Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Thanks guys!

It appears that the '71 Duster chassis is a little closer to the correct wheel base than the '69 Dart, but it's still maybe a quarter of an inch too long and will need shortening.

But thanks for all of your help.

I probably wouldn't have thought of the Duster.

I imagine that the 340 in that kit would also be a good starting point for the 273 in the Barracuda.

Thanks all!!

Steve

15 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys!

It appears that the '71 Duster chassis is a little closer to the correct wheel base than the '69 Dart, but it's still maybe a quarter of an inch too long and will need shortening.

I imagine that the 340 in that kit would also be a good starting point for the 273 in the Barracuda.

Thanks all!!

Steve

keep on mind the underbody from a 71 Duster has some differences than a 1966 Bcuda.  Primarily front suspension differences and Im pretty sure the 66 was never avail with dual exhaust

Same goes for the 70-71  small block compared to the 66 small block as well .

Edited by gtx6970

The "340" engine would be of the same family as the "273" with the only manifolds and alt. mounting maybe being different. There are many MoPar faithful here that can tell you if you're getting off the mark. Just build and enjoy and please keep us posted on your progress. 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

The "340" engine would be of the same family as the "273" with the only manifolds and alt. mounting maybe being different. There are many MoPar faithful here that can tell you if you're getting off the mark. Just build and enjoy and please keep us posted on your progress. 

water pump style is different, as well as intake ,  exhaust manifolds and valve covers. Again just depends on how accurate Steve intends to get

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

water pump style is different, as well as intake ,  exhaust manifolds and valve covers. Again just depends on how accurate Steve intends to get

I might not have a lot of options.

I would like to build it with a V-8 and as far as the front suspension goes, there probably aren't a lot of options available in that department either.

I'll just have to use what's available to me if I don't want to use the original '66 kit chassis plate........which I don't! :P

Here is a comparison between the Barracuda and Duster chassis.

The look pretty close to me.

image.jpeg.e9aa4a7f44bd35384838ac2a200dff02.jpeg

Steve

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys!

Thanks all!!

Steve

If it’s a 273 you intend to use, the stock motor in the Lindberg A-100 kits is where I’d go. Probably get you closer than the 340 from the duster

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the 273:

273 V8[edit]

The 273 cu in (4.5 L) was the first LA engine, beginning model year 1964 and offered through 1969, rated at 180 hp (134 kW). It had a bore and stroke of 3.625 in × 3.31 in (92.1 mm × 84.1 mm). It had a mechanical solid lifter valvetrain until 1968 when hydraulic lifters were introduced; hydraulic lifters generally make for a quieter valvetrain. The reciprocating assembly included a cast or forged steel crankshaft, drop forged steel connecting rods and cast aluminum pistons. The valvetrain consisted of a cast nodular iron camshaft, solid or hydraulic lifters, solid pushrods and shaft-mounted, malleable iron rocker arms (stamped steel on later hydraulic-cam engines). These actuated the overhead steel intake and exhaust valves. The cylinder heads featured wedge-shaped combustion chambers with a single intake and a single exhaust valve for each cylinder. Spark plugs were located in the side of the cylinder head, between the exhaust ports.[1]

A high performance 235 hp (175 kW) was offered 1965-'67, this was standard in the Barracuda Formula S model and optional in all other compact models excluding station wagons. It featured a 4-bbl. carburetor and matching intake manifold, chrome unsilenced air cleaner with callout sticker, longer-duration and higher-lift camshaft and stronger valve springs, 10.5:1 compression ratio, special black wrinkle valve covers with cast aluminum appliques, and a low-restriction exhaust system with a 2.5 in (64 mm) exhaust pipe, collector-type Y-junction, and exposed resonator. In 1965 (only) the muffler was of "straight through" construction.

A special version was also available in 1966 only - it used a 0.5 in (12.7 mm) lift solid-lifter camshaft, fabricated-steel-tube exhaust, and a Holley 4-barrel carburetor, producing 275 hp (205 kW) (1 hp/cu in). It was available in the Dodge Dart only, and the car so equipped was called the "D-Dart", a reference to its classification in NHRA D-stock for drag racing, which was the car's only intended purpose.

20 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I might not have a lot of options.

I would like to build it with a V-8 and as far as the front suspension goes, there probably aren't a lot of options available in that department either.

I'll just have to use what's available to me if I don't want to use the original '66 kit chassis plate........which I don't! :P

Here is a comparison between the Barracuda and Duster chassis.

The look pretty close to me.

image.jpeg.e9aa4a7f44bd35384838ac2a200dff02.jpeg

Steve

You could switch the K members from the chassis. IMC/Lindberg Dodge truck could yield a more correct engine.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That's the issue I enjoyed building in the early-mid '90s, great to see that box art again.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the version I built when I was around 9-11 years old, unpainted in all it's molded in Metallic Blue glory.  It's a kit I had forgotten about altogether until recently as Revell permanently changed the tooling in 2000 into the '70 Road Runner. 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

One of the fruits of a recent trade with Keith, (Bucky).

This extremely nice original issue AMT 1966 Plymouth Barracuda kit.

Pretty excited to see what I can do with it! :)

Anybody have a good idea if there is a good chassis and engine swap available from a modern kit?

Looks as if the Revell '69 Dart is a good match, although the chassis is a bit too long.

Any others that anyone knows of?

image.jpeg.00add5eb31b5c223fc8a07adb2a8a43d.jpeg

image.jpeg.a95a787b9c7f43820c3079a19fddb3fd.jpeg

Steve

I shortened an AMT 71 Duster Chassis. I also used the underhood area too.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...