Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

9 hours ago, HomerS said:

From the Louisville show yesterday......

Pic 1.....builts but using for parts.  The van will get restored eventually as is it's complete has the early 70's front end (missing the horizontal taillights) and no sink lines from the gigantic clear top of later versions

Pic2....Geo Storm promo, Mercedes SL (Monogram kit), and a die cast Pagani (for my teenager)

Pic 3....the Yellow Challenger was the lone one I was missing.  Jo-Han Toronado (sealed).  P/L Silver pre-painted Ford GT.  Revell California Roller......missing tires/glass, may leave unpainted as one of the best 'molded in colors' I've ever seen  

thumbnail (75).jpg

thumbnail (76).jpg

thumbnail (77).jpg

Nice model score especially the California Roller..

2 International orders arriving same day, very happy about that.

Model Round Up order. Only really wanted the Nova Wagon, but somehow the rest fell in the cart as well.

44uRsjm.jpg

Plaza Japan order. As always stocking up wheels and again a few kits fell in the cart as well.

4jDkt5o.jpg

• Like 1

Luke I'm envious of your haul. You have a wheel set addiction like I do! I tried a large, multi kit order from HLJ and the only shipping choices were FedEx or DHL. Both I believe were in the $50 range. On top of that, those shipping services are required to collect Canada's HSTax, and of course duty/tariffs. Altogether a very big ouch on top of the kit prices. Now I ship 2 to 3 kits at a time using Small Packet ($27) and it sneaks through in regular post. That makes for a big cost savings!

18 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

2 International orders arriving same day, very happy about that.

Model Round Up order. Only really wanted the Nova Wagon, but somehow the rest fell in the cart as well.

44uRsjm.jpg

Plaza Japan order. As always stocking up wheels and again a few kits fell in the cart as well.

4jDkt5o.jpg

Great haul!

On 7/18/2021 at 11:51 PM, John1955 said:

That made me think back to many years ago when a small, local drug store here announced it was going out of business. At the back of the store was a shelf with about 30 or so 1/25 model kits on it, all AMT and Jo-Han original issues from the 1960's and very early 1970's. Why I had never seen them there before was because I'd never been in that store before that day that I spotted them. A few were opened and no longer sealed and all of them had a thin layer of dust on them. 

No wonder they'd never been sold, that shelf was practically invisible so far back. There was also Testor's paints, but the bottles looked like the paint inside was all dried up. A sign read "All items on this shelf 90% off marked price", which meant a $1.50 Jo-Han kit would be 15 cents! I was late for work and in a hurry so I grabbed the aspirin I'd stopped in to get and left, reminding myself to go back the next day and buy them all. 

But I had to work heavy overtime and didn't make it back there until three days later. The store was closed down and locked up, out of business. I hope no one heard me cursing to myself. 

That sucks. I've had similar instances which is why I made the offer to get it while the getting was good.

22 minutes ago, oldscool said:

I went ahead and got this since I enjoyed building the Monogram Shermans. The box shows 1/35 but I'm pretty sure it's really 1/32.

Or maybe something in between!  Link below to one of the many on-line arguments about the scale of that M48A2, on Armorama. 

For many years, builders cut the engine deck off the Monogram kit and mated it to the much better detailed Tamiya M48A3 kit.  That was the only way to get a gasoline-powered M48A2, instead of the later Diesel-engined M48A3. 

Just a few years ago, Revell-Germany finally released a brand-new kit of the U.S. M48A2, followed by the German version with spotlight etc.  Both of those are in "real" 1/35 scale.

When I worked in Egypt, we often drove past an Egyptian artillery base.  Its "gate guard" was the turret of a knocked-out Israeli M-48 sitting upside-down on a concrete plinth.  I really wanted to get a photo of that. But like most armies, the Egyptians are not happy with people aiming cameras around their military bases.

Armorama :: If Revell And Monogram Are The Same Company

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Or maybe something in between!  Link below to one of the many on-line arguments about the scale of that M48A2, on Armorama. 

For many years, builders cut the engine deck off the Monogram kit and mated it to the much better detailed Tamiya M48A3 kit.  That was the only way to get a gasoline-powered M48A2, instead of the later Diesel-engined M48A3. 

