Craftsman issue of the AMT '59 Continental Mark IV. The original issues are usually gluebombs with all the custom parts attached, and are almost always convertibles with windshield issues. Besides I had one when I was little - I remember taking a knife and trying to scratch a new trunk opening on it :rolleyes:.

This one finally showed up at a reasonable price; ten of us were watching all week but luckily mine was the only bid:

1770020456_59continental1a.jpg.e847196cccf24717ba4e227f4a4ec806.jpg

757791499_59continental4a.jpg.441213961c9f0d49faba9e4753fa8084.jpg

718049187_59continental5a.jpg.ad44f509af748aa33debf3467cb2555b.jpg

The original builder did a really fine job of detail painting the trim and taillights! Note the trunk lid isn't damaged in the center where it was cut from the sprue at the factory, like many are, and the hood ornament is intact, thank goodness. Always liked this dark charcoal almost-black color AMT used for the plastic - keeps it from looking quite so enormous :lol:.

This arrived this morning, not a model, but it will help me get some modelling done while I'm living in the smoke, I'm planning on bringing some models and tools back down with me in a week or so, there's no way I could do any detail work without one of these.

20200908_122643.jpg

Had a serious lack of space for my finishing builds. Ikea to the rescue!

Finally got some new shelving to display those finished builds!

These are two of three. The third is undergoing some modification/experimentation, as I want something that will fit trailers.

Still need to play around and come up with a good way to park everything.

We actually had a major project recently. Moved the boy's room to the basement, and moved our office/computer/bookshelves, etc to his old room. Good opportunity to add the shelving.

20200907_162655.thumb.jpg.231a4cbe825d5fc8486ab1ce07856ac6.jpg

The lighting in the new office/display room is pretty good too.

20200907_161943.thumb.jpg.560762c8a918ac0f9e86dfc3c6ff999c.jpg

Got this issue of Lindberg's GT6. Generally awful kit, but after purchasing a built up a while back, I saw it does have definite possibilities. The built-up was missing parts, so I figgered I'd see if I could get a complete un-molested kit. The prices have been getting silly high for some reason, but persistence finally prevailed.

Really...a lot of it is horrible, like the engine, the window openings, and a host of other things discussed elsewhere. And the "racing" options are pretty funny..."wheelie bars" and a (I guess) gasser-style fuel tank hanging under the front bumper. Kinda unlikely a stock-engined Triumph anything will be doing any wheelies, but better safe than sorry, eh?  And of course, the Minilite wheels shown on the quite nice box illustration are nowhere to be found.

LINDBERG CAR & TRUCK vintage out of production plastic ...

Plugged a hole in my 1/25 sports cars with this issue of AMT's 289 Cobra, another one I had only a gluebomb of previously. Not a bad kit, but definitely going to need some massaging to cure the too-wide track, exceptionally heavy windshield frame, and some of the underhood details. 

The general proportions and lines are pretty good, but it shares the unfortunate butt-in-the-air inaccuracy of a lot of the Cobra kits out there. It's immediately obvious to anyone familiar with the cars, and makes an appearance on some of the full-scale kit-car bodies as well. Oh well. Not too hard to fix.

AMT 1/25 Shelby Cobra 289, T414

Last, a '59 Mercury hardtop built-up. Bought it primarily because I'd never seen one before, and this one is exceptionally clean. She's missing a couple of easily duplicated parts, but she has what I need to take molds from.

Frankly, I have no plans or even ideas yet for this little car, other than as maybe just a straight resto back to stock, removing mold lines and replating bumpers, etc.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have no plans or even ideas yet for this little car, other than as maybe just a straight resto back to stock, removing mold lines and replating bumpers, etc.

Little car?

You do realize that we're talking about a '59 Mercury here, right? :lol:

I found one of the convertible "Junior Craftsman" versions of this kit some years ago and did to it basically what you stated.

Not my favorite car in the world, but it's still kind of cool to have in the collection.

image.jpeg.1bd3d1b372b1e7cc4acefc2f220ef627.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Little car?

You do realize that we're talking about a '59 Mercury here, right? :lol:

I found one of the convertible "Junior Craftsman" versions of this kit some years ago and did to it basically what you stated.

Not my favorite car in the world, but it's still kind of cool to have in the collection.

It was partly (in large part, really) seeing your outstanding renditions of a lot of these land yachts that got me interested in collecting some to do myself when I get the time in another year or so...and once I master BMF.

Did that Merc come with the up-top, or did you modify it from something else?

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Did that Merc come with the up-top, or did you modify it from something else?

I have the convertible version of this kit as well....Bill asked the question that I wished I had asked! Excellent sculpture from mere dust Steven!!   :wub:

1 hour ago, Khils said:

I have the convertible version of this kit as well....Bill asked the question that I wished I had asked! Excellent sculpture from mere dust Steven!!   :wub:

Thank you Kevin.

It wasn't all that high on my "must have" list, but I thought that as long as I had it, I might as well build a simple curbside from it.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Little car?

You do realize that we're talking about a '59 Mercury here, right? :lol:

My parents bought a 59 Mercury Monterey 4-door.  My Dad had to add on to the garage so the car would fit inside.  When we moved to California the car barely fit in the garage at the new house.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...