Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Just got back from another pleasant meeting with the LMMCC, and brought home a few goodies:

IMG_0330.JPG.e64ae365a8437c8bb49a08149c8ad622.JPG

The Courier is complete and untouched; the T (raffle prize) is sealed, and the Deuce I got to put the interior into an AMT '32 Tudor body - and maybe swap the Phaeton body onto the Show 'n' Go chassis. Someone was giving away a bunch of paint so I got a couple cans of Testor's Copper that haven't leaked. Yet.

While we were on our annual anniversary weekend respite, my wife insisted upon purchasing a pair of display cases for me as an anniversary gift.

I'm sure mainly because she was tired of seeing stacks of plastic cased models sitting on the family room floor. :P

She wanted antique furniture, and I wanted display cases, so we both got what we wanted. ;)

There is room for the addition of up to 3 more shelves in the table top unit, and I will likely figure out adjustments in the floor unit to raise the models up higher for easier viewing with the doors closed.

I'll also very likely add some lighting to both cabinets as well. :)

image.jpeg.60d95fad53f5283d27618c0a75bdb63f.jpeg

image.jpeg.d71ffa3910216d3f509a9b9e6e274c70.jpeg

image.jpeg.d1ffbb2e1540613c56d5e38e0307db95.jpeg

image.jpeg.54a8e792aecd7f51f9aefb93dc01efbe.jpeg

image.jpeg.bb0daa3f0df999b840bda79c51288bc4.jpeg

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

While we were on our annual anniversary weekend respite, my wife insisted upon purchasing a pair of display cases for me as an anniversary gift.

I'm sure mainly because she was tired of seeing stacks of plastic cased models sitting on the family room floor. :P

She wanted antique furniture, and I wanted display cases, so we both got what we wanted. ;)

There is room for the addition of up to 3 more shelves in the table top unit, and I will likely figure out adjustments in the floor unit to raise the models up higher for easier viewing with the doors closed.

I'll also very likely add some lighting to both cabinets as w

Steve

Great looking cases Steven. I would suggest that you run strips of felt around those doors to help seal out dust when closed. I have yet to see a good looking display case that did not let some dust in, and you do such excellent work I would hate to see that happen. 

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

image.jpeg.d71ffa3910216d3f509a9b9e6e274c70.jpeg

If you need even more shelves, you could drill holes inside of that barrister's bookcase that would take adjustable shelf pins. It looks like there's room for one or possibly two more (glass?) shelves. A piece of pegboard makes a good jig for lining up the holes. Just don't drill all the way thru the cabinet!

Got this in a trade yesterday:

1C0F93BD-71DE-4270-BB50-36FA5431BCCB.thumb.jpeg.73c0d054aa8e7f30485b544d5a11edeb.jpeg

Been wanting to build a few of these AMT hot rod kits box-stock, but also I can imagine myself saving all the T parts aside from the body and making a frame for it and ending up with an almost-total scratchbuilt/kitbashed effort along the lines of this build by @tim boyd.  Then, with the remainder I’d have a T chassis and running gear to build a narrow-bodied board track racer or something out of, which is another project I’ve had in mind for a while now.

Of course, I’ll need ANOTHER of these kits then so that I can build the hot rod version of this kit as AMT intended, but there’s no law against buying kits, luckily.

Found a cool hobby store nearby to our new place too this week...picked up a few little bits and pieces I needed of paint and glue - they had one lonely bottle of Testors clear enamel left so I grabbed that seeing as it’ll soon be REALLY hard to find - they had good stocks of all kinds of other Testor’s stuff though!

7CEA0B15-852D-4648-9CC3-4ECCC5ED7C20.jpeg

D6C01DA4-C240-41D7-BA9D-F2A261B75367.jpeg

EF4F31FB-B518-4B3B-8585-AA72B08F09C1.jpeg

11 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Of course, I’ll need ANOTHER of these kits then so that I can build the hot rod version of this kit as AMT intended, but there’s no law against buying kits, luckily.

If you want the dropped front axle and other hot rod chassis parts, you'll need to find another kit exactly like the one you just got: the early 1980's "white box" re-issue with "2-in-1" on the box.  Or an original double kit with the XR-7, but those are harder to find and more expensive.

