Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

17 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

If you want to build the AMT Sunbeam Tiger as the #45 shown, the little four-lug Halibrands can be found in the Metalflake version of the Revell '62 Valiant. Happy hunting.

Chris nice score on your model, looks like you have some good builders..

• Like 1

I completed a great Kijiji deal today. Not everyone is a Tom Daniel fan, but I'm very happy to find these. Some of the boxes are a little rough, but I knew that from the pictures that the seller posted.  All are complete and most are sealed inside. That is about as good as it gets, given the age and rarity of most of them.

2022-10-19A.jpg

2022-10-19B.jpg

2022-10-19C.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Horrorshow said:

Salvinos Donnie Allison Hawaiian Tropic Monte Carlo.

Some paint and sand paper.

Going to try some brush painting on car bodies. Too cold now to spray outside ( I’m in Canada)

If you might be brush painting with acrylic paint, I might suggest using some acrylic paint retarder, such as that by Tamiya. A couple of drops added to your paint will allow the paint to flow out better on the plastic surface, which helps to reduce brush stroke marks. I agree, it is getting too cold to be painting outside, especially with a spray can. LOL

Tamiya Acrylic Paint retarder.jpg

Edited by Bill Eh?
added to post

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

HL 40% off week. My wife has always liked the old VW bug so I got it for her. She wants it painted pink. 

DSCN0189.JPG

I just left hobby lobby today.  They were on sale as well, but every kit they had i already got lol.  They had one clearance kit and few empty holes I'm assuming was clearance kits.  The kit that was on clearance was some slammer kit from revell i think it was for $5.  Should of bought it to resell on ebay, but i did buy a glass cutting matt though. 

Original Batmobile made by Doallser. I thought it was die-cast, turns out it's plastic. Even still I am quite pleased. It's a cool looking model and far better than I would have done. No box but it does have the figures.  It is nicely detailed and nothing seems to be missing. The original Batmobile has been my favorite and I'm glad to be able to put one on the shelf. There is a slight smudge on the hood that I may try to rub out...or not.
bat1.jpg.caa600152fd6e87a4023ecdbb8c2e30a.jpg
bat3.jpg.25060340e9a7e427df168079a32242db.jpg
bat2.jpg.059d4e03b893abbabf9feafc8706d133.jpg
bat4.jpg.b4ab345818d333cb41149c1c09650e13.jpg

11 minutes ago, DPNM said:

Original Batmobile made by Doallser. I thought it was die-cast, turns out it's plastic. Even still I am quite pleased. It's a cool looking model and far better than I would have done. No box but it does have the figures.  It is nicely detailed and nothing seems to be missing. The original Batmobile has been my favorite and I'm glad to be able to put one on the shelf. There is a slight smudge on the hood that I may try to rub out...or not.
bat1.jpg.caa600152fd6e87a4023ecdbb8c2e30a.jpg
bat3.jpg.25060340e9a7e427df168079a32242db.jpg
bat2.jpg.059d4e03b893abbabf9feafc8706d133.jpg
bat4.jpg.b4ab345818d333cb41149c1c09650e13.jpg

I have that kit. It’s made by polar lights. Very nice detailed kit least the one I got is.  The bat mobile from the new movies is pretty nice too made by mobius.

101A3C84-530F-4835-9B36-D5798680E31C.jpeg

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dpate said:

I have that kit. It’s made by polar lights. Very nice detailed kit least the one I got is.  The bat mobile from the new movies is pretty nice too made by mobius.

Thank you for the kit ID Dusty. This one looks to have been done well. I'm sure the Moebius kit is real nice. If it requires assembly I know I'd never get to it. At least this one was done.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DPNM said:

Thank you for the kit ID Dusty. This one looks to have been done well. I'm sure the Moebius kit is real nice. If it requires assembly I know I'd never get to it. At least this one was done.

Yeah it requires assembly, but I think they have a die cast version of it not made by moebius though. And yeah the one you got someone did a fantastic job on it looks really good.  My favorite Batmobile though is the 1989 version even though the original is good looking machine too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dpate said:

My favorite Batmobile though is the 1989 version even though the original is good looking machine too. 

