Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The thickness is just a hair thicker than what M.A.D. uses for their pre-wired distributors.

It's 30 AWG "wrapping wire" that I got on Amazon.

If anyone can tell me where I can get large amounts of thinner insulated wire, I would be interested.

I'm guessing maybe 32 or 34 AWG?

Haven't been able to find any yet.

Edit:

I can get 32 AWG jacketed wire on ebay, but it appears that it all comes from China.

Not my preferred trading partner. <_<

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steven, and thanks for giving good advice as to the AWG that I should look for.

1 hour ago, Bullybeef said:

A good friend bought out a local collection and passed these on to me! I was floored.

some may not be on my list as gee I have to build those, but some will be harvested for parts.

CA73E5C2-74FE-4C27-AC80-559D66588C8F.jpeg

Some nice kits, even a lil coffin ....

I’ve been planning to build all of the reissued MPC trikes and really wanted some sort of wire wheels for the front, having seen @Impalow use some for his.  I looked at a bunch of options...and then shamelessly just ordered the same (I think?) photoetch set as Eric used for his:

311A7CE0-4366-4583-991D-AE8348DDB0C6.thumb.jpeg.7e149d5cc6d636e6f364768f263e3ea4.jpeg

59EBB0DA-25CD-4D93-87FD-CECDBCB612BE.thumb.jpeg.56622d2638e737a07623fe4ac9ed6b0e.jpeg

I’ll need to machine a rim and center for them, but they’re a big improvement over the kit parts! Need to hit the local Ace Hardware and see if they’ve got any aluminum tube of about the right diameter to machine the rims for them over the weekend

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The thickness is just a hair thicker than what M.A.D. uses for their pre-wired distributors.

If anyone can tell me where I can get large amounts of thinner insulated wire, I would be interested.

image.jpeg.bd114643de4b0cfeece58f0951d59331.jpeg

Edit:

I can get 32 AWG jacketed wire on ebay, but it appears that it all comes from China.

Not my preferred trading partner. <_<

Steve

Several American or European made sources... https://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Hook-up-Wire/_/N-5ggs?P=1z0xfpoZ1yth3v7

https://www.newark.com/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/hook-up-wire?wire-gauge=34awg

This is a chart to find the correct size for the scale you work in. You might have to do some math

https://bulkwire.com/help/wire-gauge-awg-reference-table

Edited by lordairgtar

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Well, that's good then. 

Did you remember to get the hood and windshield too? You're gonna need them with the new body.

Thanks for the heads up, I totally forgot about that, I've sent an email to my contact @Round 2, hopefully he'll put those parts in with the bodyshell,  i know they wouldn't have sent the bodyshell out yet, 

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve been planning to build all of the reissued MPC trikes and really wanted some sort of wire wheels for the front, having seen @Impalow use some for his.  I looked at a bunch of options...and then shamelessly just ordered the same (I think?) photoetch set as Eric used for his:

Oh yeah those are the ones!   I used the cross-laced on my motorcycle and straight laced on the trike, they are really delicate.. so be super careful... i "buggerd" up the spokes on the motorcycle pretty bad, luckily its behind a lot of stuff and you cant see it.

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Check out these folks:  https://www.micronmeters.com/category/miniature-wire-and-cable

They have both single conductor and stranded insulated wire. I like the single conductor because it holds its shape better. The 32 AWG fits perfectly in R&M of MD drilled distributor caps.

41 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Oh yeah those are the ones!   I used the cross-laced on my motorcycle and straight laced on the trike, they are really delicate.. so be super careful... i "buggerd" up the spokes on the motorcycle pretty bad, luckily its behind a lot of stuff and you cant see it.

Good to know, thanks buddy! 

On 2/10/2021 at 5:08 AM, 64SS350 said:

My nephew's father passed away early in January. While cleaning out the house, he found these kits and gave them to me. Thankful for the gift, it makes it special when they are from someone you know.

IMG_20210208_043908513.jpg

Amazing, and yes, having a family member get them makes it that much more special. 

^^^Just ordered one of those scribers.

Also stopped by the Deerfield HobbyTown USA and picked up the Nova wagon (they have one more) - haven't heard from Des Plaines Hobbies yet. Then I hit HL down the street and didn't see any kits I wanted that much, but made a big score on a Testors Model Master Fantasy War Figure Metallizer paint set - regular $24.95, marked down to $6.24 (they have one more on the rack) - five bottles of flat metallics plus thinner. Won't be painting any fantasy war figures but I'm sure I can do some engine and chassis detailing.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

One of the local Hobby Lobby's has a better stock than the others so hit it this a.m. and grabbed the entire stock (both) of the Coca-Cola Volkswagen and the Maisto C7 Grand Sport.  I have a couple other editions of the VW but it's personal.  My dad brought a 1962 back from Germany when he was discharged from the AirForce.  It was his baby.  Dad's been gone coming up on four years, but as his dementia got worse, he had bought a 1972 VW a few years earlier so I took the tags off it and let him drive it around the back yard at his house......otherwise I knew I would get a call in the middle of the night from the Detroit police that my father had driven up there and had no clue how to get home.  The Corvette was an impulse thing as several of the Maisto kits come out really nice with some detailing.  (HL had six of those kits)

The Weird-Oh's Digger was from a thrift store that I stumbled on while in the store looking for stuffy's for my son's dog as she is a Golden puppy and has a tendency to de-stuff them fairly quickly.

PL Bug and Maisto Vette.jpg

On 2/6/2021 at 6:19 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I've built the early release. Apart from the very curved windscreen panel it was a great kit. I didn't even know about it until someone mentioned it. One other issue with the early kit is the front grill, the trim just bellow the hood where the turn signals are is just a plain blank piece of chrome, you can see it in the pic bellow. I thought there was a piece missing but no, that's how it was moulded! lol

61 Impala.jpg

Hopefully I'll get my hands on the later AMT version, my go to UK AMT stockist have them on backorder, I'll finish this one, but I'd rather have one with all the correct parts.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...