Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Been looking for a while for '60 Buick valve covers, as I believed the '60 was the only source for an accurate set. Was digging through my '40 Ford parts stash for taillights, and to my surprise, there were the exact same covers on a first (or early) issue '40 coupe chrome tree! (Newer issues were changed to finned custom covers.)

Nice surprise to already have them - after I dechrome and add flanges, I'll be casting them up. Got a '62 Electra and '63 Rivi that need sets.

22 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I agree, I opened it up, and was SOo very impressed. It almost looks like 1/24 scale to be honest, but then again, it may have just been a MASSIVE car in 1:1. I recall the first time I saw an Auburn speedster in person..I was blown away by the size. 

Compare the Johan body to the similar Monogram kit and you can see the difference in body size. Johan Mercedes IS 1/25 scale.

38 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Nova has been available a few times in the last twenty years since the Millennium issue, both as stock and Pro Street.  Most recent was the (same) stock/drag kit, as the Bill Jenkins Grumpy's Toy I/II.

Is this the same kit ??

PSX_20200919_123110.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

That's the original issue...same kit.  Some of those early kits have a "rear view mirror" molded in relief on the inside of the windshield.  Other than that, no changes to the plastic parts.

Cheers Mark for the info ' 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Been looking for a while for '60 Buick valve covers, as I believed the '60 was the only source for an accurate set. Was digging through my '40 Ford parts stash for taillights, and to my surprise, there were the exact same covers on a first (or early) issue '40 coupe chrome tree! (Newer issues were changed to finned custom covers.)

Nice surprise to already have them - after I dechrome and add flanges, I'll be casting them up. Got a '62 Electra and '63 Rivi that need sets.

I built an 80's era reissue of the 40 ford that had the stock Buick valve covers in it. Not sure when the change was made.

The "Grumpy's Toy" '66 Nova had a bench seat, rear seat with matching pattern and open steel wheels.  Those parts were on separate sprues. 

Does the latest release have those parts in it?  Or just the bucket seat interior from the original release?  

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

The "Grumpy's Toy" '66 Nova had a bench seat, rear seat with matching pattern and open steel wheels.  Those parts were on separate sprues. 

Does the latest release have those parts in it?  Or just the bucket seat interior from the original release?  

if you need the bench seat, pm me

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

if you need the bench seat, pm me

Thanks a lot, but I don't need one.  I have a couple of the "Grumpy" kits with the bench seat.  I  just wondered if those parts were in this re-issue. 

At a kit swap meet once, I found a bagged '66 Nova kit that was only missing one part - the body.  ? So if I want to do a bucket-seat version, I can steal the seats from there.  I'm more likely to try building it as a bench-seat "mainstreamer" with a 6-cylinder engine.

7 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

Picked both of these up . In love with them lol they're huggeee

IMG_20200919_112843.jpg

1 hour ago, Deuces ll said:

Is there any chrome trees in that big red kit?????......

I am building that same kit, only I am using an original issue...or two. lol

Yes, it has chrome trees. Everything in the box art that is chromed comes that way.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, doorsovdoon said:

I found out this existed while in the 'movie cars that haven't been kitted' thread. I had to get it! 

20200918_101724.JPGAlso got this '71 T-Bird and another Buick Electra. I love the Electra kit, although a very worn out mould it builds up into such a nice looking model i had to get another!

Buick.jpg

71 T-Bird.jpg

Cool Gareth. 

About the T-bird. I suggest cutting the front and rear pans away from the chassis plate and glueing them on toward the end of assembly. , It'll make them much easier to get properly placed without a gap.

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

Cool Gareth. 

About the T-bird. I suggest cutting the front and rear pans away from the chassis plate and glueing them on toward the end of assembly. , It'll make them much easier to get properly placed without a gap.

Cheers for the heads up, Steve. I'll be sure to remember that! Thanks.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...