Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

My LHS closed its doors recently. Their paint selection for cars had been somewhat limited for some time. I have noticed the price of spray cans are getting outright ridiculous. I have seen videos of people painting with Testors bottle enamel by just air brushing it in a 50-50 mix with lacquer thinner. Even at $3 a bottle that makes it way cheaper than $12.99 a can of Duplicolor. I went hunting on ebay for some metallics and got these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353507255089

New Testors metallics.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Same here. When I can be bothered to use my airbrush! I really should use it, more often. I mean, it's right there, ready to go--but, if I have a spray bomb that's close by...yeah!

Same here on all counts. 

Back when I was building model airplanes, it was no big deal for me to do 3 or 4 or 5 airbrushing sessions in a single day. Nowadays, it's a big stinky deal for me to fire up the airbrush for model car work. And the longer it's been since I've airbrushed, the more I dread it and the longer I put it off. I did do some airbrushing three days ago, though....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Same here on all counts. 

Back when I was building model airplanes, it was no big deal for me to do 3 or 4 or 5 airbrushing sessions in a single day. Nowadays, it's a big stinky deal for me to fire up the airbrush for model car work. And the longer it's been since I've airbrushed, the more I dread it and the longer I put it off. I did do some airbrushing three days ago, though....

My brush is a Badger 100G. It's the easiest thing, ever, to clean, and, still. I have a few aircraft kits, sitting around here. I reckon if I ever get around to them, I'll put in some time, with it.

Seein' as how I'm coming up on the end of working on other people's stuff, I'm getting the itch to have models of some of the more interesting things I've had go through the shop over the last 50 or so years.

I bought an old Gunze Maserati Merak to do a simple curbside build. I always preferred the Merak styling to the heavier looking Bora...though I'm after a Bora as well.

At first glance, the Gunze Merak body looks to be well-proportioned, though the tires will have to go.

8 results for Manufacturer GUNZE SANGYO

And I really liked a lot of the European showcars back in the '70s. I found a cheap Airfix Maserati Boomerang kit...but boy oh boy is it a mess.

The lines and proportions are about as wrong as you can get. The box-art looks nothing like the model. Guess they didn't have access to measure the real one, so they picked a random 8-year-old off the street to design the tooling from photos.

Good job I have extensive reference material on that one. Lots more work than I really want to get into, but it's such a cool car, I probably will.

Maserati Boomerang - 05407

Somebody on the web has already started a credible job of correcting this collection of fubar, so we already have an idea of which way to jump:

Maserati Boomerang (Airfix, 1/24) (Страница 2) — W I P ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

Not all today, but I got MPCs 1984 Corvette, AMT '97 Plymouth Prowler, AMT GMC Astro 95,  and a JoHan 1968 AMC Javelin in a AMT '68 AMX box. I think I remember reading that AMT reboxed JoHans AMC kits? I only bought it because it reminds me of my brother who died last month. He was a huge AMC nut. 😢

Picked this pile up at Sharon, PA show. Always a good time buying and selling there!

Another cheap Nova kit for the chassis, Batmobile is started, but was $10, the Rambler ambulance was a good buy as well. Of course, some more RMR resin!! Ramp trucks are because I want white bodies, not red ones(Coke version), not pictured, but a chassis from a 75 Nova for $2.

IMG_20220115_160954838.jpg

Edited by 64SS350

Went to a local model swap meet yesterday and picked up a few kits. I'd been looking for the Lincoln roadster for a while at a decent price, was thrilled to find one sealed for $10. Also grabbed a big bag of C1 Corvette bodies & parts for $5.

20220116_001008.jpg

Edited by RSchnell

34 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Getting the decals.  Now all I need are the engine mods and wheels, and I can do a Cosworth Vega

SAM_4396.JPG

SWEET find, can't wait to see what you do with it! If you have no use for the hood lump, I have the perfect project in mind for it. 

On 1/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

And I really liked a lot of the European showcars back in the '70s. I found a cheap Airfix Maserati Boomerang kit...but boy oh boy is it a mess.

I also picked up one of these for $10 about 2 years ago. It’s missing some parts and the decals are rough but I couldn’t pass it up for the price and how obscure it was. 

960EB260-13BA-411E-9DC0-C26308156560.thumb.jpeg.a82420fe8902720afd5cee15f8e9c64a.jpeg

74DB45CE-1541-43C9-8B0E-EB9E9664068F.thumb.jpeg.1071cc2fca64825c0731771b349b0b16.jpeg

I got these a few days ago.
The Büssing 8000 and Krupp titan are huge compared to my other trucks.
The enigne for the büssing is about the same size as the cab and enginecompartment of my Bedford towtruck in the same scale.
The gearbox is the same size as the bedford engine.
20211231_115718.thumb.jpg.dc1c67a3c0bd50a7dcb36c9cfbe0ef93.jpg
20220117_214504.thumb.jpg.e4caed5175ff34bebd867ea412c8960e.jpg
20211231_115619.thumb.jpg.d3d82cd43efcbfabd9a444d67ec26c8c.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...