Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Received my first 3d printed body of a custom vw type 3. It seems the tamiya bug chassis will work under it but I'll have to scratch the interior. I think I'll be putting the glass back to more stock ish. Kinda excited to get this one on the bench

DSC06452.JPG

DSC06444.JPG

DSC06446.JPG

DSC06447.JPG

DSC06448.JPG

DSC06450.JPG

DSC06451.JPG

11 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Well, I haven't received them, yet, but I did my part to stimulate the economy. Since I got the deposit,  and Saturday is my birthday,  I splurged and bought a couple of things I have wanted,  for a while. First, I picked up a Maverick promo. Second, I won an auction for a looks-to-be cleanly assembled Monogram California Street Vette. I have never owned one, and have always loved the way it looks.  It will likely move to the front of the line,  after I finish the Mack. I'm pretty excited about it! I also picked up ten bottles of MM metalizers. Here are a couple of photos from the CSV auction. Extra happy that it's  not painted--at all!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1606.jpg

Congratulations on your win!

14 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Received my first 3d printed body of a custom vw type 3. It seems the tamiya bug chassis will work under it but I'll have to scratch the interior. I think I'll be putting the glass back to more stock ish. Kinda excited to get this one on the bench

DSC06452.JPG

DSC06444.JPG

DSC06446.JPG

DSC06447.JPG

DSC06448.JPG

DSC06450.JPG

DSC06451.JPG

I wonder if whoever was creating this was watching an episode of Columbo at the time.

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

Striking fear into criminals everywhere:4B2B3BFD-AFD3-45B2-AA7A-B0DA2F2A8067.thumb.jpeg.85f98735099dcdaa70c316bd33e97353.jpeg

As a matter of fact, when visiting The Republic of Ireland in 2004, I saw a Nissan Micra that was done up in Garda livery. The light bar was almost as large as the Micra. It was on Garnish Island, so I don't think high speed pursuit was a priority. Sadly, I didn't get a photo of it.

Snagged some bits from sportfuryus on eBay:

1667608737_62F-85underhood.jpg.c23df7d95bf9d764d0b0bf27b40cdf98.jpg

Just the underhood stuff from a '62 F-85; had a bid in on the engine as well but I got caught napping and lost out.

Got these for when I work up the ambition to cut open the hood on my '61 Buick Special wagon and put in an engine. 

Trying to avoid buying more kits at present, I have plenty to keep me going for the next decade or so. But supplies are needed to build them......

IMG_6030.jpg.bfd6b2fdf5b30246ec3cd2d4cf540abe.jpg

I've been having good results recently with Halfords automotive paints. These colours were all on clearance at £3 a can, they all seem to be late 1980s/1990s colours so are ideal for many of the kits in my stash and some will suit older stuff. The Kingfisher Blue is one of those classic '90s turquoise colours that sometimes looked a bit inappropriate on the 1:1 1980s throwbacks they offered it on.

7 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Trying to avoid buying more kits at present, I have plenty to keep me going for the next decade or so. But supplies are needed to build them......

IMG_6030.jpg.bfd6b2fdf5b30246ec3cd2d4cf540abe.jpg

I've been having good results recently with Halfords automotive paints. These colours were all on clearance at £3 a can, they all seem to be late 1980s/1990s colours so are ideal for many of the kits in my stash and some will suit older stuff. The Kingfisher Blue is one of those classic '90s turquoise colours that sometimes looked a bit inappropriate on the 1:1 1980s throwbacks they offered it on.

Nice looking colors Nigel.

Later-

The LMMCC had its first meeting in months; one member won a Polyglas Gasser II '62 Pontiac in the raffle. He wasn't too interested, so another fellow and I bought and split it - I got the sidepipes, chrome reverses and all the tires and he got the rest to upgrade an original AMT '61 Bonnevile. A bit after we left, I realized I hadn't taken the whitewall inserts for the stock tires (D'OH!) - guess I'll leave a message in the club newsletter and Facebook to try and get them back... should have got his name at least :wacko:

16 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I agree. It's hard to find light blue and green.

21 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice looking colors Nigel.

I don't know if others do the same, but I quite enjoy buying slightly random colours, doing a bit of research on what used them at 1:1 then seeing what ideas come to mind with what I have in the stash.

I got all these bottles of metalizers and the Maverick from different Ebay sales. Picked up the Krylon Black sprays (Satin, Flat), two cans of Model Master Buffing Aluminum Plate, and two of Dullcote and the swabs, at Hobby Lobby. And, I got some LEDs to light my display case!

DSC_0003cr.jpg.5be81c6d6a8908cc87c4032e7ce110cc.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg.9be271ee04e037d4e8fd6e5355db1629.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg.53a4d9f8d0698f3dc0dcea6a07d0b220.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg.3bfdf14e3bd054af59aebe9582203b62.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

Received this incredible resin cast 1/24 Ford 289 w/ 4 Webber’s from Model Builder Warehouse recently. One of the Webber’s had a slight short-shot on one of the velocity stacks but Randy @ MBW is sending me a replacement - great service! 

My plan: use this 289 in the Moebius ‘65 Comet A/FX kit to build a B/FX version. I built an A/FX version of Hayden Proffitt’s car with this kit and loved Moebius’s version of the big 427 cammer engine so much, I ordered a 2nd kit to use this same engine in an A/FX ‘65 Mustang I want build (based on Revell’s 1/24 Mustang 2+2 kit).  Now that I have an extra engine-less 65 Comet, why not build a 289 drag car version? I’m hoping the slight scale mismatch of the 1/24 289 in the 1/25 Comet won’t be too noticeable - the kit’s 1/25 427 cammer looks huge as it is! I would love to build Doug Nash’s B/FX but I don’t believe there are any decals available and being white letters on a dark car(red), probably not an easy DIY decal project....anyone know of any ‘65 Comet B/FX decals out there????

John

5B60759A-9B3C-41FA-9A81-F94A9D62D28F.jpeg

63BC0D08-A12E-4A48-BF2D-21C23CD067B1.jpeg

55607352-9F95-493A-80FE-83847E198E75.png

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I got all these bottles of metalizers and the Maverick from different Ebay sales. Picked up the Krylon Black sprays (Satin, Flat), two cans of Model Master Buffing Aluminum Plate, and two of Dullcote and the swabs, at Hobby Lobby. And, I got some LEDs to light my display case!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

Sweet Maverick! Is it a promo or a full kit? I recently got its twin, right down to the color, except mine's missing about half of one A-pillar. It's destined to become a Dyno Don Pro Stock since I can't afford one of those anymore. Drive on! 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sweet Maverick! Is it a promo or a full kit? I recently got its twin, right down to the color, except mine's missing about half of one A-pillar. It's destined to become a Dyno Don Pro Stock since I can't afford one of those anymore. Drive on! 

It's a promo. I figured that since I want to build it, the promo is as good as a kit. If I want to go full out, detail-wise, it's a good start, and, should curbside be the ticket...well! Besides,  I don't need to tell you what the kits are going for! 🙂

This arrived a day earlier than initially expected! Upon initial inspection, there is slight glue damage to the spare tire well, and to the chassis, where the shocks attach, and a very small blemish or two along the top of the windshield--barely noticeable! It's very nicely built, unpainted. There were a few extra parts from another on, in the  box--six or seven. Also, there was an end panel from an original issue kit, and an instruction sheet. I put it in my display case, to await completion of the Mack. I might as well enjoy, until then, too!

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...