Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 1/9/2021 at 11:25 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

I really like Opel Mantas, especially the original A (I had a rough one in 1991-92) and the early B with chrome bumpers.

I've got a few photos of it, but there on my computer down in London, I'm stuck up in the Midlands due to the lock down, but it was silver with stripes just like this one i found on the 'net

opel_manta_400.jpg

23 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I've got a few photos of it, but there on my computer down in London, I'm stuck up in the Midlands due to the lock down, but it was silver with stripes just like this one i found on the 'net

opel_manta_400.jpg

a manta sport 400, you lucky man. these were rare right from the start and very few were silver, most were white. One of my friends has a project one and the price of parts is just stupid

8 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

You found those at dollarstore!? Great find! Never found anything like that on my local one! 

Yes i did but it seems like it is different at alot of their stores.
During my christmas vacation i looked in 6 different store in 6 different citys and none of them had the same.
It was around where my gf lives and on my way home from her so i did not just drive around to random citys stopping in their stores, they were all on my route anyway and i was not in a hurry home.

2 had no models at all, 2 had just the plane, porsche and a small uss hornet, 1 had the plane, porsche and mustang and the last had the plane, porsche and unimog.
But at one store the employee i talked to said that they could order it if i wanted.

8 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Definitely one to be right clicked and saved into the build folder.......

The kit looks like it contains the right parts to build something very close to that, main things being the front windows needing to be converted to one-piece glass and losing the rivets on the rear arches.

1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

Yes i did but it seems like it is different at alot of their stores.
During my christmas vacation i looked in 6 different store in 6 different citys and none of them had the same.
It was around where my gf lives and on my way home from her so i did not just drive around to random citys stopping in their stores, they were all on my route anyway and i was not in a hurry home.

2 had no models at all, 2 had just the plane, porsche and a small uss hornet, 1 had the plane, porsche and mustang and the last had the plane, porsche and unimog.
But at one store the employee i talked to said that they could order it if i wanted.

Interesting. I guess it’s up to the storage manager to decide what’s in there. I will ask them if they can order the Mog and mustang. ?

Well, the USPS finally released my package from Model Builder's Warehouse after holding it for 3 weeks. I know, first world problems. 

Anyway, on the left and right we have a Ford coyote 5.0 and Recaro seats from Clearly Scale. In the middle is a set of 15" Minilites with tires from Fireball Model Works. It all looks like quality parts. This was my first order from Model Builder's Warehouse and I am highly satisfied. 

20210111_214041.jpg

Got one of these circuit board holders from Amazon today - I’d seen other people use them and thought “meh, I’ve done this long without one”, but then the project I’m working on right now involves a bunch of Alclad’d parts that are going to be tough not to damage when I’m assembling them to the frame...

75916FF8-159E-4550-A92A-1CAA2834713E.thumb.jpeg.d6bf5ca20ba8d1fcceacc2b9ebaed1f8.jpeg

Seems super study and well made for $11 - I’m happy!

B20D52EF-4F31-491B-95B1-86F914B19E07.thumb.jpeg.3f225f1637c4c0dc9786e7dbfd85150f.jpeg

Also picked up a couple more of the MPC trike series - I’m planning on building all six at some point in the next year or two so I’m grabbing them now whilst they’re easy enough to find:

A981738C-1EB1-4044-9CB2-8D5CDD083FB7.thumb.jpeg.5ab624062dbdd32d1cb4107f59048db7.jpeg

And, whilst I was ordering stuff anyway, picked up some aluminum bar...ordered a lathe last week so I figured I should grab some material to make chips out of ?:

BFEBB2E5-ADF4-4F74-9D05-9476FB772C27.thumb.jpeg.76cd5e6a4e35dd88e6c9432bf038982c.jpeg

30 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Got one of these circuit board holders from Amazon today - I’d seen other people use them and thought “meh, I’ve done this long without one”, but then the project I’m working on right now involves a bunch of Alclad’d parts that are going to be tough not to damage when I’m assembling them to the frame...

