Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

10 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

You can always put an engine it that Volvo , cool kit !

I did think about that, but the amount of work involved with making the hood operable, and scratch building the extra parts isn't something I'm eager to sign up for. Besides Have you ever seen on of these engines after the hood is opened? There's not all that much to see except for a lot of ductwork. I'm more about how I can have the roof section be removable to display that cool interior.

20220923_133918.thumb.jpg.a9fbe52ed61c4a56d65b6d554a3ad148.jpg20220923_133918.thumb.jpg.a9fbe52ed61c4a56d65b6d554a3ad148.jpgGot my shipment from MegaHobby. The were having a sale on the Manx. So I grabbed 2 for the parts for the up  coming Baja bug kit. I couldn't fit the factory type grill on the Revell Chevy van so I scrapped the whole project for this Foxy Boxy kit.  It comes wit the factory grill in the kit. So now I'm combining the 2 kits . Should be cool. Also my latest Fireball order arrived.  Joseph was kind enough to make me some KC Daylighter decals. 4 in 1/16 so I can use them on the big Revell Chevy pickup. One thing I thought was strange.  Joseph must have changed his formula for his super swampers.  The new ones are light grey and sort of hard. I guess I'll have to paint them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kelson said:

Todays arrival,hard to find these for a decent price nowadays.🤠IMG_3996.thumb.JPG.317d956f58f74ffdb62ca185c3c27934.JPG

Sweet! I've been wanting to get the grand cherokee.   

EDIT: Matter of fact just looked on ebay and found it brand new $54 that's with tax and shipping.  It's the cheapest I've seen it on ebay so went ahead and got it.

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Stopped by Hobby Lobby on a whim and lucked upon 2 kits that the scalpers hadn't gotten. I bought the '53 Corvette more for the tin box than the kit, but I'll end up building it too. 

20220923_202616.jpg

Nice scores!  We never even HAD the pickup or the 53 Vette at my local HL, but I would’ve grabbed those too.  I DID get a ‘70 though…

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice scores!  We never even HAD the pickup or the 53 Vette at my local HL, but I would’ve grabbed those too.  I DID get a ‘70 though…

I was really surprised to see the '70 and the Chevy pickup back on the shelf. The last time I stopped in the whole aisle was cleaned out. Just another mystery of HL I guess lol! The two stores here replaced the tin box Charger with the '53. Yours might do the same.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:29 AM, Brudda said:

Saw this at the Sacramento IPMS event. Their club had a expensive for sale table but the kits were really discounted. By a lot. But still expensive. I could not get this kit out if my mind, for the price. The kit needs a lot of modeling to get it to look right. But that’s what we do, right? Anyway, Scott had to go to Sacramento last weekend and he picked it up for me. What in the world am I going to do with another big kit? I’m glad my wife understands my insanity. Or it may be she just puts up with it. Here it is, it will go great with the Lamborghini Miura I’m building. Boy Since the daughter moved out to the college dorm, I can store these kits in her room. I’m hooked with these big kits. Just bought the 1/8 monogram jag for $40 also. Hello my name is Bruce and I’m a plastic addict. 

480006AA-F810-4340-9B16-BE38F8EF6226.jpeg

Opened the box. It was all nice and neat. Just checking the parts out. Not the quality of the old pocher kits. Reminds me of a old 1/25 imc kit. A lot of detail but nothing fit. It’s a start. The mercury is 1/25

29D2BC91-BFC8-4FA7-9CEE-2A1578D506CB.jpeg

1C55D784-443B-47B0-A0C9-9625FDE376EA.jpeg

A2E8F8A4-9370-4238-8384-9C6AB658C3A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Attended a model show in Prescott Valley today, it's a new organization on it's 3rd year, had some vendors from Phoenix.  I spotted this resin Batmobile, was marked half off original price and she gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.  I have no idea who made it, no instructions.  Should there be wheels with the bat on the hubcaps?  And why does the hood open when there is no engine?
IMG_4622.thumb.jpg.8f6740ded30159f194e763c12824ea02.jpg
IMG_4623.thumb.jpg.fb5893bc60c7880376cb6cbfb5c7289b.jpg

Yesterday was the 2022 Toronto Model Car Show and Contest, put on by Group 25. It was a great opportunity to meet up with modelling friends that I haven't seen in person for a while. I purchased a few kits and was happy to win a raffle prize as well. I really like the Revell '41 Willys kit, which was sealed. The Tamiya Alfa Romeo, still sealed, might be an original issue as it does not have Cartograf decals. The Hasegawa Jaguar XJR-8 LM does include the Silk Cut sponsor decals. Rotary tool bits are always useful.

2022-09-24a.jpg

2022-09-24b.jpg

2022-09-24c.jpg

2022-09-24d.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Brudda said:

Opened the box. It was all nice and neat. Just checking the parts out. Not the quality of the old pocher kits. Reminds me of a old 1/25 imc kit. A lot of detail but nothing fit. It’s a start. The mercury is 1/25

29D2BC91-BFC8-4FA7-9CEE-2A1578D506CB.jpeg

1C55D784-443B-47B0-A0C9-9625FDE376EA.jpeg

A2E8F8A4-9370-4238-8384-9C6AB658C3A9.jpeg

The paint on that one looks pretty good. The one I bought had a clear vinyl/plastic strap across the roof that left a mark that I could not remove. Also I had the same problem with the red painted parts that were sealed with the plastic wrap.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:49 AM, RSchnell said:

I was really surprised to see the '70 and the Chevy pickup back on the shelf. The last time I stopped in the whole aisle was cleaned out. Just another mystery of HL I guess lol! The two stores here replaced the tin box Charger with the '53. Yours might do the same.

My hobby Lobby has the Studebaker tin and I haven’t see the Corvette tin yet..

21 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Yesterday was the 2022 Toronto Model Car Show and Contest, put on by Group 25. It was a great opportunity to meet up with modelling friends that I haven't seen in person for a while. I purchased a few kits and was happy to win a raffle prize as well. I really like the Revell '41 Willys kit, which was sealed. The Tamiya Alfa Romeo, still sealed, might be an original issue as it does not have Cartograf decals. The Hasegawa Jaguar XJR-8 LM does include the Silk Cut sponsor decals. Rotary tool bits are always useful.

2022-09-24a.jpg

2022-09-24b.jpg

2022-09-24c.jpg

2022-09-24d.jpg

The '41 Willys is a great kit even built out of box. 

• Like 1

Found these two goodies at the Three Rivers show yesterday.  The Pontiac is the nicest one I have ever seen, period.  It has a couple of peculiar modifications: the chrome tach in place of the lower grille filler piece, and the Moon discs on the rear only.  There was a pair of homemade fender skirts on when I bought it, they appear to have been cut from some large flat piece from the same kit, maybe a tonneau cover for the rear seat area.  Those were attached with tiny tabs of scrap plastic, one for each skirt.  They practically fell off.  There were side pipes at one time but they were cemented only at the chassis end, not to the floor pan or body.  I fixed one of these that had the original kit skirts, those butt up against the side trim and the cement usually does some damage.  This one is way nicer, but I'll probably keep both.

The Falcon is a Craftsman kit that was just snapped together with no alterations.  I have wanted to put a hardtop on one.  Not this one...other than an unbuilt one, this is now "best" and the couple others I have will move down a notch.

20220926_184411.jpg

20220926_184347.jpg

• Like 3