Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

i had every intention on building these, but now that they arrived, i dont know if i can bring myself to it.  Both of these are so exciting to me.

On top AMT 1967 corvette from the 60's still sealed. 

the other

MPC 1965 Corvette, only missing the parachute. never started 

Not sure if i can rotate the picture?

16219711766115085198277081674543.jpg

16219711996277871976583670663977.jpg

Edited by youpey

That AMT '67 Vette will be familiar to you if you've built or seen the oft-reissued '63 Coupe, as most of its parts live on in the current kit. Still pretty cool, though. That's not the '67 annual, but a reissue, might have been the first, or perhaps the second. The molds were later modified back to the '63. 

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That AMT '67 Vette will be familiar to you if you've built or seen the oft-reissued '63 Coupe, as most of its parts live on in the current kit. Still pretty cool, though. That's not the '67 annual, but a reissue, might have been the first, or perhaps the second. The molds were later modified back to the '63. 

the kit number says T238-225. I think its still a 60's release, i found the scalemates on it, and the seller also mentioned it was a 60s release. could be a reissue for sure though

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-t238-225-sting-ray--1255721

Edited by youpey

3 minutes ago, youpey said:

could be a reissue for sure though

No doubt about it. I have the '67 Annual box and that's not it. Not sure when that issue came out--could have been '68 or '69 or no later than the very early '70s. Cool box. I believe the contents are identical to the annual kit. 

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

No doubt about it. I have the '67 Annual box and that's not it. Not sure when that issue came out--could have been '68 or '69 or no later than the very early '70s. Cool box. I believe the contents are identical to the annual kit. 

I am glad to hear its an older kit. I got worried for a minute :)

i am actually more excited about the MPC 65 kit. that one is my new pride and joy of all my kits

Edited by youpey

1 hour ago, youpey said:

the kit number says T238-225. I think its still a 60's release, i found the scalemates on it, and the seller also mentioned it was a 60s release. could be a reissue for sure though

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-t238-225-sting-ray--1255721

I believe the first appearance of that reissue was in the 1970 AMT catalogue.  My reference is not 100% complete, so I stand to be corrected.

Re Scalemates.....lots of useful information on that site, but take it with a grain of salt. Errors do exist.

Still a cool kit, though.  I paid pretty decent money for one at a swap meet a few years ago.

41 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I believe the first appearance of that reissue was in the 1970 AMT catalogue.  My reference is not 100% complete, so I stand to be corrected.

Re Scalemates.....lots of useful information on that site, but take it with a grain of salt. Errors do exist.

Still a cool kit, though.  I paid pretty decent money for one at a swap meet a few years ago.

i paid quite a lot for this one. its almost the most i ever paid for a model. the highest kits i ever bought was a tie.

AMT Wild Hoss Bronco 
Revell LA Sheriff Bronco

i honestly dont want to become a collector, it will get too expensive for me. i did it once before with a different hobby and it gets expensive :)

(i think im already a collector)

Edited by youpey

Well it was a sojourn of almost 50 days (some Express level of shipping that was)  but for all the delays, it was one of the best conditions I've received one in, in terms of shipping related damage. But happy to have this one on board and not floating around in Shanghai waiting to come over. 

20210525_190443.thumb.jpg.62186a0858b8882f8c000f17af6c94b8.jpg

1 hour ago, youpey said:

i honestly dont want to become a collector, it will get too expensive for me. i did it once before with a different hobby and it gets expensive :)

He he he... just ask me about my stamp collection!  When people here are astounded by what they paid for a kit, I wanna say, “Hey! Hold my beer!”

Just scored two kits on my bucket list in one lot, a Monogram SWB Land Rover and a Cheetah. Price for the lot was probably about what I would have paid for the two individually, and I’ll load the Panteras and a couple others back up on eBay, so I think I got a good deal.  The LWB Land Rovers look decent so I might clean them up for display and unload the unbuilt ones in my stash as well. 

1D32E188-E697-419A-BFFE-BE427C31C9EB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

He he he... just ask me about my stamp collection!  When people here are astounded by what they paid for a kit, I wanna say, “Hey! Hold my beer!”

I used to collect sealed vintage star wars figures. My cheapest figure was way more expensive than my most expensive model. i suspect it doesnt hold a candle to how expensive stamps go for. those can go for a ton

Edited by youpey

7 hours ago, youpey said:

i had every intention on building these, but now that they arrived, i dont know if i can bring myself to it.  Both of these are so exciting to me.

the other

Not sure if i can rotate the picture?

16219711766115085198277081674543.jpg

16219711996277871976583670663977.jpg

Cool looking kits..

19 hours ago, youpey said:

the other

Here's my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. I happen to be a special fan of original annual '63-'67 Vettes and have accumulated at least one each of the AMTs (coupe and roadster) and three MPC '66s. None of the MPCs is an intact kit so they're builders to me and I've already done one of them. 

