Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 2/8/2021 at 6:55 PM, Snake45 said:

Here it is. Overall not bad looking, but a lotta little things to fix. Glue boogers on the windscreens is just the most obvious (luckily, I have spares), and the too-high front end. I've already disassembled it (held together with HUGE gobs of some kind of rubbery goo--Gorilla Glue?) and started. Should be fun! 

66CudaFB50005.jpg.3d69857eb82ff14ac535ff14c8f23a88.jpg

66CudaFB50010.jpg.ab39dc47bc4c71b6587b3310cae54466.jpg

I remember seeing the film at the pictures when I was at school. Thought the car was really cool but do I remember that the 1:1 was a bit of a dog?

steve

3 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

I remember seeing the film at the pictures when I was at school. Thought the car was really cool but do I remember that the 1:1 was a bit of a dog?

steve

The 1:1 car has a 273 V8, biggest one you could get in a Barracuda at the time.  Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the car was actually a Valiant...pretty much the same thing after the roof is cut off.

I got the Round 2 reissue kit as a gift a couple of years ago, only recently did I get up the courage to try to do the pearl white/candy red fade paint job.  It actually came out good.  I did the paint around Thanksgiving, both colors are lacquer, should be thoroughly gassed out, cured, whatever, and ready to shoot some clear over by now...

9 hours ago, Mark said:

The 1:1 car has a 273 V8, biggest one you could get in a Barracuda at the time.  Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the car was actually a Valiant...pretty much the same thing after the roof is cut off.

The real car indeed had a regular 273, no chrome or anything.. typically movie car. Nothing done to it that wouldn’t show on film!

It is a Barracuda, I knew the guy who found it abandoned at the back of an auto dealer lot, and restored it. I’ve been under the hood and crawled in behind the seats. The Barracuda structure was there.

I got my spraygunner.com (they have great prices and quick shipping) order in today. Createx Reducer, Retarder, Balancing Clear and Gloss Clear as well as a couple more Pearlized colors, Tangerine and Turquoise. I also got some ebay orders in, four sets of Pegasus Wheels from Burbanks House of Hobbies, and the '29 Ford Roadster flame masks by New York Speed Shop, sold by iceman collections. I also re-upped some supplies from amazon, 400 double tipped swabs, 300 6 in. long bamboo double tipped swabs, 100 eyeliner brushes for fine details, 120 foam make-up applicators for burnishing BMF, a 10 pc. metal file assortment, wet/dry sandpaper 20 piece 400-10000 grit assortment, 100 medicine cups for paint mixing, a 3-pk of 6 mm. Tamiya Tape, and a 30 ml Molotow Chrome refill for airbrushing the stuff.

IMG_20210210_155653.jpg

DSCN5851.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I went back to Hobby Lobby today to take advantage of their 40% off all model kits for what could be the last time, who knows. Personally, I think even though they are doing away with the 40% off one item coupon, they might only plan to  lower the percentage savings similar to what Michaels did by going down to 20%. They could even continue to run specific % off sales on certain categories like they always have, maybe just not as often. We'll see at the end of February. It doesn't really matter anyways, unless they get more stock in, at least at the Flint, Mi. store, as the selection hasn't changed or been re-stocked in at least a couple of months. Pretty slim pickin's there lately.

IMG_20210211_110638.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, GeeBee said:

The first one that arrived sadly had a broken bodyshell, the second one arrived this morning, thankfully that was is fine, apart from a few light scuff marks on the roof, but nothing major, I found this on the Internet about the early and later bodyshells, the early one is on the left, the corrected one is on the right 

130_3045-vi.jpg

Yea, that's one of my pics. I can tell because I had cut the inner fenders out of the bad body

I did get the new body from Lindberg along with all the associated parts such as a complete glass shot, new hood with the whole tree it came on and, IIRC a new firewall, again with all the pieces on the tree with it. 

They were really good about sending along the corrected parts but that was ,, what, 20 years ago or more?

I wouldn't expect Round 2 to do the same.  ,, and I suspect the seller knew very well the parts were bad if the box was open.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Enough ignition wire to last me until the second coming! :P

image.jpeg.052904597a90517bdaf0d64a0fd91a1d.jpeg

Steve

That looks like a great purchase Steve. I'm curious as to whether you feel the scale thickness is good. Also where did you find this multi-color spool?

20 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, that's one of my pics. I can tell because I had cut the inner fenders out of the bad body

I did get the new body from Lindberg along with all the associated parts such as a complete glass shot, new hood with the whole tree it came on and, IIRC a new firewall, again with all the pieces on the tree with it. 

They were really good about sending along the corrected parts but that was ,, what, 20 years ago or more?

I wouldn't expect Round 2 to do the same.  ,, and I suspect the seller knew very well the parts were bad if the box was open.

To be fair to the seller, the model was still factory sealed, I got a partial refund off the seller, which I used to get a replacement bodyshell sent over from Round 2.

32 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

That looks like a great purchase Steve. I'm curious as to whether you feel the scale thickness is good. Also where did you find this multi-color spool?

The thickness is just a hair thicker than what M.A.D. uses for their pre-wired distributors.

It's 30 AWG "wrapping wire" that I got on Amazon.

If anyone can tell me where I can get large amounts of thinner insulated wire, I would be interested.

I'm guessing maybe 32 or 34 AWG?

Haven't been able to find any yet.

image.jpeg.bd114643de4b0cfeece58f0951d59331.jpeg

Edit:

I can get 32 AWG jacketed wire on ebay, but it appears that it all comes from China.

Not my preferred trading partner. <_<

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Package arrived from Burbank's. I have been patiently waiting for my LHS to get the Nova but so far no luck. I put my name on the "notify" list at Burbank's and grabbed one when they got them. The T1 was cheaper than my LHS, and since I was paying shipping on the Nova, I decided to grab one.

PXL_20210211_223702941.thumb.jpg.f386043841a3b0a487e1e59d684dc126.jpg

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

To be fair to the seller, the model was still factory sealed, I got a partial refund off the seller, which I used to get a replacement bodyshell sent over from Round 2.

Well, that's good then. 

Did you remember to get the hood and windshield too? You're gonna need them with the new body.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...