When AMT changed this kit to the '27 T police car, they deleted the dropped axle and some other parts.  The hot-rod engine parts for the 4-cylinder are still in that kit, now called the "Police Pursuit" engine. But not the hot-rod chassis stuff.  I think the one you have there, in the white box, was the last release with those parts.  

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

If you want the dropped front axle and other hot rod chassis parts, you'll need to find another kit exactly like the one you just got: the early 1980's "white box" re-issue with "2-in-1" on the box.  Or an original double kit with the XR-7, but those are harder to find and more expensive.

When AMT changed this kit to the '27 T police car, they deleted the dropped axle and some other parts.  The hot-rod engine parts for the 4-cylinder are still in that kit, now called the "Police Pursuit" engine. But not the hot-rod chassis stuff.  I think the one you have there, in the white box, was the last release with those parts.  

That’s GREAT info, thank you Mike!  Wasn’t aware that the new(er) reissue didn’t include that stuff!  

Considering the older version is still available at decent prices on eBay (this one was $10 or so, I think) that doesn’t give a lot of incentive to pick up the newer police version...unless you want to build the police version of course...

Thanks for the tip!

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Got this in a trade yesterday:

1C0F93BD-71DE-4270-BB50-36FA5431BCCB.thumb.jpeg.73c0d054aa8e7f30485b544d5a11edeb.jpeg

Been wanting to build a few of these AMT hot rod kits box-stock, but also I can imagine myself saving all the T parts aside from the body and making a frame for it and ending up with an almost-total scratchbuilt/kitbashed effort along the lines of this build by @tim boyd.  Then, with the remainder I’d have a T chassis and running gear to build a narrow-bodied board track racer or something out of, which is another project I’ve had in mind for a while now.

Found a cool hobby store nearby to our new place too this week...picked up a few little bits and pieces I needed of paint and glue - they had one lonely bottle of Testors clear enamel left so I grabbed that seeing as it’ll soon be REALLY hard to find - they had good stocks of all kinds of other Testor’s stuff though!

Jim...good luck with your project and I'd love to see it when you are finished....TIM 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, 64SS350 said:

Got these over the weekend..

Porsche from eBay, added the burban to the group ( of other 66s)from trade with Paintandwrenches. 

IMG_20200920_195333257.jpg

If you can find it Tamiya has  that green for there 1/12 scale kit. I think it will be limited run. There is no other green that is right. The green is called Cobalt Green.

Dscf0789.jpg

Edited by 935k3

11 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks Snake. I was just happy to find one in 1/24 instead of 1/35. Now if I could just find a Deuce and a half or 5 ton in 1/24!

Later-

Wespe Models in Romania makes a 1/24 scale GMC Deuce And A Half.  It's resin and expensive.  I think DAN Models in Romania has taken over the Wespe molds, since I'm seeing old Wespe 1/35 scale kits in DAN boxes recently.  There's a thread in the Truck forum about DAN Models. Here's an eBay listing for the GMC.

https://www.ebay.com/p/762926222

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Wespe Models in Romania makes a 1/24 scale GMC Deuce And A Half.  It's resin and expensive.  I think DAN Models in Romania has taken over the Wespe molds, since I'm seeing old Wespe 1/35 scale kits in DAN boxes recently.  There's a thread in the Truck forum about DAN Models. Here's an eBay listing for the GMC.

https://www.ebay.com/p/762926222

Thanks Mike! Good to know there is one out there. Unfortunately, it is an older style than I'd hoped. Not a bad price for a resin though.

Later-

15 hours ago, 935k3 said:

If you can find it Tamiya has  that green for there 1/12 scale kit. I think it will be limited run. There is no other green that is right. The green is called Cobalt Green.

Dscf0789.jpg

Thanks, found some reference photos, Zero paints has some,and I will go see Mike at MCW, I'm sure he'll know.

Screenshot_20200922-133515.png

Screenshot_20200922-133902.png

3 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

Thanks, found some reference photos, Zero paints has some,and I will go see Mike at MCW, I'm sure he'll know.

Screenshot_20200922-133515.png

Screenshot_20200922-133902.png

Vaillant green is actually a Volkswagen colour, they were a great customer of ours when I worked for V.A.G UK,  the colour code is Volkswagen L62N Vaillant green.

75735C62-9F30-4EB0-9589-4F7C82C0F9AB.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...