That is probably my second favorite. I watched the original show when it first aired, adds another reason as to why I like the car a bit more. Holy Crud Batman, I'm old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

If you might be brush painting with acrylic paint, I might suggest using some acrylic paint retarder, such as that by Tamiya. A couple of drops added to your paint will allow the paint to flow out better on the plastic surface, which helps to reduce brush stroke marks. I agree, it is getting too cold to be painting outside, especially with a spray can. LOL

Tamiya Acrylic Paint retarder.jpg

This is what I purchased 434CA6D0-6221-4238-B671-B4D350932E03.thumb.jpeg.558a3ba648b05ad2ea54d2add228af21.jpeg

1 hour ago, Horrorshow said:

This is what I purchased 434CA6D0-6221-4238-B671-B4D350932E03.thumb.jpeg.558a3ba648b05ad2ea54d2add228af21.jpeg

Tamiya also has a retarder agent  for lacquer paint. This might be useful if you were going to brush paint Tamiya's Liquid Surface Primer. The Testors square bottle paint is enamel, right? I'm not sure if the the same Lacquer Retarder could be used when brush  painting enamel. Might be worth a try.

Tamiya Lacquer Paint Retarder II.jpg

Edited by Bill Eh?

7 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I completed a great Kijiji deal today. Not everyone is a Tom Daniel fan, but I'm very happy to find these. Some of the boxes are a little rough, but I knew that from the pictures that the seller posted.  All are complete and most are sealed inside. That is about as good as it gets, given the age and rarity of most of them.

2022-10-19A.jpg

2022-10-19B.jpg

2022-10-19C.jpg

Wow ! That's a score !! 👍👍👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

2022-10-19A.jpg

2022-10-19B.jpg

2022-10-19C.jpg

I am jealous. I would love to have the RC cola version of the Beer Wagon. Also the T'rantula and the Ice T.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, PatW said:

Wow! Saw that in action in the day at Silverstone Circuit, UK. When I was a long time race/air traffic marshall.

That should have been a great time to be watching the circuit!

I have gotten into watching the GT races for the last couple of years, love some of the new cars, but sparked old interest in the older cars as well.

I have been using a Xuron Micro Shear sprue cutter and it works quite well. However, I wanted a cutter for finer work and just received the Tamiya "Sharp Pointed Side Cutter" (#123) which really works well when removing small, delicate parts. For whatever reason Amazon is selling it for quite a bit less than my regular online retailer which usually has great prices.

8 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Tamiya also has a retarder agent  for lacquer paint. This might be useful if you were going to brush paint Tamiya's Liquid Surface Primer. The Testors square bottle paint is enamel, right? I'm not sure if the the same Lacquer Retarder could be used when brush  painting enamel. Might be worth a try.

Tamiya Lacquer Paint Retarder II.jpg

Thanks for the tip Bill. Maybe I’ll switch to lacquer paint and use this retarder. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

2022-10-19A.jpg

2022-10-19B.jpg

2022-10-19C.jpg

Great score!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

Thanks for the tip Bill. Maybe I’ll switch to lacquer paint and use this retarder. 

I know the smell of lacquer is pretty powerful, but the finish is outstanding! It shouldn't be as bad as using a spray can indoors. LOL  Let me know how it goes, and good luck with fall/winter modelling here in the GWN!

27 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

I know the smell of lacquer is pretty powerful, but the finish is outstanding! It shouldn't be as bad as using a spray can indoors. LOL  Let me know how it goes, and good luck with fall/winter modelling here in the GWN!

Yikes! I need to stay away from bad smells. We are in a basement apartment. I’ll stick to the enamel for now. Perhaps I can find a retarder for enamels. 
I appreciate your advice Bill. Will post pics when I get started.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horrorshow said:

Yikes! I need to stay away from bad smells. We are in a basement apartment. I’ll stick to the enamel for now. Perhaps I can find a retarder for enamels. 
I appreciate your advice Bill. Will post pics when I get started.

Since enamel paints can be thinned with lacquer thinner, the lacquer retarder might still be an option for your enamel brush painting.