Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 6/21/2021 at 11:13 AM, imarriedawitch said:

Acquired these over the last couple of weeks. The Flashpoint Daytona was from eBay and took every penny of my single, last second snipe attempt. Two of us bid the same dollar amount but I had a few pennies added to my bid and that was the difference. The Gibson engines from a buddy that can't build anymore. The Johan kits are from eBay and the NuNu kits are from Supernova Models. The Salvino kits are from a couple of vendors if I remember correctly.

DSCN0420b.jpg

I just bought the Chevy Cruze kit myself,haven't seen any aftermarket decals for it yet.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

I just bought the Chevy Cruze kit myself,haven't seen any aftermarket decals for it yet.

I believe Frankie's (S.K. Decals) sheets for it are still available. The only other sheets were from AutoColour which is BeemaNuNu's in house decal brand and have been OOP for awhile now...except the livery that comes in the box, that was an AutoColour sheet back in the day.

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

great find, what are the others?  

The other three are:

--Model Cars Mag, October 2001.  The issue with the giant club diorama, "GFD Auto Sales."

--Car Modeler, July 1998

--Model Car Journal, October 1991

The vendor had quite a few more old modeling magazines, like Scale Auto Enthusiast.  He also had a big stack of AMT and Monogram NASCAR kits, all dating from the 1990s.  It looked like somebody got into the hobby for a while and gave it up.  Then probably stashed all their model stuff in a barn and forgot about it. 

Other than that, no car kits at the Flea Market today.  I bought a partly-built/painted Monogram 1/48 scale B-17.  I think it's the first issue from about 1975.  Not much interest in building it.  But it was cheap and I wanted the crew figures, bomb cart and some other parts. Or maybe I'll hack it apart and do a "Best Years of Our Lives" diorama... 

1 minute ago, Mike999 said:

I bought a partly-built/painted Monogram 1/48 scale B-17.  I think it's the first issue from about 1975.  Not much interest in building it.  But it was cheap and I wanted the crew figures, bomb cart and some other parts. Or maybe I'll hack it apart and do a "Best Years of Our Lives" diorama... 

If you do, this may help - The plane Dana Andrews climbs into, and a recently-discovered image of the same plane in service:

03.jpg.c4f12332e83432d3c4bba876705ac263.jpg

68847219_B-17Ftrainer42-3463bestyears.jpg.1ed65333f0e22cb200f05de425c064f0.jpg

It was a trainer in the US during the war; the nose art Round ? Trip and bomb mission markings were added by the studio.

• Thanks 1

Couple years ago I bought at Walmart  can of Rustoleum Charcoal Gray Metallic paint. (Looks like the only other color in this line is the Cobalt Blue, with which I've done a couple decent paint jobs.) Wanted it for a particular diecast I'm gonna get around to SOMEDAY.  Now, sometime, in the last six months or so, I was working on something else that I thought that metallic gray would have been perfect for, so I went looking for my can of it, and couldn't find it anywhere. And Walmart didn't have the paint (of course). But I can't remember what that project was--whether I pressed on with some other color, or shelved the whole thing. :unsure:

So Walmart had the paint again this week so I got a new can. Now I can't remember what I wanted to use it on (except for that diecast, which isn't on my immediate build schedule)! :angry:

What would look good in a metallic dark gray? Only thing I can think of offhand might be a Dodge Stealth. Any other ideas? 

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Couple years ago I bought at Walmart  can of Rustoleum Charcoal Gray Metallic paint. (Looks like the only other color in this line is the Cobalt Blue, with which I've done a couple decent paint jobs.) Wanted it for a particular diecast I'm gonna get around to SOMEDAY.  Now, sometime, in the last six months or so, I was working on something else that I thought that metallic gray would have been perfect for, so I went looking for my can of it, and couldn't find it anywhere. And Walmart didn't have the paint (of course). But I can't remember what that project was--whether I pressed on with some other color, or shelved the whole thing. :unsure:

So Walmart had the paint again this week so I got a new can. Now I can't remember what I wanted to use it on (except for that diecast, which isn't on my immediate build schedule)! :angry:

What would look good in a metallic dark gray? Only thing I can think of offhand might be a Dodge Stealth. Any other ideas? 

I painted mpc 79 trans am dark gray metallic. 

Almost anything would look in that color. How about foose 56 ford?

Just my thoughts...

35 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

How about an early ‘vette? Or anything with a fair bit of chrome to accent the paint.

66FEC946-F4CE-4313-BE37-18155F986394.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Old age Bro. LOLZ

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

A late model Challenger, with the graphics in flat black?

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

land yacht, pickup....

11 hours ago, P51Mustang said:

I painted mpc 79 trans am dark gray metallic. 

Almost anything would look in that color. How about foose 56 ford?

Just my thoughts...

Thanks for all the input and ideas, fellas! Much appreciated! 

I don't have a 2G Trans Am or a Foose 56 Ford in the stash. Good ideas, though. 

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

How about an early ‘vette? Or anything with a fair bit of chrome to accent the paint.

Interesting possibility. I have quite a few in the stash, but none of them high on the Build List. 

10 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Old age Bro. LOLZ

Don't I know it! Near as I can figure, I went looking for it maybe when I was doing the '69 Firebird diecast that I ended up painting flat black, or possibly the glue bomb AMT '70 Challenger I rehabbed and painted the Rustoleum Cobalt Blue metallic. 

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

A late model Challenger, with the graphics in flat black?

Only late Challenger I have is a prepainted (Hemi Orange) that's staying that way. But you're getting me thinking. I've got two glue bomb Monogram TA Challengers to be rescued. One will be in the polished metallic red plastic, but the metallic charcoal might look good on the other one. I also recently got a smokin' deal on an unbuilt AMT '68 Road Runner kit that I was thinking to do as some kind of '70s Day Two street goon. It could look good on that! Hmmmmmmm.....

Thanks again for the suggestions! B)

Years ago I built an AMT '53 Ford truck w/ a lot of the custom parts  and painted a Model Master dark metallic gray, looked quite good IMO.  Also used that gray on a Monogram '83 Mustang convertible (w/ red interior), and a Fujimi Mercedes 190...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...