Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Lol, It might as well say, "Never mind this extremely popular German product that took the States by storm, Ford was on top AND ALWAYS WILL BE, OK!!! xD

LOL!  Or they could have used the alleged quote from Henry Ford II, when The Deuce saw his first VW Bug:  "Americans will never buy that little s--t box."  In 1946, Ford was offered not only the VW Bug, but the whole Wolfsburg factory.  He turned it down.

18 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

LOL!  Or they could have used the alleged quote from Henry Ford II, when The Deuce saw his first VW Bug:  "Americans will never buy that little s--t box."  In 1946, Ford was offered not only the VW Bug, but the whole Wolfsburg factory.  He turned it down.

It makes you wonder if he had taken the deal, what would have become of the bug. That was Henry's kind of car, cheap to buy cheap to make and pretty rugged. 

A few months ago I traded with Ewetwo for an original AMT '66 Corvair "project," which consisted of the body, glued-in glass, custom interior tub, and bare chassis. Most important thing was that the Corsa scripts (and 1966 license plates) were intact. Figgered I'd use it with a much-reissued '69 to get a nice '66 Corsa together. 

Last week on eBay I bought an original '66 Corvair box filled with original parts, many of them still on the sprues. There's no body, or stock front bumper/headlights or rear bumper or stock taillights; two of the 13" tires are missing as are two of the 13" Cragars. Otherwise it looks likes everything else might be here, including new glass, interior tub, and chassis. I'm pretty sure the complete interior parts are here, as well as the engine and chassis parts. With a little luck, I'll have all the '66 turbo parts which disappeared in the reissues. 

The body I have needs a bit or work--the glass is glued in so solidly I'll either have to grind it out, work with it in place, or cut the whole top off a reissue body and mate it to this one. A bit of a challenging project, but if it were easy, anyone could do it! B)

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

A Fordswagen would have been cool! 

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Does it at least have the small block V-8 in it.?

It's definitely a small block, but I don't think its a V8 :D

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

It makes you wonder if he had taken the deal, what would have become of the bug. That was Henry's kind of car, cheap to buy cheap to make and pretty rugged. 

That was Henry's kind of car, but definitely not Henry II's kind of car. Henry I wasn't involved in the company (other than to meddle) after 1945 and he died in 1947.

I got the Starsky and Hutch parts I needed from Zen. Thank you. And the shipping boxes that fit Revell kits to start unloading some kits I really have no interest in on Ebay. I've tried some Facebook forums to sell. But most time I find a person will a bid on a kit. Then it's like pulling teeth when it comes to getting paid. If at all.

image1-1.jpeg

image0-4.jpeg

Heads up if you're close to Upstate SC!  The Ollie's in Anderson, SC had a big stash of Revell '48 Ford Police coupes when I stopped in today.  Two came home with me.  Also plenty of '55 Corvettes, late-model Vettes, Camaros etc., and the International Transtar 4300 Eagle.

This store had ONE Lindberg "Big Red Rod,"  the 1/8 scale bucket T.  Price $49.99.  At least I only saw one on display in the store. This Ollie's was damaged in a big fire months ago, and just recently reopened.

Hobby Lobby:  finally found an HL, also in Anderson, with the '60 Chevy pickup and go-kart.  The same store had the "Supernatural" '67 Impala, the Revell 1/24 '70 Firebird and other recent kits.  

Off-topic impulse buy, since it was 40% off: the 1/48 scale Revell P-61 "Black Widow." That was one of Monogram's best kits and the ONLY 1/48 P-61 for several decades.  In the past few years Great Wall Hobby and Hobby Boss have done modern P-61 kits. But that old Monogram kit still has a huge amount of aftermarket support.  I might even try to find one of the conversion kits to make it the F-15 Reporter recon aircraft.  I will need new display cases...BIG ones...

They must have gotten their print run goofed up on a subsequent reissue of the Beetle, because the 2013 box I have is printed correctly. Back then the U.S. boxing was the only way to get the Beetle kit here without importing one from Europe. This was a late 2012 kit, right after Hobbico bought RevellAG and in their infinite wisdom they elected to not directly import any of the AG boxings of the Beetle "Limo" into the U.S.

20201121_171351.thumb.jpg.d54bd68e9c3227abd90cf8cb1b0d1538.jpg

I received a Jimmy Flintstone 72 Pontiac Ventura trans kit for the AMT 72 Nova. It's a very nice, thin casting. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I have a couple of ideas. Think it may wind up somewhere between a "what-if" and kind of restomodded.

I got a Speedball metal leafing kit. I am going to see if I can use it on my Indy car. I used some years ago on this Revell '34 snapper, but, the sizing/adhesive had dried up. I am going to outline these numbers in red One-Shot, one of these days, soon. I may make this one my next BOYD entry, if there's a round, after the current one.

foil r web reflect 2.jpg

foil rr web.jpg

41 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

This arrived today, all the way from Norway! Pretty happy about this one, have been looking for a reasonably priced one for a long time.

20201123_161349.thumb.jpg.642426ffcc2dbb14223a202bba867017.jpg

Hahaha! My ex-neighbors (moved pre-Covid) had a bottle of the same hand sanitizer in their guest bathroom. It was on a shelf over the toilet, right at eye level if you were a guy, if you get my drift.

Oh, and nice model as well.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...