Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 12:56 PM, Tom Geiger said:

0B1B10A3-EAD7-4A48-B8E0-A292E81F6B6A.jpeg.5619e51802886c636202145d0f761ea4.jpeg

Tuesday I needed to get out of the house so I took a ride to Boyertown, PA to a hobby shop called Modelbahn Ot. Interesting old time shop with junk everywhere!  Slant was towards trains and RC but a good representation of models and supplies.

I bought the Nova wagon. And got the Tamiya tape and Semi-gloss clear I actually went there for.. want to finish my Father’s Beetle and squirted my last clear before I was done!

717FE04B-F058-40EE-914C-9D98C1C37169.jpeg.41afd56fff819b1aaa7a25d8ed26bcbc.jpeg

Had to chuckle… this stack of shopworn and faded boxes! Still marked at $20 each!

lol This shop is 10 minutes from me, those NASCAR kits have moved with them to 3 different buildings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

…and a sheet of Testor’s “Krome” BMF copy for the shiny bits:

Never saw that in a kit before!

A couple of the old JoHan kits had "chrome" foil included. The original '66 Marlin was one of them, I know. 

• Like 1

Just now, Snake45 said:

A couple of the old JoHan kits had "chrome" foil included. The original '66 Marlin was one of them, I know. 

Ha!  Just as I posted that I thought “I bet someone will know of other kits that have had foil included”.

Only took five minutes 😂👍🏻

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm calling BS on that.

If you didn't care and didn't want comments you wouldn't be making posts anywhere, let alone on here.

You might know exactly what's in the box but other people who see the post on here may not know. This is one way they learn of this stuff, by reading comments about kits. I don't think it's taking anything away from you that Casey commented that the kit had issues. That particular box isn't seen very often any more and it might be helpful to someone considering buying one to know about it.

If you don't want people responding to your posts maybe just put a line in your signature saying so, that way they'd know it's not welcome with you.

You don't have to respond to this post, in fact I'd prefer that you didn't. 

It's ok Steve.

It's just a hobby and it's just a model car kit and each individual will enjoy it in their own way.

19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ha!  Just as I posted that I thought “I bet someone will know of other kits that have had foil included”.

Only took five minutes 😂👍🏻

The early issues of the Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine Car had foil for the rocker panels. Those kits go back to approx 1964. And now we can start yet another new topic heading for another obscure kit item🤪 Personally, I like the one about “what kits are molded in green?” 😆

• Like 1

Image 1 - vintage model car kit amt 1969 Buick Wildcat Kit

This lovely was sitting on my porch today. Mostly complete, no instruction sheet and no stock wheels. Engine halves glued together. Original kit tires are gone but someone had the foresight to add a set of newer tires from a Round 2 parts pack of tires with the double white wall stripe...I will take it. Stock wheels are easy enough to find. Pic sourced from the internet. I built this as a teen in high screwl and I always wanted another. Got it for a fair price.

Edited by lordairgtar

47 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Image 1 - vintage model car kit amt 1969 Buick Wildcat Kit

This lovely was sitting on my porch today. Mostly complete, no instruction sheet and no stock wheels. Engine halves glued together. Original kit tires are gone but someone had the foresight to add a set of newer tires from a Round 2 parts pack of tires with the double white wall stripe...I will take it. Stock wheels are easy enough to find. Pic sourced from the internet. I built this as a teen in high screwl and I always wanted another. Got it for a fair price.

Very cool! I've had one of these in the stash since 1969. I swiped the engine out of it to put in a '66 Skylark back in the day, I think all the rest is still there. Not long ago I was able to lend the radiator wall to someone--was it ChrisBCritter?--to copy for a build, and he returned it no problem. Maybe I'll actually build the thing someday. 

1 hour ago, Kit Basher said:

How is the quality on those Star Models kits?

I have two bodies from them: 54 Ford moredoor was a piece of art, beautifully molded, only problem is no hood is included, so will need hood from donor kit. Also got the 55 Chevy moredoor wagon, probably enough resin on the inside to mold another body, really thick molding, but the outside is beautifully crafted. Both will require some cleanup, the Ford much less than the Chevy, but they do seem quite accurate, at least to my uncalibrated eyes.

BTW nice score on those two Chevy's.

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool! I've had one of these in the stash since 1969. I swiped the engine out of it to put in a '66 Skylark back in the day, I think all the rest is still there. Not long ago I was able to lend the radiator wall to someone--was it ChrisBCritter?--to copy for a build, and he returned it no problem. Maybe I'll actually build the thing someday. 

You should build it. It will go well with the 1970 Buick promo style kit that was reissued a few years back.

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Latest two kits from Alpha Models and the coffee cup and saucer you got sent if you're part of their "VIP" program. This shipment arrived in a few days via DHL from HK rather than the usual 40+ day trek from Wuhan via China Post.

received_1004646326957215.jpeg.7f1459ce98d006e3cf632e55a13caf81.jpeg

I'd be interested in knowing more about the RS6. I'm pretty keen to get it but its a lot of money for a curbside kit

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...