The AMT '67 Vette coupe is a cool old kit but IMHO it is in no way superior to the commonly available "new" Revell '67 coupe. The Revell has a more accurate shape and is MUCH better detailed. The only thing going for the AMT is if you happen to like the custom/racing parts (some of which are still found in the oft-reissued AMT '63) or the decals or original box or instructions. I have several of them (AMT '67s). One is new in box and will remain that way. One was built fairly cleanly and I just cleaned it up and fixed a few things and put it on the shelf. One was built but had a certain amount of glue damage on the body and I'll eventually fix that one and do a nice "factory stock" rebuild on it, just because I like the old AMT kits. If/when I want a really nice '67 Vette coupe model, I'll build a Revell. 

The situation is different for the roadsters. The Revell '67 Roadster body isn't accurate (though it can be modified to look better). Again, it's more detailed than the AMT kit. But the AMT '67 roadster kit came with optional hard top (which won't fit the Revell kit without modification), a "panel delivery top," a soft up-top, and I think an all-clear top too, and of course the usual compliment of AMT racing and custom option goodies. I've also accumulated several of these. I built one of the Revells and I'll never build another one. My next '67 Vette roadsters will all be built on original AMT glue bombs/rebuilders. 

Your MPC '65 is an interesting case. Overall body shape is very similar to the AMT (but not identical) and again, not as accurate as the Revell '67 coupe. But your MPC is a '65, and there are no other '65 Vette kits available in 1/25 at this time. So it's pretty desirable (as are the MPC '66 and the AMT '65s and '66s). Would be worth building if you can do a nice job on it; would also be worth just squirreling away unbuilt. 

Again, just my own opinions on these kits. 

Dropped by my local Hobby Lobby today to pick up a few small items with no intention of buying a kit, because I always wait until the 40% off sales. When I got to the aisle I saw the 40% off sign up. I knew it was wrong because the sale went off on the 22nd, and sure enough the sign said ends May 22nd. I ask one of the associates about it and she said get a kit and take the sign with you to check out and they should give you the discount. So I got this...........

download.jpg

Somewhere else on this forum, happened upon a search about finding holy grail subjects, which I named one model.  Thought I would search eBay, found this, watched dead bidding, made last minute bid and won.  I know it's got to be rare.

Ad I clipped.
1000636389_SportstarPhoenixModels.thumb.jpg.14b0c36563230a201f9c822b244aafde.jpg

1208417581_eBaySportstar.jpg.b32f46b421d6514d6c825be71594148f.jpg

Thought I wasn't buying any more.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:45 PM, FredRPG said:

Just scored two kits on my bucket list in one lot, a Monogram SWB Land Rover and a Cheetah. Price for the lot was probably about what I would have paid for the two individually, and I’ll load the Panteras and a couple others back up on eBay, so I think I got a good deal.  The LWB Land Rovers look decent so I might clean them up for display and unload the unbuilt ones in my stash as well. 

1D32E188-E697-419A-BFFE-BE427C31C9EB.jpeg

I count six Pantera’s.  Nice score.

22 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Somewhere else on this forum, happened upon a search about finding holy grail subjects, which I named one model.  Thought I would search eBay, found this, watched dead bidding, made last minute bid and won.  I know it's got to be rare.

Ad I clipped.
1000636389_SportstarPhoenixModels.thumb.jpg.14b0c36563230a201f9c822b244aafde.jpg

Cool kit.  I have a couple of those.

31 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Ad I clipped.

Nice find!  I hadn’t seen that one before...is it based on a real 1:1?

I’ve been adding to my weathering arsenal lately - I’d used my wife’s watercolor pencils so much that she was irritated at me always having them put away somewhere where she couldn’t find them (she’s a full-time artist, so I guess she needs her art stuff sometimes).  Found a set of 72 (crucially with 10-15 brown and rust colors) for under $20, and also picked up some crackle paint that I’d seen used to GREAT effect in this old post:

Excited to do another old and crusty build now!

E37AB706-20B3-4422-989C-72D8EC4477BD.thumb.jpeg.641a1f391f3b5ea5aaf0ae218eb0b1a7.jpeg

Having received a LEGO Land Rover Defender kit from our eldest son who is in Canada for my birthday I had to tell him I had last year already bought and built one! He contacted Amazon who sent him, which was forwarded to me a returns pack. I sent it to the address as requested to Bratislava. 6 weeks on it came back unopened although I had tracked it to their warehouse there. I then put it on e bay UK and it sold. With that cash I bought another LEGO kit..

photo-th.jpg  

I will start to build it as soon as I have finished my present project. 

And from the rest of the cash from the sale of the Lego Land Rover..

photo-th.jpg

A friend rallied one of these in the day, when he had a rally spares shop. He went on to be the team chief at Peugeot Rally Team GB.

Edited by PatW

20 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Ad I clipped.

Congratulations on scoring one of your grail kits….

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...