Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 3/17/2023 at 12:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm in the market for some new airbrushes.

Sure would like to see some examples of the work these produce for you...maybe start a thread somewhere else?

I'd be interested too.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:47 AM, ctruss53 said:

My new Iwata Eclipse airbrush came in the mail today.

I had an Eclipse airbrush years ago. Instead of buying another one, or even just the parts I needed when I broke it, I wasted an insane amount of money trying other airbrushes. I hated them all. Paasche, Badger, a couple cheap Chinese knock-off Badgers, and finally I spent some big money on a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution. They all sucked.

I mean they worked fine, but I don't like that fiddly little needle seat you have to use a wrench on to take it off and clean it. And the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution was amazing, but every 5th time I took it apart to clean it out the o-ring would tear and then I was down until I could get another one. After the 3rd o-ring in 2 months I finally ponied up and got another Eclipse.

End rant. :)

Whatcha gonna do with the ones you don't like?

I had one show up yesterday. Wold model U.

wolduyel.jpg.1182761fef4e10a309508e970dd09bfd.jpg

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 3

You are correct Bill.

Charles L Burdick worked for T&C then too. It's said he thought that TC was using more of Wolds designs than his so he moved to England. He formed the Aerograph company there.

In my opinion, OC Wold came up with some interesting designs, the U above being one.

7 minutes ago, DPNM said:

You are correct Bill.

Charles L Burdick worked for T&C then too. It's said he thought that TC was using more of Wolds designs than his so he moved to England. He formed the Aerograph company there.

In my opinion, OC Wold came up with some interesting designs, the U above being one.

If only O. Wold had believed in the power of advertising! You have probably visited the site, airbrushmuseum.com where there is some fascinating reading.

• Like 1

I've been there. I revisit it every so often. Lots of good info. And pics. 

It amazes me what they were able to do back then. Most people probably don't think so but they are complicated to make. It's one reason I like airbrushes. And why I've really started to try to find old ones.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Finally, after much waiting. I ordered my 1/24 and 1/25 3D resin winch bumpers from Texas 3D Customs. 

https://tx3dcustoms.com/products/warn-winch-bumper?_pos=1&_sid=f13f607e9&_ss=r

Sorry I really have been busy dropping a lot of stuff recently and all while trying to keep up with orders

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, DPNM said:

I had one show up yesterday. Wold model U.

wolduyel.jpg.1182761fef4e10a309508e970dd09bfd.jpg

Beautiful Model U!  After I found your posts on vintage airbrushes I've been visiting the airbrushmuseum page often.  The Model U acts as a dual action but it is controlled by the down travel of the trigger.  Interesting that Paasche worked for Wold, and Wold worked for T&C. 

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 1

There are two levers on the U. The top (trigger) controls the air. The second controls the paint flow. The finger pad makes contact with the second lever to start paint flow. This means the trigger (air) is"full on" when the paint begins to flow. The further down the paint lever goes the more paint is sprayed. The wheel on the back lowers the paint lever. With practice you could have a preset amount of paint flow when you start and you could then modulate the trigger and use less air. This wheel works similar to the wheel on the front of older Paasche V or VLs or the screw on the post of a T&C or Badger. Those move their trigger backwards which will start paint flow.

The pic shows the trigger just at the point of touching the paint lever.

Woldu4ea.jpg.46bcf1c7972a46621afd1e55f9eba6eb.jpg

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 2:34 PM, RSchnell said:

Hit up a local model show/swap earlier, photos in Show coverage forum. Didn't get any car kits aside from these 2 old Pyro kits for $5, bought solely for the nostalgia factor as I had both when I was a kid. 

Great luck there - the '32 Plymouth is a tough one to find!

