Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

10 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

I bought a new revell volvo F12 kit, this one does not have any shortshots. Only problem with this kit is that the tires have started to rot. Decals are bad in both kits.

My plans for both of these kits are to build one box stock and modify the other to an Australian version with a flat roof instead of the globetrotter roof. It is going to look something like revells australian volvo F12.

Have also ordered a few parts for that build from auslowe.

The top pic is the new kit with bad tires,the bortom has good tires but a bad frame.

20220727_130538.thumb.jpg.0219bdfa4c96b2ce68855a24c8adc719.jpg20220727_130614.thumb.jpg.28d9b54ee11d598dde6cd2fed80645ad.jpg 

Also got a gmc astro to go with my chevy titan. I think i am going to buy one more astro kit and put in the turbine engine in that.

20220727_130552.thumb.jpg.0478b90020e10bfdff81bbb278c40b7b.jpg

Nice! I almost got the astro 95 high life version last night, but i had to get the AMT american superliner instead as i got it for $60 instead of the floating price now going around $80 and up. I already got the ford LTL 9000 and it was expensive.  LOVE big rig kits.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, cobraman said:

Got my paint order from Burbank House of Hobbies . Always quick service . 

D9EA8B0F-11E9-47D2-B9D4-A9E781E357C1.jpeg

I have been buying from them also Ray, they do ship fast!

On 7/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, stavanzer said:

Made a trip to H.L. today. First time I've had the desire to look.

Had one follow me home, a late birthday gift from a friend.

71hQTB9Gp3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

HPI Guy's review sold me on it. 

Thanks, Chris! I base a buy/no buy decision on your video's. Work again.

Happy birthday Alan!

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, stavanzer said:

Neat Kits, Pierre!

I hope you can replace the rotting tires with resin replacements.

I already have 30 tires left over from other 1/25 truck kits that i can use.

They are from revells w900 and K100 kits and fit perfectly on the wheels in the volvo kit.

Also got this kit just because i have never built a mercedes truck.

Lets see if i can keep it stock or i end up modifying this to.

Screenshot_20220728-230315_eBay.jpg.a45b6bc994cb6f8422ffcc16f49c864e.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's an extremely Hard car to get Junkyard Jeff., Looks like Testor's brushed on enamel, which will strip off easy! RMR (Resin Model Ranch) should have a rear bumper for it. I think that model had red tail lenses that go in the rear bumper with  stock chrome rectangular open covers on them. Nice find! I build this model as a 7 year old . It is  a Amt 1967 Galaxie 500 convertible! It said "Hemi Henry" on the side of the car for the box art! I fell in love with it!

5 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I just got this 67 Galaxie convertible today,looks like I will have to find a rear bumper and boot.

20220729_090151.jpg

I was given one of the above for free just a little over 25 years ago. Mint, unbuilt, in the box. I promptly ruined its worth by building it. Not that I did a bad job building it. In fact it turned out great. It was just worth less because I built it. But, that was why it was given to me for free. The guy knew I liked the car and would build. Rather turning around and selling it for a profit. The 1967 Ford XL convertible is still one of my all time favorite full-size Fords. And I’m glad I’ve got one in my collection. 

Purchased this today.  2 tire burns but not too bad. Both from the pie crust slicks. One in the interior and one tail light was attached to a slick. I didn't see the front springs.

Sorry.  wanted to rearrange the photos and ended up putting them in another post so what I got is pictured below.

MPC 65 Corvette Sting Ray.

Edited by ewetwo

59 minutes ago, Deathgoblin said:

Another bad sheet of BMF.  :(  I can't seem to get anything that works.  There are places on the new sheet where it's visibly not even stuck to the backing paper.  I ended up sending a complaint to the company.  I won't hold my breath for a reply.

Was it from BMF directly?

18 hours ago, ewetwo said:

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Fairly minor damage. And very cool.

This by the way, this was my first “regular” model car kit that my Dad and I build together back in 1965. With my Mom’s help, I had built Aurora’s Frankenstein’s Flivver and Dracula’s Dragster before that (plus a German Me 262). Used a little Testor’s bush on paint with the two Aurora kits. But, nothing with the MPC Corvette (or the Me 262). Still, it was cool at the time to this then seven year old kid. And, other than the lack of paint, my Dad and I did a pretty good job. And looked cool sitting on the shelf next to my molded in red Cox gas power Corvette. (My Dad assembled the Cox Corvette without me. And I’m not sure why? Since it was purchased about that same time. Also, we never got around to taking it out, and running it. It was something we were always “going to do.” The Cox Corvette just sat on the shelf, next to my other model kits until I joined the Navy. Where it, and my other models from there? I can only guess.) 

Edited by unclescott58

I ordered the custom machined piece I need for my Grafo T2 from a friend of a friend. He needs to make it yet so it could be a week or longer before I see it. I'm quite pleased that I could have one made. It was a bit pricey but, then again, it's custom made. I'm also glad I've been learning what fits what on different brands of airbrushes.

