Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

9 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

It definitely needs to go down in the rear. Reminds me of my old Camaro. :D

Thanks! B)

9 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I like your idea of a tire change that would be more appropriate for this car. I'm sure your parts box has something that fits.

I HOPE it does. Good tires and wheels are always in short supply in the Snakepit. B)

15 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I agree-slightly smaller rear tires and lowered just a bit, but first I would think about raising that front end about 1/4-1/2 inch.

It think if I get the rear down a little, the front will automatically "raise" to a noticeable degree. I might go for more of a NASCAR stance/vibe with this one rather than my usual drag/street racer look. 

I'm not planning to take the body off the chassis. Really no reason to, and I don't want to risk damaging it. B)

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And here it is. Still trying to decide what to do with it. Only thing it really NEEDS is the Torq-Thrust spokes painted. Not wild about the rear tires sticking out so far (they're that wide--can't be tucked it), so I'm thinking about finding something that will JUST tuck into the body. Might even try to lower the rear a little to just a "rubber rake." Ideas/opinions welcome. 

64Dodge04.jpg.a408272b44820f19d87e4df5873dbe63.jpg

64Dodge06.jpg.f4d4b928e1a7c8ae87f532d7bec08918.jpg

64Dodge09.jpg.a1a0263fbf19ec1d7f10bf80d60d8f47.jpg

Nice Snake.

Went to the two shows in Ohio yesterday. Picked up an Accurate Miniature McLaren M8B, an Esci Mercedes 190, a bag of  parts from the old AMT Indy car triple kit, and some  1/20th scale aluminum injector stacks for  use on my MPC McLaren M8D.

A buddy scored an unbuilt 80s issue JoHan '64 Dodge for $20.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:58 PM, Snake45 said:

And here it is. Still trying to decide what to do with it. Only thing it really NEEDS is the Torq-Thrust spokes painted. Not wild about the rear tires sticking out so far (they're that wide--can't be tucked it), so I'm thinking about finding something that will JUST tuck into the body. Might even try to lower the rear a little to just a "rubber rake." Ideas/opinions welcome. 

Wheels and tires on the Dodge are from the reissues of the MPC '69 Charger Daytona (500 had them also).  Everybody likes to bag on that kit, but it does have a lot of good parts in it.  I bought one of those at the last Ollie's kit dump, to get the wheels and other parts.  (Chassis, interior, and windshield will go into a straight resin '69 Coronet body that I snagged at the '19 NNL East for five bucks...the bumpers were in my parts box!)

Those rear wheels could be narrowed enough to fit within the quarter panels.  Figure out how deep the spokes are in the wheel, cut the wheel in half down the center (don't hit the spokes or center cap), then file each half to true up the cuts and make the wheel narrower.  Before reattaching the outer ring/half, you can paint the spokes.  I do that a lot, sometimes making two sets of wheels into one set with plated inner rings made from a second wheel.  In other instances I'll cut apart an out of fashion "billet" wheel because the outer ring is nice, then fit a center from a damaged mag wheel that I like.  I've even cut down damaged wheels and cast duplicates to use in this way.

14 minutes ago, Mark said:

Those rear wheels could be narrowed enough to fit within the quarter panels.  Figure out how deep the spokes are in the wheel, cut the wheel in half down the center (don't hit the spokes or center cap), then file each half to true up the cuts and make the wheel narrower.  

I've actually done that before, on a set of wheels from the AMT '68 Shelby, and then ended up not using them on the project I planned them for. I think on this one I'll use the deep TTs I took off a Cobra I rescued a few months back, and save these deep ones for use on a Pro Street '66 Nova. The fronts on the Dodge I'll leave alone except for painting the spokes. 

On 10/8/2021 at 10:58 PM, Snake45 said:

Not to hijack, but here is my ying to your yang....

IMG_E7826.JPG

5 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Went on a weekend trip with my wife and the family and hit a couple antique malls and a large flea market in New York and picked these up, all of these were great deals!

732FF797-4BDD-44FC-AA98-D4D2698DD1FF.jpeg

B46761E7-19F1-40AA-8554-14B3D79A1285.jpeg

D6324FB4-35D8-4BD4-8262-8280D8495673.jpeg

601CF3DC-2C66-44C0-80F0-0EB97EC3B3B9.jpeg

C7D396EB-509D-4DC4-813C-C447F25357A1.jpeg

Nice Topkicks. Seen two different utility trucks, one which you have and I have as well. Never seen the Schwann's truck though. Are the trucks 1/25th scale at all? I don't have any pick up truck models to compare it to.

Edited by lordairgtar

42 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Nice Topkicks. Seen two different utility trucks, one which you have and I have as well. Never seen the Schwann's truck though. Are the trucks 1/25th scale at all? I don't have any pick up truck models to compare it to.

They are 1/24 I think, not totally sure but they are nice, I grab them when I can especially at $10 each for these! He had a longer wheel base truck also and I didn’t get it so I went back and he already packed up for the day, man I was stupid!

1 minute ago, fordf-100 said:

They are 1/24 I think, not totally sure but they are nice, I grab them when I can especially at $10 each for these! He had a longer wheel base truck also and I didn’t get it so I went back and he already packed up for the day, man I was stupid!

I got the auger truck for five bucks and it was in a cello wrappper. The lady still has the other utility truck which I will go get this week I think.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...