Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope. The car in Vanilla Sky was a 250 GTO replica based on a Datsun Z-car.

I was aware that one was a replica. I just figured that other black one was also since the studios like to get as much use from their cars as possible. How many times have you seen that orbit orange '70 GTO from 2 Lane Blacktop in other moves and TV shows?

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That’s good news!  Thanks for letting me know - I should stop by mine and see what they’ve got!

I went back to Walmart last night and did notice they had a few other Coke issues that were offered last fall. Still a different and wider selection than before. Happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

A couple of Mazda-related items for me:

IMG_8807.JPG.a683f891e3527e229d8c842b2d435ffb.JPG

A bit of an oddity, but something that I think would be pretty useful at 1:1:

IMG_8809.JPG.55ba22a18f25a54bf0d60a3f7b7cb5b5.JPG

It came with no wheels and tyres as the seller had used them on another project, but that's fine. It might end up sitting low on a set of 8-spoke Watanabes or similar, whatever looks good from the spares box.

IMG_8779.JPG.69c311c75a345ba61108e781b39571f6.JPG

IMG_8780.JPG.0c52124aec089f4521ebb74625447f12.JPG

I think I'll have my work cut out with this one....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I was aware that one was a replica. I just figured that other black one was also since the studios like to get as much use from their cars as possible. How many times have you seen that orbit orange '70 GTO from 2 Lane Blacktop in other moves and TV shows?

The 275 GTB in Love Hate Love was real. It shows dents like a metal body (replicas are almost always fiberglass), and in several shots where the car shows damage, you can see very obvious scarred bare metal under the paint.

The windshield is also convincing evidence it's real. A giveaway on replicas is usually the windshield...stock Z-car on the Vanilla Sky car. 

In '71, when the film was made, the values hadn't skyrocketed on Ferrari 275s yet. It was just an old sports car. Still pretty expensive, but well within a movie budget to trash one without entirely destroying it.

I’ve been wanting one of these since the were announced - I actually ordered one on eBay soon as they were available but it never showed up and I had to claim from eBay.  But second time around, from a different seller, I got a hold of one:

A2FF3874-7064-426D-A917-2EB15F7E8028.thumb.jpeg.f5b123868c644cbe372dd80169b4d921.jpeg

I’ve never messed with opening doors too much, so this is a good chance to learn about aligning them nicely…I’m sure it won’t be a walk in the park…

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve been wanting one of these since the were announced - I actually ordered one on eBay soon as they were available but it never showed up and I had to claim from eBay.  But second time around, from a different seller, I got a hold of one:

A2FF3874-7064-426D-A917-2EB15F7E8028.thumb.jpeg.f5b123868c644cbe372dd80169b4d921.jpeg

I’ve never messed with opening doors too much, so this is a good chance to learn about aligning them nicely…I’m sure it won’t be a walk in the park…

I will enjoy watching you build your version of the Henry J, Jim!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slusher said:

I will enjoy watching you build your version of the Henry J, Jim!

Thanks buddy!

38 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

Don't know why they can't get the classification right on these older kits with new decals , the car is super charged , it should be BB/GS .

Interesting!  Didn’t know that - good tip!

Waiting for UPS right now which is delivering a Tamiya Porsche 1988 911 Turbo and a few odds and ends. I don't know why, but lately I've had the urge to build European sports cars instead of my usual muscle cars and hot rods. 

8 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Don't know why they can't get the classification right on these older kits with new decals , the car is super charged , it should be BB/GS .

The double letters at the beginning indicate a supercharger. AA, BB, etc. There were oddly-named classifications, based on individual tracks, as well. Typically,  BB/G and B/GS would indicate the same thing.

• Like 2

All the way from the Land of the Rising Sun, a 1/24 Dome Zero. Powered by an inline 6-cylinder Z-car engine and shown in 1978, it was an interesting but ill-fated Japanese bid for entry into the high-end sports car market. 

I immediately liked the sci-fi styling way back then.

I already had the LeMans racing version, so now it has a friend.

Fujimi 1:24 Dome-Zero Racing Le-Mans 1979 Car Plastic ...

Image 1 - Reserved Fujimi DOME ZELO 1/24 model kit  #24689

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

All the way from the Land of the Rising Sun, a 1/24 Dome Zero. Powered by an inline 6-cylinder Z-car engine and shown in 1978, it was an interesting but ill-fated Japanese bid for entry into the high-end sports car market. 

Dome-o arigato Mr. Roboto. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Monthly swap meet

1st pic.....parts kits.  Bodies used for slot cars

2nd pic.....open complete.  Paid too much for the started California Roller but hard to resist that molded color.  Ram Van missing wheels but doesnt have the odd ball grill of the 911 van.

3rd pic....open complete. Not sure which direction to go on this one

Springboro 03 22 Parts kits.jpg

Springboro 03 22.jpg

Springboro 03 22 Tim.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:00 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bill that is a very cool looking model!  Does it have a zero engine?

20 hours ago, slusher said:

Bill that is a very cool looking model!  Does it have a zero engine?

No sir...it's a curbside, originally made to be motorized, but it just might get some guts at some point. 

The racing version has a Cosworth V8 engine, with different everything else too, but it's already moved west with the first truckload of my stuff anyway..  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Hobby Lobby 40% off week, picked up this 40 Willys Truck gasser..........

0404221505.jpg

I recieved this kit as a present from my wife a while back.  The darn flip hood needs a lot of work to fit tight to the body without gaps.  I failed in my attempt so like another forum member did I decided to cut off the hood from the fenders. I then grafted the fenders to the body and that went well. But now the hood after cutting it off doesn't sit on the fenders without falling off.  

Frustration has set in so now I'm trying to decide if I want to do it as a curb side, or drag car without the hood on.  

Good luck with the build James.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...