Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

43 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Classic! Is that thread for wiring?

I’d just carefully clean it up and display it ! It’s history!

It is thread. I think I need to at least pull the body off to wash it since the interior appears to have corduroy glued on it. I can't imagine I'll be able to get that clean without having to get to it better. It even has wiring run for brake lines!

Later-

IMG_20210305_195414980.jpg

IMG_20210305_195426239.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

You may know I have a collection of old classic builds. They are the folk art of our youth!

For corduroy, if years of dust, try dry processes like brushing it off or  I have used masking tape to pull dirt away.   Be careful to preserve it best you can!

it looks like a great old build!

10 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

You may know I have a collection of old classic builds. They are the folk art of our youth!

For corduroy, if years of dust, try dry processes like brushing it off or  I have used masking tape to pull dirt away.   Be careful to preserve it best you can!

it looks like a great old build!

I think you're right. Cleaning it and keeping it the way it is will be best.

I pulled the body off to get to the interior. I can see that I need at least one part already. I am missing the driver's side rear wishbone.

Got the thing pulled apart as far as I'm taking it though.

IMG_20210305_200555616.jpg

IMG_20210305_200619784.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

Great exploded photos!  I like the brake lines!  If these old beauties could talk!  It makes you wonder if they won awards at local hobby shop competitions!

For parts like those wishbones, sometimes they were kitbashed from different sources, so they may not be from the original kit. In many cases I’ve replaced with a new period correct pair when I couldn’t match a single part. 

The corduroy looks great! There may have been a roll bar and it looks like something else was glued to the fabric next to the fuel cell.. maybe a battery?  

Definitely a keeper!

5 hours ago, Rodent said:

I would strip it, paint it yellow, and put some cheese company sponsor decals on it.

Very pale yellow or even off-white . . . decals from a Swiss Cheese brand.

Excellent original idea, Rodent.  But, then, of course . . . 

🌵😎

10 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

It is thread. I think I need to at least pull the body off to wash it since the interior appears to have corduroy glued on it. I can't imagine I'll be able to get that clean without having to get to it better. It even has wiring run for brake lines!

Later-

IMG_20210305_195414980.jpg

IMG_20210305_195426239.jpg

Tom, you find some neat models...

On 3/3/2021 at 5:21 PM, Casey said:

Yes, it was originally a PYRO kit. The PYRO box art is much more appealing, but maybe for the next motorcycle I'll hold out for an original issue.

Thanks for the vintage ad!  I've been trying to score that Lambretta scooter for years. Got the Vespa from eBay a LONG time ago. 

For their time, those 1/16 scale PYRO bike kits were very well done, especially the wire wheels.  One of these centuries, I might try swapping PYRO wheels with the clunkier wheels in the 1/16 scale Airfix Ariel Arrow kit. 

Thanks to a heads up from member Gary who bought one I was able to score a rare Landis Cobra also . His was the prototype . This one seems to have been finished off some because body is smooth and primed .  I never knew or heard of this company and kit . Thank you Gary ! 

0DBBA3F2-191B-473D-B31C-B37117293016.jpeg

848E2AF0-437C-475E-9FD7-C2F1E232769A.jpeg

30EC1FC2-DD46-4929-B589-6C1D0D8EC00D.jpeg

FE641A40-3C75-438C-AE13-24EEC2E2CAD8.jpeg

2 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Thanks to a heads up from member Gary who bought one I was able to score a rare Landis Cobra also . His was the prototype . This one seems to have been finished off some because body is smooth and primed .  I never knew or heard of this company and kit . Thank you Gary ! 

0DBBA3F2-191B-473D-B31C-B37117293016.jpeg

848E2AF0-437C-475E-9FD7-C2F1E232769A.jpeg

30EC1FC2-DD46-4929-B589-6C1D0D8EC00D.jpeg

FE641A40-3C75-438C-AE13-24EEC2E2CAD8.jpeg

Nice score.  I think I may have to get one just for the historical value and so I’m not the only kid on the Cobra block without one.😃

56 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Ya just had to do it huh Chaz, I know you'll kill it!!

I hope so.  First look at the kit, isn’t great.  The tail lights are completely wrong and not well crafted.  I’ll have to get creative to make it look decent!

Local toy show: Unbuilt Testor "Lincoln Mint" diecast '69 GTO kit, $10. Not bad considering what they're going for on eBay now. 

Fairly cleanly built glue bomb AMT 260 Cobra. 100% complete EXCEPT it's missing half the chrome windshield frame. I'd just shine it up and Snake-Fu it with the racing windshield from an unbuilt kit, EXCEPT there's significant glue damage on the body where the windshield frame once lived (the missing part, of course). So I'll strip the body, repair the damage, give it a quickie paint job and "rehab" it as a racer. I'll easy get my $5 worth of fun out of it. 

And apparently I didn't learn my lesson with Projekt Junknova. Bought a '66 Nova "junkyard." First glance in the box looks like most of two whole kits (the blue-painted Pro Shop kind), but it's missing a few key pieces to get even one whole car together, namely the rear bumper, hood chrome trim, and dashboard. (The other one has no body parts except the body itself.) Oh well, at least the glass is good and there's at least one set of headlights. Both (pro street) chassis seem to be complete (unlike Project Junknova), engines too, and I think one of them will end up under a '65 Nova junk body I'm rehabbing. Again, I'll get $5 worth of fun out of the mess. :lol:

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Interesting about the taillights, gotta see that.

Honestly, not a great kit overall. Can be made to look great with some work and looks good sitting on the shelf, but the closer you look, the more compromises and "close enough"s you see.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...