Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 hours ago, Brudda said:

My friend Todd brought this by today. I opened it up and the tires are fantastic. They must be the amt parts pack tires that I used on my 67 camaro. Seems like a good kit. I will build it and see which kit I like better. 

194B8AB2-6F03-4D6B-AD43-6DC3AFEE76B2.jpeg

It is a nice kit on the whole... I built one several years back. Not the best work on my end but I was just getting back into it at the time. Pictures are terrible sorry. 20191130_012613.thumb.jpg.10820794ea57ec5301d72ceb19543b0f.jpg20191130_012059.thumb.jpg.db78451d82125cc005d996edd5e2cace.jpg

Hobby Lobby was well stocked today so I brought home the GMC Astro COE , a '67 Impala ss , and the wild Hoss Bronco. Seen the Buick GSX kit marked 39.99 which is the same price that the GMC was selling for. I Bought the GMC because I have the Turbine engine that round2  issued awhile back to go in it..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just picked up one of these on feebay. Sealed kit! Sure, these are curbside, snap kits, but the are 1/25 and will work with the bin full of parts from the deserter kit alone and are really good looking when finished. I have an Olson bros. winch bumper set that will fit (not too sure about the future of that co.). Already have a set of Fireball tires in the bin picked out for this one. I'm thinking the 1/25 wheels from the Deserter kit will look nice with this kit. Should be nice on the shelf in the end.

599de8e955a4b1bfc186cb1fa726de00.jpg

I think that’s a cool kit with lots of potential!

• Like 2

Stopped by Ollie's at lunch and picked up 2 of these old 56's to rob parts from. I got the SR71 because why not. The Lambo came via ebay as a spare because it was cheap.

And the $5 quart of duplicolor champagne gold mettalic was the real score of the day!  They had an entire shelf of it. Not the first can I  scored like this. I got Emerald green metalic, Jet Black, Candy orange, Candy red, grey primer and clear.

20221201_165344.thumb.jpg.3268f688b4c208012bccb251e07846bd.jpg20221201_165228.thumb.jpg.01af0c98928444f47b8aaec48677a4e0.jpg

• Like 1

FLH and Honda with rider arrived today.  Suzuki RM 250 is at the post office (guess I gotta go pick it up).

On the Harley  seller never did tell me the handle bar was broken and missing.  Haven't decided how to correct this yet. Like these bars on the FLH. Bars are pretty delicate.  Anybody have any ideas. Would be greatly appreciated. 

20221201_190829.thumb.jpg.146ade32625178a55987f72e6a004698.jpg20221201_191320.thumb.jpg.9890a34f226bda6767c296f3ac0dc11b.jpg

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

FLH and Honda with rider arrived today.  Suzuki RM 250 is at the post office (guess I gotta go pick it up).

On the Harley  seller never did tell me the handle bar was broken and missing.  Haven't decided how to correct this yet. Like these bars on the FLH. Bars are pretty delicate.  Anybody have any ideas. Would be greatly appreciated. 

20221201_190829.thumb.jpg.146ade32625178a55987f72e6a004698.jpg

Cut off both sides flush, and drill and bend some brass rod to make replacements... then add your favorite flavor of chrome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Good idea Leroy. I'm headed to HL tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks.

Hopefully it works out for you. I would drill all the way through the handlebar clamp... insert the brass rod, bend to shape then cut to length.

Would probably be MUCH stronger than doing each side separate.

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

20221201_190829.thumb.jpg.146ade32625178a55987f72e6a004698.jpg20221201_191320.thumb.jpg.9890a34f226bda6767c296f3ac0dc11b.jpg

Man i was eye balling one of those FLH on ebay it was brand new still wrapped for $50 that's with shipping.  Usually what i do with parts that are broke is test fit the part, because if it's a clean break usually dab of tamiya thin cement will save the day if not than yeah what LL3 said.  What i mean by clean break is when you put the two parts together, and they fit back together perfectly, and doesn't even look like it was ever broken than BOOM dab of thin cement, light sanding, prime, than winner winner chicken dinner. 