75916FF8-159E-4550-A92A-1CAA2834713E.thumb.jpeg.d6bf5ca20ba8d1fcceacc2b9ebaed1f8.jpeg

Seems super study and well made for $11 - I’m happy!

B20D52EF-4F31-491B-95B1-86F914B19E07.thumb.jpeg.3f225f1637c4c0dc9786e7dbfd85150f.jpeg

Also picked up a couple more of the MPC trike series - I’m planning on building all six at some point in the next year or two so I’m grabbing them now whilst they’re easy enough to find:

A981738C-1EB1-4044-9CB2-8D5CDD083FB7.thumb.jpeg.5ab624062dbdd32d1cb4107f59048db7.jpeg

And, whilst I was ordering stuff anyway, picked up some aluminum bar...ordered a lathe last week so I figured I should grab some material to make chips out of ?:

BFEBB2E5-ADF4-4F74-9D05-9476FB772C27.thumb.jpeg.76cd5e6a4e35dd88e6c9432bf038982c.jpeg

Got me a couple of those Milk Trikes recently. Much narrower than I had envisioned. Would love to pick up.a few more in the series. They look like they will make fun little slump busters, although I have never really had that problem- usually too many projects going.

Later-

3 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Got me a couple of those Milk Trikes recently. Much narrower than I had envisioned. Would love to pick up.a few more in the series. They look like they will make fun little slump busters, although I have never really had that problem- usually too many projects going.

I started to collect them thinking the same thing...but then this post ruined that:

?

I’d like to do the whole set as nicely detailed as Eric’s build there...I'm not quite the builder he is but I think a row of six of these nicely finished like his would be cool!

5 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Jim, I got one of those circuit board holders a few months ago, never used it until today when I put on several decals on a  completed model body. Worked great.

Someone on Instagram had one they were using for painting too, so they could reposition whatever They’re painting easily.  I can see this thing becoming invaluable to be before too long and I’ll wonder how I worked without one!

Never saw a circuit board holder before, looks like a rotisserie, will keep in mind.

Via eBay, came from Malta in this package.  ?
IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.7c661f650905c305835f4a84eaeac10f.jpg

The only cardboard was around the sides, should have at least done the corrugation the other direction.
IMG_0910.thumb.jpg.b13bbe0ff2fd5f3742ac210f51a28598.jpg

Looks bad.?
IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.79809a9bab15fc91b8ce354bdfffe4de.jpg

Otherwise, I'm excited to have this crappy kit!  I found another forum, in Russia, a builder was correcting it, then the WIP stopped.
IMG_0912.thumb.jpg.f132686158f9e22ec0222734b3d21af1.jpg

Don't know if this is a good place to ask:  Is it worth keeping it sealed, since the box is trashed like this?  Yea it's 30 years old, sort of rare, can't imagine ever being re-popped again, I buy models to look at and build someday.  What is your opinion?

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Never saw a circuit board holder before, looks like a rotisserie, will keep in mind.

Via eBay, came from Malta in this package.  ?
IMG_0909.thumb.jpg.7c661f650905c305835f4a84eaeac10f.jpg

The only cardboard was around the sides, should have at least done the corrugation the other direction.
IMG_0910.thumb.jpg.b13bbe0ff2fd5f3742ac210f51a28598.jpg

Looks bad.?
IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.79809a9bab15fc91b8ce354bdfffe4de.jpg

Otherwise, I'm excited to have this crappy kit!  I found another forum, in Russia, a builder was correcting it, then the WIP stopped.
IMG_0912.thumb.jpg.f132686158f9e22ec0222734b3d21af1.jpg

Don't know if this is a good place to ask:  Is it worth keeping it sealed, since the box is trashed like this?  Yea it's 30 years old, sort of rare, can't imagine ever being re-popped again, I buy models to look at and build someday.  What is your opinion?

Kurt it’s different and has an 80s look and if it makes you happy then it’s worth it.. if you don’t build it it will look good on a shelf...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...