Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

20 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Had a birthday today (reluctantly) and got a few cool modeling-related bits…

Cheated, and got this for myself…

921CBD90-BDAB-4D64-A80B-5FC8063D74D7.thumb.jpeg.502f122dfcc3eea841871f38e9165411.jpeg

This one was a gift - I’m excited to dig into it…there’s a TONNE of parts in the box for this one!

C4B95643-7C69-4BBF-BF4F-DBE421A3E845.thumb.jpeg.f0e61938c652c4b6224b8a4cc82b75c0.jpeg

My wife cleared out Hobby Lobby of all their Letraset dry-transfer lettering (she knows how I love this stuff…)

6F367713-DD23-4404-B431-E7A15356564D.thumb.jpeg.27624a2aa406a78f86c89e0c08e36b3c.jpeg

Plus this (not car related, but will still make for a fun little project…)

71EA0522-86EE-42BD-82EC-831C25FF409B.thumb.jpeg.e9536d4e31406fbfc80a1d92fd01978b.jpeg

And I found these in the jewelry section - they’ll be perfect for little suspension linkages or something similar!

F52B6338-62B6-4C39-BAA0-5734B5CE6C44.thumb.jpeg.467843dfbaa038c57e2644a1bdec323c.jpeg

Got a bunch of not-model-related car stuff too - stickers, Rat Fink merch, some parts for my 1:1 Mustang, a Mustang shirt (because everyone knows you can’t own a Mustang or Vette without wearing a matching shirt)…I’m a lucky guy!

Awesome sauce.  My BD in 4 days.  Let me know how that yellow fever n metal earth goes.  Been eye balling the yellow fever.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, CabDriver said:

Had a birthday today (reluctantly) and got a few cool modeling-related bits…

Cheated, and got this for myself…

921CBD90-BDAB-4D64-A80B-5FC8063D74D7.thumb.jpeg.502f122dfcc3eea841871f38e9165411.jpeg

This one was a gift - I’m excited to dig into it…there’s a TONNE of parts in the box for this one!

C4B95643-7C69-4BBF-BF4F-DBE421A3E845.thumb.jpeg.f0e61938c652c4b6224b8a4cc82b75c0.jpeg

My wife cleared out Hobby Lobby of all their Letraset dry-transfer lettering (she knows how I love this stuff…)

6F367713-DD23-4404-B431-E7A15356564D.thumb.jpeg.27624a2aa406a78f86c89e0c08e36b3c.jpeg

Plus this (not car related, but will still make for a fun little project…)

71EA0522-86EE-42BD-82EC-831C25FF409B.thumb.jpeg.e9536d4e31406fbfc80a1d92fd01978b.jpeg

And I found these in the jewelry section - they’ll be perfect for little suspension linkages or something similar!

F52B6338-62B6-4C39-BAA0-5734B5CE6C44.thumb.jpeg.467843dfbaa038c57e2644a1bdec323c.jpeg

Got a bunch of not-model-related car stuff too - stickers, Rat Fink merch, some parts for my 1:1 Mustang, a Mustang shirt (because everyone knows you can’t own a Mustang or Vette without wearing a matching shirt)…I’m a lucky guy!

Happy belated birthday Jim!

• Like 1

Wifey had a bunch of gift cards for Michael's she got from friends and co-workers when she retired at the end of April. Today I helped her spend them 🥴. The variety there wasn't great but I was able to find this one. I had been wanting it for a while so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!IMG_2656.jpg.f028a82c138fc82f03f10ec89c832b88.jpgIMG_2658.jpg.eee369c16e3f83dcacc491e7a2dc4d29.jpgthe price was a standard $29.95  but after discount it was $21.59. Not too bad. The kit tooling looks good with no flash and nice chrome. There's some nice features like glass for the quarter windows, engine upgrades like a chrome alternator and finned rocker covers and a big chrome quad. You get a set of contemporary rims and low profile rubber. There's an optional lower a-frame set with disc brakes that will lower the front. It seems like a pretty nice kit of a great subject. I'm considering building it stock although the gasser prospect is hard to resist. It's a perfect body style for a gasser.😀

IMG_2657.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, customline said:

Wifey had a bunch of gift cards for Michael's she got from friends and co-workers when she retired at the end of April. Today I helped her spend them 🥴. The variety there wasn't great but I was able to find this one. I had been wanting it for a while so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!IMG_2656.jpg.f028a82c138fc82f03f10ec89c832b88.jpgIMG_2658.jpg.eee369c16e3f83dcacc491e7a2dc4d29.jpgthe price was a standard $29.95  but after discount it was $21.59. Not too bad. The kit tooling looks good with no flash and nice chrome. There's some nice features like glass for the quarter windows, engine upgrades like a chrome alternator and finned rocker covers and a big chrome quad. You get a set of contemporary rims and low profile rubber. There's an optional lower a-frame set with disc brakes that will lower the front. It seems like a pretty nice kit of a great subject. I'm considering building it stock although the gasser prospect is hard to resist. It's a perfect body style for a gasser.😀

IMG_2657.jpg

I almost bought another one of these today when i was out shopping think hobby town wanted $24, but it is a beautiful kit.  Michaels around me has one small 4 foot section for model kits and it sucks.  So i never shop at Michaels. 

