Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Speaking of Sam I Am, thanks to him I got most of a '70 Buick GSX engine/trans to fix up the AMT '69 430 to look more like a 455 for my '70 Wildcat. Got the belts/pulleys/PS pump, alternator, and the one valve cover in the purple pond right now. :)

Glad you could use it, and even happier that I could finally send you something.  😃

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Sam, you have plenty to work on after that haul!

You ain't just whistling 😲

AMT went to the non-warping plastic in '61 on a few models.  I have a yellow Starliner and a Falcon with no warp.  The only Falcon that really warped was the '60, so I bought the kit version in styrene.

I went to Hobby Lobby today and got a '66 Wiidcat to scratch build a correct interior with Evergreen plastic.  I also got the Schwinn 10-speed bike.

I took advantage of the Hobby Lobby 40% off-kits deal right now too (before they take it away again) and grabbed a couple of kits that they’ve added to the selection at our local store.

Wanted to add a Willys to the collection for a while...I’d actually really like to do one of the more modern Revell 41 kits but I also like a vintage racecar, so this will be a fun one:

2B9EFFCF-CC99-48FE-A6F2-933BECECC113.thumb.jpeg.66ae7dc611a89350d64af984351884a4.jpeg

And I’ve had an idea for a severely-lowered and airbagged 70s NYPD cop car build for a while - something a little trashy that some enterprising builder would’ve rescued and given a second life - need to do some research on era-correct paint colors and find some decals next!

ED263A30-5638-4753-8657-9EEB7FF0523B.thumb.jpeg.bd8c887cc33c76e598a4c1e7e2b2ff7d.jpeg

And finally, the mailman brought some acrylic rod that I ordered that I wanted to try machining to make custom brake lights and other cool clear stuff - looks like it’ll work great!

2B86CFF2-F634-4D15-B2E9-BAE1BF1849A3.thumb.jpeg.3a9d496acb6637fff0b5a1540eb84d73.jpeg

1CE24E42-07F1-4BC8-A02D-32D831B0FB88.thumb.jpeg.322fbbf80ab9c44a2c08f608fb184f07.jpeg

Got the custom front end pieces for the AMT 65 Impala in a trade today.

3 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

And finally, the mailman brought some acrylic rod that I ordered that I wanted to try machining to make custom brake lights and other cool clear stuff - looks like it’ll work great!

2B86CFF2-F634-4D15-B2E9-BAE1BF1849A3.thumb.jpeg.3a9d496acb6637fff0b5a1540eb84d73.jpeg

1CE24E42-07F1-4BC8-A02D-32D831B0FB88.thumb.jpeg.322fbbf80ab9c44a2c08f608fb184f07.jpeg

I.like that idea. I'll have to order some for myself  once I get my lathe and mill up and running.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Went to the local IPMS show and picked up 2 Grumpy's Vegas , a Polar Lights 69 Coke Cyclone , a Monogram 55 street machine (old Bad Man) , Early Irons 30 Ford Touring and 36 Ford convertible . I took my 5 year old grandson (his first show) and he had a great time , was fascinated with  all the different models , picked up a snap monster truck and a couple of die cast for him. 

Local toy show day. Got three new glue bombs/rebuilders for $5 each. 

*VERY cleanly built, never painted, '65 Galaxie on bigs n littles with Cragars and a nice rake. Should be an easy Snake-Fu fixup. 

*Cleanly built and complete Monogram '71 GTX. Only problem is that the yellow paint is very thin on the front valence/skirt piece. Will have to try to match it. If I can't, not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe paint satin black below the body line, like the '69 GTX?

*Monogram '68 GTO, painted purple and fairly decent at first glance. But the roof is glue-roached (why do people think you need to use half a tube of glue on the windows?) , and the hole in the hood was poorly filled. Bought it just for the wheels and tires--some nice Torq-Thrusts on some nice tires. They're worth $5 to me all by themselves. 

No tempting Welly diecasts at the Rite-Aid. They had a blue '68 Firebird, but I alreay have one. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...