1453439996_grafot2plug.jpg.9d35feda318ef8866b1f37b038c7f90f.jpg

I had ordered some spares from the UK for the DeVilbiss Super63 model A I had just gotten. It needed a new diaphragm and stem for the air valve (I got two) as the one in it had dry rotted.  I also bought a new fine line nozzle and a pair of fine line needles. The needles and nozzle are 0.12mm. To my knowledge they are the smallest available in any AB brand. I ordered them very early AM on July 26th. They were in my mailbox today July 30th. 4 (four) days shipping from England! Incredible.

1513512965_super63parts.jpg.f7d96bd065340bf5a248ecd68f495f2a.jpg

Edited by DPNM

They’re trying to lure me over to the “dark side.” Once a month, a couple friends and I go do to Scale Model Supply in St. Paul, MN. After words we go to lunch. One of the starts telling us about this cool store he found over in Minneapolis, called Brickmania. They mainly sell Lego building kits. Sophisticated and very expensive Lego building kits. They also have quite a display of built up kits. The stuff is cool. But, between the expense, and the still brick shapes of the completed models, its not for me. But, look around, they also carry a brand called COBI. I first spotted their car kits. They looked pretty good with more rounded shapes and a much lower price. So I had to buy the Citroen you see below. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

FA8CC783-D238-4D20-B753-A5C6647D010A.jpeg

8818167A-7E6B-4819-8E6E-E36AA9E054C0.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

They’re trying to lure me over to the “dark side.” Once a month, a couple friends and I go do to Scale Model Supply in St. Paul, MN. After words we go to lunch. One of the starts telling us about this cool store he found over in Minneapolis, called Brickmania. They mainly sell Lego building kits. Sophisticated and very expensive Lego building kits. They also have quite a display of built up kits. The stuff is cool. But, between the expense, and the still brick shapes of the completed models, its not for me. But, look around, they also carry a brand called COBI. I first spotted their car kits. They looked pretty good with more rounded shapes and a much lower price. So I had to buy the Citroen you see below. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

FA8CC783-D238-4D20-B753-A5C6647D010A.jpeg

8818167A-7E6B-4819-8E6E-E36AA9E054C0.jpeg

Interesting.

54 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

go do to Scale Model Supply in St. Paul, MN.

I love that place! I really miss "The Dungeon". It's such a throwback to the shops we remember from "back in the day", only with even newer and better stuff! And a lot of that old stuff, too. Anybody visiting the Twin Cities--Scale Model Supplies is a must-see

25 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I love that place! I really miss "The Dungeon". It's such a throwback to the shops we remember from "back in the day", only with even newer and better stuff! And a lot of that old stuff, too. Anybody visiting the Twin Cities--Scale Model Supplies is a must-see

Yea, the “Dungeon,” Scale Model Supply is still as great as ever. 

• Like 1

Okay, I had a lot of fun building my COBI Citroen. If it wasn’t for missing tire, I would have had the kit done in less than hour. The missing tire was not big problem. I called Brickmania, and they said they could replace it right away. So, down I went to Brickmania for my missing tire. Well, since I was there, and I had so much fun building the Citroen, I  decided I had to pick up COBI’s Fokker DR.1 “Red Baron” kit. I got a thing about anything dealing with the Red Baron. 

I hope the “Red Baron” kit builds as well, and is as much fun as the Citroen was. If it is, I saw there that COBI makes a model of a Schwimmwagen. That maybe my next purchase. 

EF479119-58F5-4624-A96F-69A2F2FB8951.jpeg

DC5D8023-F1B2-4476-9D11-C90B2A5B2E27.jpeg

F69B540E-AC03-46CE-91D6-3DFC00E70080.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ever wonder what would happen if you crossed a VW Beetle with a Model T?  MPC did, apparently, and Tim Fletcher had a go at building this one 50-ish years ago.

Missing some parts, but nothing that should be too hard to replace…

64380473-2D2D-4D98-AF0A-7363FC87104F.jpeg

032E2B01-6AC5-446B-A5AA-9E32B77A9547.jpeg

C9876F0E-ABAC-43E4-BCEA-26C0ECE949BB.jpeg

B2338358-7199-4E47-AFD1-496E1B266125.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool! Volksrods were a thing here in SoCal in the late '60s/early '70s; Rod & Custom gave them pretty good coverage, then they seem to have faded away. Basically Fad T-bucket with a hood in the front (instead of the usual chromed SBC) and a VW powertrain tucked under the shortened pickup bed.

Anyway, picked up a '67 Corvair dashboard and steering wheel - the only year from '65-'69 that AMT depicted the auto shifter on the dash; already have a Roth Road Agent for the Corvair Powerglide transmission so I can make my '69 an automatic.

Also grabbed a clean early issue '65 GTO rear bumper cheeeeeep to get taillight lenses to help salvage a damaged promo.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ever wonder what would happen if you crossed a VW Beetle with a Model T?  MPC did, apparently, and Tim Fletcher had a go at building this one 50-ish years ago.

Missing some parts, but nothing that should be too hard to replace…

64380473-2D2D-4D98-AF0A-7363FC87104F.jpeg

032E2B01-6AC5-446B-A5AA-9E32B77A9547.jpeg

C9876F0E-ABAC-43E4-BCEA-26C0ECE949BB.jpeg

B2338358-7199-4E47-AFD1-496E1B266125.jpeg

That looks like a Corvair power plant, rather than VW. 

• Like 1

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...