Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 10/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, Horrorshow said:

Is there a brand of brushes and type of paint you would recommend? Primer too?

Royal is a good mid range brush brand. You might have to talk to the art guy at the store to find what he recommends. I am just speaking with my own experience. Most of my model work is done with Tamiya sprays and bottle paints. They work well for me. Their Acrylics aren't bad. As far as a thinner for Testors, I've used a couple drops of enamel thinner, any brand would work. Remember that Testor's yellow is sort of transparent and the underlying color will show through. I've never tried a brush on primer. I always use a spray. I like Plasti-cote or Duplicolor. I had some success with NAPA's primer. Tamiya has very good spray primers in different colors.

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I have a kit of this to build but I know it could never be this nice. So I went for it and got it today in the mail. When I was younger I owned a white 4 door hard top.loved that car. 

1960 Ford.jpeg

That is a great looking Starliner. 

2 hours ago, Brudda said:

Oh boy. Mark just dropped off this 1/8 VW Beatle convertible. Need a bigger house. 

2FD20221-34AD-47C6-8AE6-D64046F08162.jpeg

Had to open a few boxes just to see what’s there. From what I see, the convertible top will work, a lot of parts  for the top. I’m going to try to resin cast a 1/8 Porsche 911 Carrera wheel. Two tone paint and slam it to the ground. It’s a superbeatle a lot different than the original bug. 

A2E4AEFD-4FE1-4E70-BEC8-27B0EAD55E01.jpeg

C5B611C3-D75B-4544-88A7-B77C0F08F187.jpeg

6653815A-76B9-49CB-8F3A-BD9D0C0364D4.jpeg

C63120C2-6134-4BFD-B10D-89EB482061FE.jpeg

13 hours ago, Brudda said:

Had to open a few boxes just to see what’s there. From what I see, the convertible top will work, a lot of parts  for the top. I’m going to try to resin cast a 1/8 Porsche 911 Carrera wheel. Two tone paint and slam it to the ground. It’s a superbeatle a lot different than the original bug. 

A2E4AEFD-4FE1-4E70-BEC8-27B0EAD55E01.jpeg

C5B611C3-D75B-4544-88A7-B77C0F08F187.jpeg

6653815A-76B9-49CB-8F3A-BD9D0C0364D4.jpeg

C63120C2-6134-4BFD-B10D-89EB482061FE.jpeg

That should be fun. You going to repaint this one ?

My new laptop arrived so i can finally do some printing. If any of you are thinking to get a 3d printer make sure your computer has at least 8gig of ram. mine didn't so i had to upgrade which is why its in model related new stuff. I only got it so i can use my 3d printer and both my laptops i had were too weak but this one works like a charm and hasn't crashed running lychee. Cant wait to get home on saturday and print something

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cobraman said:

That should be fun. You going to repaint this one ?

Hello Ray, yes I’m going to paint it another color. Do not know what color yet . I’m going for a cal look but that will depends on if I can resin cast a Porsche wheel for it. If I can , it will be slammed and a wild color will painted. If I cannot cast a wheel I will go for the Austin power colors.