Assuming the missing part is missing, gluing it back on won’t help much…

I’d pick up some solid aluminum bar of the same diameter and scratchbuild a new set - brass works too, but aluminum is the right color already and it’ll be a little easier to work than the brass would .  If you’ll need to solder multiple pieces tho, obviously brass is the way to go.

Plain old styrene round bar would do the trick too though to fix rather than replace

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Assuming the missing part is missing, gluing it back on won’t help much…

I’d pick up some solid aluminum bar of the same diameter and scratchbuild a new set - brass works too, but aluminum is the right color already and it’ll be a little easier to work than the brass would .  If you’ll need to solder multiple pieces tho, obviously brass is the way to go.

Plain old styrene round bar would do the trick too though to fix rather than replace

Yeah i didn't notice the missing part lol smh 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I would use aluminum rod like CabDriver said and do a one piece bar like LL3 suggested. Drill a centered pilot hole in the handlebar clamp halfway through from both ends with a tiny bit. Then use a slightly larger bit to go all the way through, and keep increasing bit size until you have the size you need for the rod.

9FA56D03-4A72-4DAE-9BDA-DAECD01AF63C.jpeg

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I would use aluminum rod like CabDriver said and do a one piece bar like LL3 suggested. Drill a centered pilot hole in the handlebar clamp halfway through from both ends with a tiny bit. Then use a slightly larger bit to go all the way through, and keep increasing bit size until you have the size you need for the rod.

9FA56D03-4A72-4DAE-9BDA-DAECD01AF63C.jpeg

The only place I see a potential for issue with your plan is drilling the holes from both ends vs just going from one side and out the other.

Trying to make sure your hole is strait twice and that they meet perfectly is far more tricky and risky than doing it once.

just a thought.

Edited by LL3 Model Worx

Well I got the Steel rod. I'm afraid the aluminum would break instead of bending. I also picked up some Tubing because last time I tried to drill out something this small, it ended in a catastrophe. Friday around 10:30 HL was already jam packed with Christmas shoppers. I got my nephew a couple of dirt bike kits (the kid is already obsessed with motorcycles) I figure I'll try to introduce him to model building. 

Also swung by the post office to pick up my Suzuki kit from Japan. I did notice that HL had the Wild Hoss Bronco kits and the Revell '66 Chevelle kits on the shelves. 

20221202_133327.thumb.jpg.febed9f422e22b5e835cbb5c2f5a3fc7.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

The only place I see a potential for issue with your plan is drilling the holes from both ends vs just going from one side and out the other.

Trying to make sure your hole is strait twice and that they meet perfectly is far more tricky and risky than doing it once.

just a thought.

If the holes don’t meet perfectly at the center, following with incrementally larger bits should true up the hole. Getting a perfectly centered hole all the way through from one side would be difficult….unless you’re a machinist. Try both methods on a chunk of sprue and see which works better. JMO.

• Like 1

tomy-300sl.jpg

This is a bit of a Grail kit, and this one was surprisingly affordable on the well known auction site. It's beautifully detailed, with full engine and interior, and includes cast white metal major components and photo-etched detail parts, plus an accompanying figure. Probably will hit the bench pretty soon.

Best,

M.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 2:44 PM, bluestringer said:

Hobby Lobby 40% off...........regular price was 39.99. 

DSCN0303.JPG

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:

1951 Chevy Bel Air. I was born in 51 and I remember my Dad having a 51 Bel Air in the mid to late 50's. Don't remember much about it, but do remember it being a 3 speed on the steering column. I think it was black. 

DSCN0312.JPG

Nice kits James, I have built the Buick it’s a great kit!

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:

1951 Chevy Bel Air. I was born in 51 and I remember my Dad having a 51 Bel Air in the mid to late 50's. Don't remember much about it, but do remember it being a 3 speed on the steering column. I think it was black. 

DSCN0312.JPG

My Dad had a 50 or 51 Pontiac same body style. Was a beauty. Sold it to a guy who totalled it a week later.