Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

The last 3 weekends I’ve been going down to my family farm 90 miles from here and working on cleaning up my childhood home.  Today was the first time I brought home some of the models I built as a teenager in the 80s, which have been pretty well preserved the last 30+ years in a glass display case.  I still have at least 50 built kits there from childhood boxed up and 100s of Hot Wheels and Matchbox to retrieve in the coming weeks.  

I liked building Monogram and Johan kits as a teenager, and many of these were molded in color and I clear coated them.  Some were my first paint jobs like the ‘70 Chevy and ‘69 442.  

67640BB5-9BDB-49AF-8ACD-C74E4BCE7C1A.jpeg

46DCBCC3-9F27-4D75-88E9-5CB160666CE5.jpeg

• Like 3

Local toy show. Scored a fairly cleanly built, never painted original AMT '72 Camaro SS at a reasonable price. Less exciting now than it would have been two or three years ago, before Round 2 released the new non-RS Camaro kit, but still pretty cool. Trying to decide what color to paint it. Or, if it's actually clean enough, I might just polish up the white plastic. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Local toy show. Scored a fairly cleanly built, never painted original AMT '72 Camaro SS at a reasonable price. Less exciting now than it would have been two or three years ago, before Round 2 released the new non-RS Camaro kit, but still pretty cool. Trying to decide what color to paint it. Or, if it's actually clean enough, I might just polish up the white plastic. 

And here it is. Not bad, right? Missing rear bumper but I can steal that from a common '70 reissue. The Keystone wheels are cool and I'll probably keep them, but put larger tires on the rear. For color, I'm thinking either Testor One-Coat Bronze, or Krylon Shimmer Green, which is VERY close to '72 Chevy Spring Green but much flakier (think "bass boat"). 

72CamaroB02.jpg.28ebc632aab8c901d1fd19bbffe126f3.jpg

72CamaroB06.jpg.f950de89048e8dbf125f0cbeac7368f2.jpg

72CamaroB08.jpg.7d392f00524f606cdc4b00b9b663e39e.jpg

It came apart without drama except for two areas: The glass almost didn't come out without breaking it, but I eventually gotter done. And the rear spoiler was REALLY glued on there; I ended up pretty much wrecking it getting it off (I'd have left it on but it wasn't centered at all, which just wouldn't do), and there's some glue damage on the rear deck. There's also some very minor glue-warping in the roof from the glass glue, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little putty. Kinda in the mood to go ahead and Snake-slap this one together, we'll see what happens....

72CamaroB10.jpg.3f907a98524c594bf41dceebd51de6fa.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up these two IMC kits on Saturday for $25 total at the Flight 19 IPMS model contest and swap meet.  The GT40 is molded is the most translucent white I have ever seen.  Every other kit I have seen has the normal color white plastic.  The chome looks great for being 55 years old. The Driver figure ($10) is by Tony Cruz.

8C98CE52-76F5-46B9-A052-9B75A8EB49CB.jpeg

• Like 1

Methinks that Camaro is a '73 annual.  The front fender emblems might read "SS 350"; if they do, it's a '73.  There was no SS in '73, but MPC did the promos '71-'73 so AMT wouldn't have known that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Methinks that Camaro is a '73 annual.  The front fender emblems might read "SS 350"; if they do, it's a '73.  There was no SS in '73, but MPC did the promos '71-'73 so AMT wouldn't have known that.

You might be right. The front fender emblems seem to be 350s. Still pretty cool. I've now filled the glue-damage pits and "dents" with superglue and am waiting for it to cure. 

Scored this one last week.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

69amtmst.jpg.b9c553e75f44e09862e7abf2a226b6d3.jpg

It was billed as an 'mpc 3n1 builtup', so at first I didn't pay it much attention. Then I decided on a closer look and suddenly the 'tells' started leaping out; window divider mainly, but there's three or four others, and I couldn't resist. Very reasonable price too, for an original amt '69 Mach 1 under all that green paint. 

• Like 4

Got this book today.  A quick read but it is loaded with pictures from the four races it ran in, a short history of the GT40, and #1016  ownership history since it’s competition days were over.  The book was less than $50 and I recommend it to any fan of GT40s.  I have seen this car several times along with the 66 Lemans 1st and 2nd place cars over the years.  That is my Fujumi build from about 20 years ago sitting on the book.

EB0B03AF-2A00-44AF-8575-CE1C4F9E61AB.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 3

Reading thread titles is hard…

Meanwhile, this came today - hobby chisel with interchangeable tips to allow you to scribe different width lines.

CCB772FE-5DE3-4918-AE3A-1818136F8D88.thumb.jpeg.5695163caddc7b8c6b9b6e990cc4b311.jpeg

I was struggling to clean up the window frames on something I’m working on after chopping a top - sanding was tricky because it’s a pretty thin little pillar and I can’t get a file into the spot because there’s a drip rail in the way that I didn’t want to lose.  This worked great though!  Good for levelling out wobbly door lines too…

• Like 1

Recent arrivals:

IMG_8741.JPG.a0dd5b72c14a1db166c92afd86bdcc5b.JPG

I'd been hoping to find one of those Hilux kits for a while, I got this one cheaper than a reissue and it's pleasing to see the old Matchbox logo (such a big part of my youth). Nicely moulded in beige and orange it looks like it will be a simple thing to chuck together, just what I need to get me motivated to build more regularly again. And it has a boat with it!

The Platz is an oddity, a saloon version of the little Yaris/Vitzhatchback. Should look good lowered and on some more purposeful wheels. My daughter has a 1:1 Yaris, it's a fun little thing to nip about in.

Wire wheels and lowrider parts are believed to be from an AMT Impala, will come in useful for something, someday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

The Platz is an oddity

Haha. Very nice! The Platz, as nerdy and pointless a model as it is, is very hard to find - one of those rare kits that really most people don’t care about. It was a Toyota Echo in the US market. 

• Thanks 1

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...