Grabbed a couple wrecks from eBay yesterday:

580352920_33chevypanel1.jpg.e27746ec4d6cb64ba4c357ac28ef429d.jpg

1763483544_33chevypanel5.jpg.f9e5159719db8ca58d51b60c2e340661.jpg

188412796_33chevypanel6.jpg.3bba88632f8e5bf4c64521dbdf3887d6.jpg

Been wanting to build this for a LONG time! Of course after I win the auction, a good unbuilt one shows up in my "recommended for you" for only $20 more.

In the words of John Belushi:

7f4h6n.gif.6ea72372b524c62919d925f63758b857.gif

Also got the remains of a '64 Chevelle to salvage hood, backup lights and decklid from:

1459208368_64chevelleremains1.jpg.d7e25584d6df6e904d7abd79b83a6782.jpg

668196700_64chevelleremains4.jpg.3c539e058fda27f4f5c0295bc0e6ba5e.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks! I figure what's missing can be found in the often-reissued Cabriolet, right? I notice the wheels are 6 x 5.5" all the way up to 1948; maybe I could use a set from the AMT '37 in the front and Galaxie Unlimited '48 in the rear to give it period steelies with a rubber rake. Then pile on the surfboards. (And of course this means Round2 should be cloning the darn thing any time now...)

Don't know what the PO was thinking when they hacked up the C-pillars on the Chevelle - makes it look like a Rambler!

Edited by ChrisBcritter
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Thanks! I figure what's missing can be found in the often-reissued Cabriolet, right? I notice the wheels are 6 x 5.5" all the way up to 1948; maybe I could use a set from the AMT '37 in the front and Galaxie Unlimited '48 in the rear to give it period steelies with a rubber rake. Then pile on the surfboards. (And of course this means Round2 should be cloning the darn thing any time now...)

Don't know what the PO was thinking when they hacked up the C-pillars on the Chevelle - makes it look like a Rambler!

Yes, that Chevelle does look like a rambler now.   It looks like everything you need will be in the Cabriolet kit.  I like the surfboard idea. 

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My model Roundup order came today.

68 Coronet

67 Streaker Vette

71 Olds 442

Resin X-body Ventura

Resin mini liquid tank(er)

Got some color from Amazon as well.

63 Colors for $40.

Need to learn how to mix mica in clear.

Model Roundup order 2023.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

Get yourself some of the little plastic cups used in the medicine field to mix the mica and clear along with a popsicle stick to stir.

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Bill, what is your impression of the FFP Modelos Bugatti 251 kit?I

Looked on the FFP website but it is no longer listed.

I bought it from a private party, not FPP, and I have no idea how long he had it.

It's typical FPP, good quality, symmetrical and well proportioned main castings, somewhat thick. Butter-colored resin, fully cured and consistently hard.

Good quality if delicate detail castings, and one thing I appreciate particularly is the separate cam covers. Makes it much easier to do an appropriate finish on them than if they're molded with the head.

Instructions are typical, basic FPP one-sheet exploded drawing, and a good build will require referring to real-car photos to fully understand parts placement and orientation.

Kit includes a fret of jewel-like PE parts, a few loose metal parts, well-registered decals for numbers, instruments, and emblems, and of course, a set of Pinto's beautiful hand-laced wire wheels, already mounted with cast hard black resin treaded tires.

Should build up to a museum-quality piece with care and patience, with plenty of opportunity for super-detailing for those so inclined.

Full build writeup here:    https://mb2501.proboards.com/thread/9081/1956-bugatti-251

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 2

Another cheap 3-fer deal. I never buy this generation of Nascar kits unless they're practically giving them away (as I get 'em for parts), but I'll probably actually build the '89+ T-bird at some point, though most likely as an obsolete NASCAR piece repurposed into an LSR car.

Picture 1 of 21

Also snagged an extra body for the Ferrari 275P project, as there was so much gloo slathered on some parts of the one I'm working with, I couldn't tell exactly what a few areas were supposed to look like. Unfortunately, the wheels that came with it are 1/32 scale, not 1/24. 

Picture 1 of 10

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1