Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Picked up some 1/16 scale Chevy Scottsdale (Swamp Monster version) and '57 Bel Air parts, a gallon bag filled with tires, an Ertl Farm Barge(!!) kit, the Maz Willys kit, and some nice Bridgestone Mud Dueler tires. I believe this is the first time I have ever witnessed neon/day-glo paint applied successfully, too.

231236737_PXL_20220221_0333512552.thumb.jpg.6439e54cbe546f71d6a08576411f1425.jpg

258404916_PXL_20220221_0333206352.thumb.jpg.9a4d582a8f3fd1850055562a9a475873.jpg

• Haha 1

Well I think I’m nuts but I have in my possession a 1/8 lambo Miura. I really need to cut this out. I do not know where I’m going to put it after it’s finished. Cool kit. Not very many made. My friend Mark found it in Italy. I thought after the cobra , I’m finished with 1/8 for awhile. Guess not. I need help. 

C8EEB5DC-8B6A-4CB8-B285-E1B48B613CFE.jpeg

7DC2DFA9-BCA5-4BE0-93CA-D80D2F60A9BF.jpeg

08F70287-EC7C-4E15-B9B0-9514FC5E6C26.jpeg

• Like 3

Made the usual stop at Hobby Lobby for the 40% off thing. Picked up the last 2 deserters (just to get the mirriors) and a Revell 1/24 bug. I figure, if I ever come across one of those resin baja bugs. I'll have the donor for it. I did notice something weird. They must have a new way of sealing some of their kits. Instead of shrink wrapping the entire box,  they use these 4 clear circular tape sort of things. The styrene is mostly for tube bumpers and I had an idea about scratch building a front axel.

20220223_155008.thumb.jpg.582abf427f529deb16fa89db95518aaa.jpg20220223_155035.thumb.jpg.7b27c8bf61acba276c5009a9d8414fa4.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

6 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Made the usual stop at Hobby Lobby for the 40% off thing. Picked up the last 2 deserters (just to get the mirriors) and a Revell 1/24 bug. I figure, if I ever come across one of those resin baja bugs. I'll have the donor for it. I did notice something weird. They must have a new way of sealing some of their kits. Instead of shrink wrapping the entire box,  they use these 4 clear circular tape sort of things. The styrene is mostly for tube bumpers and I had an idea about scratch building a front axel.

20220223_155008.thumb.jpg.582abf427f529deb16fa89db95518aaa.jpg            20220223_155035.thumb.jpg.7b27c8bf61acba276c5009a9d8414fa4.jpg

Regardless of the cost of shrink wrapping vs. sticker seals, Revell DE (Germany) has used that sealing method for many years.  After the latest round of mergers or acquisitions the line between Revell DE and Revell USA is blurrier than ever.  Things like size of the boxes, type of box sealing, etc. will be mixed and matched.  You can't just identify the origin of a kit by the sealing method or box size.

As far as that VW kit goes, yes, it comes in American size box, but look at the side panel. It clearly states: Manufactured by Revell Germany (with the kit parts made in Poland, decals made in Italy).  Bottom of the box also shows "Revel GmbH (Germany) Distributed in USA and Canada by Revell USA LLC".

What we have here is the result of having the kit produced by a typical "global company".  I am also amused that none of it is made in China.  That is rare nowadays.

So I totally contribute the round seals on the box to the fact that this kit originated at Revell DE.  In the end, does any of this matter?  Kit is a kit, regardless of its origin.  And that is quite a nice kit.

I too, hit the Lobby of Hobby this evening…they had a bunch of stuff reduced in the embossing powder section including some decent looking heat guns down to $5, so I grabbed one of those just in case I ever find a good use for it.  Picked up another ‘34 Ford pickup kit, just because I can’t leave them on the shelf apparently, and one of these because I didn’t have one already:

C57496A7-7D02-454C-AAA8-97FC7CE894C4.thumb.jpeg.ab7563c78f0239614aed4b79b14d918e.jpeg

Then I got home and the latest MCM was in my mailbox…and they put one of my projects from last year in there!

198F7C71-D284-40E0-923B-7129D570CBA9.thumb.jpeg.ff35f252eac3199b4c7f8f2b672ab99d.jpeg

Thanks MCM-ers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cabdriver,(Jim King)That car totally belongs in ModelCarsMag because it was a simple kit to build , but the Salt weathering is beyond, fantastic! You have arrived as a Magazine Model builder now! Stay humble and keep inspiring us to push the envelope to a higher standard! Lol 😀 Congratulations!

10 hours ago, peteski said:

Regardless of the cost of shrink wrapping vs. sticker seals, Revell DE (Germany) has used that sealing method for many years.  After the latest round of mergers or acquisitions the line between Revell DE and Revell USA is blurrier than ever.  Things like size of the boxes, type of box sealing, etc. will be mixed and matched.  You can't just identify the origin of a kit by the sealing method or box size.

As far as that VW kit goes, yes, it comes in American size box, but look at the side panel. It clearly states: Manufactured by Revell Germany (with the kit parts made in Poland, decals made in Italy).  Bottom of the box also shows "Revel GmbH (Germany) Distributed in USA and Canada by Revell USA LLC".

What we have here is the result of having the kit produced by a typical "global company".  I am also amused that none of it is made in China.  That is rare nowadays.

So I totally contribute the round seals on the box to the fact that this kit originated at Revell DE.  In the end, does any of this matter?  Kit is a kit, regardless of its origin.  And that is quite a nice kit.

I never knew that. I guess I never got anything from Revell Germany. Interesting.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Also note the stylized "CE" mark, which is for products traded in the EU...more here: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking_en

Basically, different standards than the U.S., so different packaging.

I have long wondered what the CE indicated. Thanks for the explanation!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...