Just a few years ago, Revell-Germany finally released a brand-new kit of the U.S. M48A2, followed by the German version with spotlight etc.  Both of those are in "real" 1/35 scale.

When I worked in Egypt, we often drove past an Egyptian artillery base.  Its "gate guard" was the turret of a knocked-out Israeli M-48 sitting upside-down on a concrete plinth.  I really wanted to get a photo of that. But like most armies, the Egyptians are not happy with people aiming cameras around their military bases.

Armorama :: If Revell And Monogram Are The Same Company

Thanks or the info but I'm not worried about scale too much because I'm just building these old Monogram tanks for fun. I did notice that this one has made in China on it and the Shermans have made in USA. It also has a weird parts breakdown for the hull but I suppose it's the only way they could mold its odd shape.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, Cool Hand said:

4jDkt5o.jpg

Great to see the Laurel C31 kit is still available. I 'need' to get one or two of those someday. Great selection of wheels too.

I've been avoiding buying anything more, due to a forthcoming house move, but I couldn't resist when a firend on a 1:1 car forum put a nice selection up for sale. I ended up with these:

IMG_6845.JPG.1a0e272a6439a25efbeaee45afaebc76.JPG

The Heller kit is missing the figures, but I was only interested in the tools. The two small kits are odd, the Dyane 6 is just the box with the remnants of a Citroen CX inside. The Renault is complete, and very toy-like. The bodyshell is in two halves with a join front-to-back right through the middle! It also has opening doors. I've seen one built, the guy found it to be a bit of a challenge and it's best to accept it's just a toy.

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Got this kit in the mail today. t was originally listed as missing a tail light but then the seller found it taped to the convertible boot. 

image2.jpeg

hope your's looks better than mine when you build it......LOL !!

63lark9.jpg

My youngest son who's eleven asked me if I can get him a kit "like the ones I build" he said, so I showed him a few snap kits and he picked out a DeLorean from Back to The Future. He then asked if I could paint it for him, thinking it's just a few snap parts, I said sure. When I opened the box I was greeted with many parts trees! There is a lot of parts here for a snap kit! so, on top of the two kits I curranty have going I have to paint my sons kit which gives me three projects on the go at once! Lol

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

My youngest son who's eleven asked me if I can get him a kit "like the ones I build" he said, so I showed him a few snap kits and he picked out a DeLorean from Back to The Future. He then asked if I could paint it for him, thinking it's just a few snap parts, I said sure. When I opened the box I was greeted with many parts trees! There is a lot of parts here for a snap kit! so, on top of the two kits I curranty have going I have to paint my sons kit which gives me three projects on the go at once! Lol

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

Gareth, it make for great memories...

45 years ago or so my dad built a replica of a truck my grandfather drove for Christmas. My grandfather displayed it for years but after a remodel of his house it just disappeared. Well, my grandparents have been gone for 15 years or so and my mom and dad just left the house as it was in Pennsylvania. Well, my dad decided it was time to sell the house so I went back there (I live in Ohio) and see what I wanted as keepsakes. 

Low and behold I found the truck in the back of a closet in a box. Many pieces fell off but seem to all be present in a little tin in the box. I will be returning to hopefully locate the trailer which was hand painted by my dad.

Plans are to just clean it, attach the missing pieces, find or reproduce the trailer and display it with other items from my grandfathers life that I saved. 

IMG_20210727_042349[1].jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sledsel said:

45 years ago or so my dad built a replica of a truck my grandfather drove for Christmas. My grandfather displayed it for years but after a remodel of his house it just disappeared. Well, my grandparents have been gone for 15 years or so and my mom and dad just left the house as it was in Pennsylvania. Well, my dad decided it was time to sell the house so I went back there (I live in Ohio) and see what I wanted as keepsakes. 

Low and behold I found the truck in the back of a closet in a box. Many pieces fell off but seem to all be present in a little tin in the box. I will be returning to hopefully locate the trailer which was hand painted by my dad.

Plans are to just clean it, attach the missing pieces, find or reproduce the trailer and display it with other items from my grandfathers life that I saved. 

IMG_20210727_042349[1].jpg

great story, I'm building s replica of my grandfather's Mercury

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...