22 hours ago, customline said:

IMG_2657.jpg

Very nice!!! I want to get 2 of them myself I missed out when Hobby Lobby had them last year. I regretted grabbing them when I had the chance to get 40% off on each.

The AMT Rabbit hopped in today; sealed and mint inside with no tire damage on the glass, luckily. Molded in yellow like the box art; might like to paint it Rallye Green like the one my Valley dude co-worker had in '83 - an early '75 with drum brakes all around and the vanity plate DR DILL. Will have to do the clear/red resin bit for the head and taillights.

Anyone have a built-up they can share? Any little assembly quirks I should know about? Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Very nice!!! I want to get 2 of them myself I missed out when Hobby Lobby had them last year. I regretted grabbing them when I had the chance to get 40% off on each.

Since you are wanting this kit and since I've had the chance to further investigate it I would like to give a heads-up on a few things that bother me about it. Don't get me wrong, though, it's still a nice kit of a great subject. The '56 is one of my favorite Chebbies. I owned one back in the day but Dad made me get rid of it ( it had no floors. What do you want for $90.00?) 🥴

The stock tire/wheel/white wall insert combo are not up to the quality level of other kits that have these. The fit is not quite right and may need some fiddling.

The instructions seem to lack clarity in some areas but this is a level 5 in difficulty and this may be one of the reasons for that.

I noticed the back light "glass" is a very precise fit. No room for goofing up at all. Try it to figure out your strategy for installing it before you open the glue tube. This probably goes for the other glass parts as well.

Pay attention to the firewall to floor fit and also the firewall to body interface. The instructions show attaching the firewall to the floor. I'd question that. 

Not an issue, but a nice plus:  The scripts are very low relief but the decal sheet includes them. The larger emblems and door handles are provided on the chrome tree and locators are molded on the body and hood (which, by the way, is a very close fit- remember that at paint-prep time.)

When mating the floor to the frame I noticed a gap(s) at the driveshaft tunnel mating area that I will definitely fill. 

There may be more of these issues, bad and good, but it is level 5 and I don't mind working a bit harder 😉. There is plenty of kit here for the money. 

Something to ponder: why lower the suspension and add disc brakes on all four but keep the ol' 265 and 'glide? 🤔. Okay, budget constraints. Custom paint first, engine swap later....

14 hours ago, Dpate said:

I almost bought another one of these today when i was out shopping think hobby town wanted $24, but it is a beautiful kit.  Michaels around me has one small 4 foot section for model kits and it sucks.  So i never shop at Michaels. 

Yeah, how about the Testor's paint bottle rack? 🥺

On 5/22/2022 at 2:19 AM, Robberbaron said:

One of our local non-profit organizations runs a thrift shop.  My daughter and I volunteered for a few hours on Saturday morning.  I worked in the delivery area where everyone drops off their items to donate.

One of the boxes included a Lindberg 90s era Little Red Wagon kit.  The delivery supervisor said they wouldn't bother trying to sell it since it was opened and partially built.  They were going to toss it in the dumpster, so you know what happened.  😁

😁

Seems like everything's there.  Little bit of a glue bomb, but the price was right!

IMG_20220522_003652.jpg

IMG_20220522_003719.jpg

IMG_20220522_003731.jpg

I've seen total glue bombs on the shelf at my local Good Will marked $10-15.

45 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The Goodwill stores around here won't accept nor sell any types of toys.

Probably don't wanna be sued when some kid bites the head off a bobblehead and chokes...or for reinforcing gender stereotypes with an old GI Joe or Barbie. Etc.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 3

Actually. it has to do with hygiene. They don't want any possible nasty stuff left dirty toys by previous kids to spread. That's what the manager of the store in Brooklyn told me when I wanted to donate my son's baby toys. They have no problem reselling used shoes and funky, armpit smelling clothes, though.

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The AMT Rabbit hopped in today; sealed and mint inside with no tire damage on the glass, luckily. Molded in yellow like the box art; might like to paint it Rallye Green like the one my Valley dude co-worker had in '83 - an early '75 with drum brakes all around and the vanity plate DR DILL. Will have to do the clear/red resin bit for the head and taillights.

Anyone have a built-up they can share? Any little assembly quirks I should know about? Thanks!

I've done a couple Chris, but not stock. 

Biggest problem with this kit is a lack of positive locating pins or anything else in assembling the engine into the car. Very vague placement and it partly relies on the metal axle for locating the engine properly. If you have one of the reissued Mk1 Sciroccos you know what I'm talking about as the kits share the chassis and engine.

IMG 0816

IMG 0818

IMG 0821

IMG 1357

IMG 1361

IMG 1365

• Like 3

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...