Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

HL again. Remember the other day when I got my coupon back, and I said I wouldn't be safe until after Saturday?

Yeah.

Got the Revell Jeep Honcho Ice Patrol pickup, which I'd had my eye on for the past couple years, as the last last 40% off kit, and with the coupon (drumroll please):

632156318_alumiliteorange.jpg.0afc5cee6d81c5c23a44ff9bcfc5ba53.jpg

Alumilite translucent orange dye. Now I can cast me some turn signal lenses! tango_face_grin.png.950044d0fcecb83941c9e29c5e0bb7ab.png And again I got the coupon back when I told the cashier I'd be saving it - she suggested I buy a frame for it... Guess I'll check out Michael's for that :P.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, Casey said:

Idea, good. Execution, not so much.

Is the filler a mix of sawdust, molasses, and Elmer's White glue? 😳

On 2/27/2021 at 12:20 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I guess they soon realized it wasn’t a great idea!  How does that sand? 

Many years ago I was at a show with my friend Chuck. He held up a body like that from a dealer’s junk box, I took one look and told him he was better off starting fresh than trying to fix that mess! He took my advice and tossed it back... and eventually built his own!

On 2/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Is that wood putty or bondo? 

i don't have a clue about it, it is as found....appears to be some sort of homemade fiberglas...it is what it is

I got a brand-spankin'-new Tropical Shine four-way polishing stick! It's a little smaller than the one it's replacing, which isn't a bad thing. I wore the old one out, but it will still work with the lathe. Also got a bottle of Dullcote. I hope I can reach the same agreement with using my airbrush that I finally have with things like sanding. I don't have a problem with using the airbrush, it's just a pain in the tuchus, mixing, cleaning...bleah. Much rather grab a can, and shoot!

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Continuing my effort to build a fleet of small cars............

Good to see you've got one, and interesting that it also has the racing parts with it.

The top of my windscreen frame was cracked, as it's pretty delicate there, otherwise I don't recall any issues when building it.

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good to see you've got one, and interesting that it also has the racing parts with it.

The top of my windscreen frame was cracked, as it's pretty delicate there, otherwise I don't recall any issues when building it.

Thanks. Yeah, I was happy to see the racing parts also (roll bar, steel wheels, and rear fender flares from what I can quickly see) although I'm sure I'll build it stock. That being said, I kinda like the look of the one in the picture posted below. The kit also comes with a hard and a soft uptop. These Fujimi and Tamiya kits just fall together.

I'm thinking I'll go with either a red or dark metallic blue exterior. Got to see what darker colors look good on it since the last two were shades of yellow.

Later-

Screenshot_20210303-040623.png

Edited by Modlbldr

10 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks. Yeah, I was happy to see the racing parts also (roll bar, steel wheels, and rear fender flares from what I can quickly see) although I'm sure I'll build it stock. That being said, I kinda like the look of the one in the picture posted below. The kit also comes with a hard and a soft uptop. These Fujimi and Tamiya kits just fall together.

I'm thinking I'll go with either a red or dark metallic blue exterior. Got to see what darker colors look good on it since the last two were shades of yellow.

Your issue also has the bonus of the bodyshell being moulded in white, mine was red. This was the one I did:

4062152484_1ce160518b_c.jpg

Fujimi 1:24 Nissan Fairlady Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

34 minutes ago, cobraman said:

1/16 and sealed ?  You going to pop it open and give us a look ?  Building it ?

Yes,, already did,  and yes. 😊 I plan to build it eventually, but not anytime soon, I don't think.

3 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Possibly an old PYRO tool?

Yes, it was originally a PYRO kit. The PYRO box art is much more appealing, but maybe for the next motorcycle I'll hold out for an original issue.

pyro_69_12-960.jpg.517436ceda69cd44f30b956d3c35abd1.jpg

Edited by Casey

11 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Your issue also has the bonus of the bodyshell being moulded in white, mine was red. This was the one I did:

4062152484_1ce160518b_c.jpg

Fujimi 1:24 Nissan Fairlady Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I was looking at that particular issue on eBay but found this one in a local shop for a little less $. Glad it's not in red. 

Later-

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...