Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 9/26/2021 at 1:24 PM, NOBLNG said:

I went to Michaels today to buy an exacto knife handle and came home with this instead. I was surprised to see that they have a few new kits in, including the new tool Jag. I wish it was 1/25 scale! 😕 I thought they were getting out of models and model supplies.

9951077E-A8D5-4ED3-A097-381F14903D97.jpeg

Great artwork on that kit…..

5 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Great purchases. Two very nice airbrushes.

Thank you Bill. They are nice. The Infinity is a beautiful airbrush.

I've been collecting ABs for a number of years. I have pretty much at least one of every US made AB and some Iwatas and other import brands.

I'd like to sell off some models to fund a few more ABs:P.

1 hour ago, DPNM said:

Thank you Bill. They are nice. The Infinity is a beautiful airbrush.

I've been collecting ABs for a number of years. I have pretty much at least one of every US made AB and some Iwatas and other import brands.

I'd like to sell off some models to fund a few more ABs:P.

Those look real nice! Which one of your airbrushes do you admire most as a precise instrument, and which one do you find yourself using most often as the workhorse?

Got these two old timers off Evilbay, they're assembled unpainted. I suppose they're snap-bombs rather than glue-bombs because they're both 1/32 snappers, one AMT the other Monogram. They were only £8 each. It's interesting to see the two different treatments of the same truck. Overall I'd prefer the Monogram version. The cab is so much more accurately rendered, the AMT being a bit bland and toy-like. The stacks and the subframe are much more detailed and accurate on the Monogram, the AMT air intake just stops in mid air. We all frown on the deckplating all over the monogram kits but on the AMT the frame is all open and you can see into the gaping, hollow differentials. Also the front axle is set too far back on the AMT and the wheels and tyre combo is too small, something you can get away with on the trailer but on the unit it looks a bit odd. I must say, the fuel tanks on the AMT are more realistic than the generic Monogram tanks. 

I'm thinking of shortening the  Monogram chassis ever so much, just pulling the tanks up to the battery box. The AMT I'm thinking of de-Aerodyning it to a standard K100 flat top. Obviously I'll be painting them in due course. 

IMG_20210928_133233880~2.jpg

IMG_20210928_133217488~2.jpg

IMG_20210928_133141747~2.jpg

Edited by Rockford

3 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Those look real nice! Which one of your airbrushes do you admire most as a precise instrument, and which one do you find yourself using most often as the workhorse?

To be honest I haven't used one with any consistency for years. I got good with a spray bomb:D. I did use a Binks Wren B for models (lacquer) for 35+ years. A Paasche VL for t-shirts and stuff (water base) but I sold it a number of years ago.

I collect ABs because I like them. I have around 65. They take up a lot less space than models too;). As I mentioned, I want to sell off some of my models as I know I'll never get around to doing anything with them. Right now there are about 3 or 4 more ABs I'd like to add. They are getting pricier as I am starting to buy better brushes. I'm looking more at the better Japanese brushes and brands from Germany.

Sorry to digress, to answer your question, in my opinion I don't see one better for the price than the Infinity CR Plus. No, I haven't used mine yet but there is enough info out there to get a good idea of what it can do. I bought mine to use for lacquer. The Silverline should be good too. I bought it for water base and I hope to test it in the next day or so on a project I need to finish.

I have about 4 Paasche Hs and compared to the Wren I like the H better. The replaceable air-cap is a great feature. The H is good for what it can do. For primer, single color base coating and clearing it is a good choice. It does have it's limits being single action.

I've got 2 Paasche model AB turbos which are a completely different animal. They aren't good for model painting though.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Today's mailcall,Vette was priced superlow so i couldn't pass on it and finally grabbed the Plamoz transkit and decals since he offers free shipping on orders over a hundred bucks.🤠IMG_3040.thumb.JPG.4c811ceb0a48c044855c57287ca166bd.JPG

Beautiful! Tell us more about it! AMT '66 with '65 wheels, or '65 with the '66 optional hood? 

Either way, I'd just clean that one up, maybe lay some minor Snake-Fu on it, and let it stand as a proud survivor. Congratulations! B)

22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Beautiful! Tell us more about it! AMT '66 with '65 wheels, or '65 with the '66 optional hood? 

Either way, I'd just clean that one up, maybe lay some minor Snake-Fu on it, and let it stand as a proud survivor. Congratulations! B)

The rear license plate says 1966,so i guess the original owner swapped wheels from the 65?,i'm tempted to leave it,but part of me screams strip and rebuild!.

12 minutes ago, kelson said:

The rear license plate says 1966,so i guess the original owner swapped wheels from the 65?,i'm tempted to leave it,but part of me screams strip and rebuild!.

The Corvette script on the rear deck will tell the true story. If's it's straight up and down script, it's a '66. If it's slanted/Italic--Corvette--it's a '65. The straight V8 emblem on the front fender leads me to think '66. (Earlier ones had the FI emblem.) 

But the wheels are from a '65 Coupe kit. 

I'd definitely treat it like a respected survivor. B)

2 hours ago, TooOld said:

For a few years now I've been collecting parts for a '66 Monaco and now have everything except for a windshield , then I picked up this '66 Polara Convertible .  Definitely wasn't planning on it but it was to nice to pass up .

1966 Polara Convertible

I agree, Bob

Flea Market Day!  I found a couple of New Ray 1/32 scale Indian motorcycles, to possibly use in 1/35 dioramas.. A 1912 2-cylinder and 1939 4-cylinder.

Also an AMT Craftsman '64 Corvair missing 1 tail light.  That's OK, first-gen Corvairs are hard to find in any condition and this one was reasonably priced. I might even have that light in the stash.  

Every kid in America who got a bright yellow Craftsman Corvair must have added the mirrors, spotlights and dual antennae.  At least it looks like it from an Internet search.  Finding them without that stuff glued on is very unusual.

Img_0710.jpg

Img_0711.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...