Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

This has come, over the last week, or so. Had to buy a new flex shaft, after I over-revved the old one! Let me just say that I'm happy that didn't go as badly as if might have! Also got extra blades for my Cricut. I've been wanting a 356, for a while. Got this one, shipped, very reasonably! Finally, the Fireball Dragster--what can I say? It's old Monogram! I have a thing...

DSC_0003cr.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I kinda have a thing for the '50s cars that I remember being around when I was a kid. I've picked up several early AMT kits and rebuilders, and filled in some of the holes with diecasts, but there are still just a lot of cars that were never offered, or are way more expensive than what I'll pay.

I usually stay away from early promos, as the deterioration and shrinking of the acetate plastic they're made from is universally pretty bad by now. So I was surprised to come across this genuine AMT '57 Buick Roadmaster 2-door promo in pretty decent condition. The little car is shrunk and warped less than anything I've seen in years, has zero rust on the stamped metal chassis, looks to never been been played with, and the friction motor works just like new. It's a real time-capsule find

Yes, it's acetate, and it's going to keep on shrinking and warping, but if I pull molds from it SOON, at least I've got something to start with, and the bumpers, porthole inserts, and quarter cladding are made from a non-shrinking plastic.

Image 31 - 1957 Buick Roadmaster Two door Hardtop Promo Friction Model Car by AMT

Image 41 - 1957 Buick Roadmaster Two door Hardtop Promo Friction Model Car by AMT

That is a real nice find Bill.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:15 PM, Cool Hand said:

Another addition to the airbrush arsenal.

e9xhdJZ.jpg

rcsCsqu.jpg

VUALbcF.jpg

H&S does make some fine brushes. Nice pickup on this one. I had seen an Ultra that came with some Vallejo paints but didn't buy it. 

I, like Bill Eh?, have one of their Evolution Silverline brushes. I used it on a project, not model related, and it was a joy to use. How many brushes do you have in your arsenal? Or send me a PM. I like talking ABs.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:28 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nothing too exciting today...just an oddball version of the AMT BlackForce kit, cheap 'cause it's an oddball, primarily for the wheels and tires...

1999 AMT ERTL Snapfast Slammers Black Force Item # 30090 ...          2000 Ertl Amt Snapfast Looney Tunes Marvin Martian Hot Rod ...

...but I needed another shell to put together the Carson-top version shown below. I like 'em both.

DSCN2816_zpso2pqiwr2.webp.e08994ecf9a3c136608e9810f4efe9c9.webp

DSCN2848_zpsshp6dipz.webp.7560605080800722d505d818b51c4250.webp

And it has Marvin on it to boot lol, I have never laid eyes on that body before. Sweet find Bill

• Like 1

I wish they’d reissue that Black Force kit (although I actually never tried looking very hard for one…they’re probably not super expensive.

Look forward to seeing what you do with them Bill!

I got a care package from a buddy - old-school-cool model parts!

EBA6003A-A0B8-4C71-B9F0-9E2F5494170B.thumb.jpeg.c2d19aeb20c3704c029b7a8ce6644310.jpeg

Anyone recognize these?

At So Cal Open I purchased an MPC 78 Camaro kit, AMT 69 Cougar XR 7 "Countdown" series and a Revell Germany Mercedes E-class wagon kit, all from David Cruz.

Also some supplies and a bottle of House of Kolor Violet paint (Raffle prize)

Today's post brought me an old Monogram 1/24 Ford GTP car from 1985 in the 7-Eleven livery; rough box, fine inside. I had a decent kit in Ford Mororsports colors, and a couple of not too bad built-ups to restore, but seeing a thread elsewhere on here made me want to get a clean unbuilt one like this.

Part of my collection focuses on race cars that I think are particularly significant technically, and this one fits in there. Ford Aerospace was heavily involved in the design, development, and construction of the Nomex-honeycomb/carbon/Kevlar composite chassis and bodywork, and this was one of the first race-cars to significantly employ computer-driven Finite Element Analysis in its engineering. FEA is also the forerunner of today's Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, widely used for airflow management, combustion chamber design, etc., and is much of the basis of the CAD programs that are trickling down to us in the form of 3D printing on a desktop.

Composite structures can take a huge amount of numerical crunch to get right, as the materials aren't homogenous and relatively easy to design with like steel and aluminum. Ford proved at the time that a US manufacturer was easily the equal of the Europeans who built the rest of the world's composite tubs, and the engineers had fun with it, one of them remarking that they enjoyed seeing it race, as most of what they did flew away and was gone, one way or another.

The cars were very fast when they ran, but suffered from reliably problems...NOT ever any issues with the composite bits though.

Monogram Model Kit 2709 IMSA Mustang 7-11 GTP for sale ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

I HLJ'd again. This batch of 12C kits brings my inventory of kits in balance with my inventory of aftermarket decal sheets. Normally I don't go quite that retentive about that sorta thing, but when this version of the 12C (pre-2013 facelift) went out of production last time it was gone for over half a decade and secondary prices for them went bonkers. Now I have as many as I'll ever need and never have to worry about what they cost again. Also love these sets of pre-painted license plates Platz has released. This is the 3rd set, hopefully they'll do more in the future. The pre-finished ones are for 2000cc engine size tax stamps, but they include enough decals to make pretty much any class/tax value vehicle on the road with a little time and effort put into studying the license plate system.

20220429_195503.thumb.jpg.8fd60a90a2310266632a842e6e52edd8.jpg20220429_195516.thumb.jpg.b519e29990c6b30a9f57c74af6ebdfad.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 2

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...