Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Picked these up today. The Ford and the Chevy from Hobby Lobby. No paint markdowns. And the Pinto from Micheal's. All 40% off. I see Micheals is issuing a %40 off coupon each month. And they are getting some different kits in. 

image0.jpeg

On 3/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, Snake45 said:

Local toy show: Unbuilt Testor "Lincoln Mint" diecast '69 GTO kit, $10. Not bad considering what they're going for on eBay now. 

Fairly cleanly built glue bomb AMT 260 Cobra. 100% complete EXCEPT it's missing half the chrome windshield frame. I'd just shine it up and Snake-Fu it with the racing windshield from an unbuilt kit, EXCEPT there's significant glue damage on the body where the windshield frame once lived (the missing part, of course). So I'll strip the body, repair the damage, give it a quickie paint job and "rehab" it as a racer. I'll easy get my $5 worth of fun out of it. 

And apparently I didn't learn my lesson with Projekt Junknova. Bought a '66 Nova "junkyard." First glance in the box looks like most of two whole kits (the blue-painted Pro Shop kind), but it's missing a few key pieces to get even one whole car together, namely the rear bumper, hood chrome trim, and dashboard. (The other one has no body parts except the body itself.) Oh well, at least the glass is good and there's at least one set of headlights. Both (pro street) chassis seem to be complete (unlike Project Junknova), engines too, and I think one of them will end up under a '65 Nova junk body I'm rehabbing. Again, I'll get $5 worth of fun out of the mess. :lol:

Here's the Nova Junkyard. If I had the three missing pieces, I could get one of them on the shelf in about 2 hours. I can overcome, but it will take me some time to scratchbuild the hood chrome trim piece, and then search the parts boxes for a suitable dashboard and rear bumper. Oh well, it'll be "fun." :lol:

66NovaGB203.jpg.73a36b50471d3ef271f29a3308e1b202.jpg

And here's the glue bomb Cobra. The paint looks much better in the pic than in 3D; it's quite orange-peeled and of course I can't live with those huge molding lines running down the tops of the fenders, so it'll have to be stripped. Notice the bad glue damage where the windshield mounts, and the missing part of the windshield frame. 

64CobraGB04.jpg.3815cb77177fec85053ecbc9d7aac9fe.jpg

64CobraGB05.jpg.47c142368af96ac87808d9e3485e36ac.jpg

64CobraGB07.jpg.7f49f7abb5c64157a15ecdee577fbb13.jpg

But there's a twist in the plot: I don't have it apart yet, but it looks like it might be one of the semi-rare AMT Cobra kits molded in green, and I've been looking for one of those for a while now. If it is, I'll polish the plastic out and display it with my rainbow of polished plastic models. If the glue damage goes into the body, which I'm pretty sure it does, I won't be able to use the little racing windshield; I'll have to steal a new stock windshield frame (and probably the windshield) out of an unbuilt kit (I have two or 3) and use it. If I have to go that way, it'll be worth it! B)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

But there's a twist in the plot: I don't have it apart yet, but it looks like it might be one of the semi-rare AMT Cobra kits molded in green, and I've been looking for one of those for a while now.

Snake, those green Cobras aren't that hard to find. It's the "Reggie Jackson" series you're looking for. There's 5 on the bay right now.

Boxart Ford 289 Cobra PK-4182 Matchbox/AMT

4 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Snake, those green Cobras aren't that hard to find. It's the "Reggie Jackson" series you're looking for. There's 5 on the bay right now.

If you want to kit the kit green it’s okay but otherwise I would avoid that kit.  All the parts that would be molded in white are also green.

Otherwise it is the same as most of the other many reissued versions over the last fifty years.

BAE1D002-6263-42B6-8181-87B3ED92DC28.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Thanks. I found four of them very fast. Looks like if I'm lucky, the least I'd have to pay would be at least $20 (counting shipping). I have a whole $5 in this one. 

But if it turns out not to be green, or not savable for some reason, I just might go hunting for one. Thanks for the info! B)

The green of the built Cobra looks like metallic.  It might be sprayed over molded green, but the kit green is solid.  It's pretty much the same green as the Barris Cruisin' USA '66 Mustang.  The Reggie Jackson Cobra was molded in that green, there is also a Lesney issue in that green.  It and the Reggie Jackson issue may have been produced together for a while...same plastic parts and tires, dropped into different boxes with different paper (instructions/decals).  Lesney did that with several kits during their ownership of AMT.  Heck, even the original AMT did that every so often.

19 minutes ago, Mark said:

The green of the built Cobra looks like metallic.  It might be sprayed over molded green, but the kit green is solid.  It's pretty much the same green as the Barris Cruisin' USA '66 Mustang.  The Reggie Jackson Cobra was molded in that green, there is also a Lesney issue in that green.  It and the Reggie Jackson issue may have been produced together for a while...same plastic parts and tires, dropped into different boxes with different paper (instructions/decals).  Lesney did that with several kits during their ownership of AMT.  Heck, even the original AMT did that every so often.

Yes It is painted Testors British racing metallic green over the original green kit body.  For some of the other parts that had to be painted I used parts molded in white as painting silver or aluminum over green plastic isn’t the best option.  Personally I would never even try to paint green parts a light color like white or yellow for fear of color bleed.

47 minutes ago, Mark said:

The green of the built Cobra looks like metallic.  It might be sprayed over molded green, but the kit green is solid.  It's pretty much the same green as the Barris Cruisin' USA '66 Mustang.  

Yah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I already have a metallic BRG one. I'm trying to get as many polished plastic colors as possible, and I don't have this one yet. B)

13 hours ago, thatz4u said:

got this book...here's a peek inside

I've had that one pretty much since it first came out here in the '90s. Very useful source of reference to me in pre-internet days, and still used now as my wifi signal doesn't extend out to the shed where I do most of my building.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, Snake45 said:

Here's the Nova Junkyard. If I had the three missing pieces, I could get one of them on the shelf in about 2 hours. I can overcome, but it will take me some time to scratchbuild the hood chrome trim piece, and then search the parts boxes for a suitable dashboard and rear bumper. Oh well, it'll be "fun." :lol:

66NovaGB203.jpg.73a36b50471d3ef271f29a3308e1b202.jpg

Snake, PM me, I have a new hood piece

Edited by VW93
Spelling

13 minutes ago, VW93 said:

Snake, PM me, I have a new hood piece

Thanks so much, Frank. The PM system here won't work for me for some reason, but you can email me at 

SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com

...and we can arrange something. Thanks! 

First visit to the big local Flea Market in months.  Almost had a heart attack when I saw the box for an AMT '62 Nova sitting on a table.  But it was just the box, empty.  The same table had an original AMT '50 Ford box, with some random glued and painted parts inside.  Not even worth haggling over. 

I did pick up recent issues of "Collectible Automobile," "Hemmings Classic Car" and "Hemmings Muscle Car" for $2.00 each.  So the morning wasn't a total loss.  And I got some badly-needed exercise.

Edited by Mike999
goof

2 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Picked up another lot of rebuilders, got my second amt/mpc 1975 blazer. I need more of these for parts to fix/finish the two I have

Is that an AMT '32 Ford Sedan in the center(-ish)? I may have looked at that lot on eBay if it's the one I'm thinking of. 🤔

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...