Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Last two cans of Duplicolor DAP1688 light gray sandable primer within 20 miles, or maybe the known universe. Everybody's got the sealer, the high-build scratch filler, and other colors of straight "sandable", but not this stuff. 

I'm happy.  :D

EDIT: Funny thing is...nobody knew they had it. Not in the computers at any of the stores I went to, and it rang up as primer-sealer 1699 when I finally found it at O'reilly's, even though the cans are clearly marked otherwise.

Sometimes, showing up in the flesh and actually looking on the shelves works better than trusting the infinite wisdom of the interdwerbs. Imagine that.  ;)

Maybe the DAP1688 is discontinued, and the internal inventory control says that the DAP 1699 supersedes it so the stores inventory treats it as one in the same. AI at work. 

22 minutes ago, espo said:

Maybe the DAP1688 is discontinued, and the internal inventory control says that the DAP 1699 supersedes it so the stores inventory treats it as one in the same. AI at work. 

Well...no matter how good the inventory control software is, it's only as good as whoever enters data into it. It's not as though there's a robot with vision that can actually read what's printed on the label, and somewhere along the line, a human did something wrong, by failing to adequately distinguish between the two part numbers as entirely different products.

GIGO rules.  B)

Got my Revell LA Street Chopper. and also got this Grim Reaper modified bike that someone must have lost interest in. The scratchbuilt forks would look interesting on the LA Street chopper. Defiantly gonna be using those drag bars.

revell-street-chopper-chrome-classic_1_5272b380784996802404daf9d00dc492.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Horrorshow said:

Technically it was Sunday, but I got Richard Petty’s Salvinos Charger, Petty’s Polar Lights 69 Torino and a mid 90’s Monogram Ted Musgrave T-Bird for 70 bucks at a hobby show, great prices for here in Canada.

David, it sounds like you found some great kits at Heritagecon. I have never built a NASCAR KIT, but did buy the Salvinos JR Joey Logano Mustang.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

That is a piece of history.

I've wanted one for a while and finally scored one at a decent price. I'll have to be on the lookout for wheel backs because the ones that came with it are kind of funky. 

My custom Grim Reaper Chopper arrived today. Looks like I going to be able to fit that scratch-built fork setup and drag bars onto the LA Street chopper with just a little sanding. Should look cool. Ebay seller did a really nice job on those forks.

848613084_s-l1600(10).jpg.d5805f17d1d96c43d555d9e924b1385b.jpg

• Like 1

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered this spray booth. I got the optional 425 CFM motor. That option comes with a 5” discharge. I added an expander (5” to 6”) to make the duct 6” up and out thru the wall. I caulked the interior seams to seal it up a little better. It appears to be well made, looking forward to putting to work. 
Should be the last one I need to acquire. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Engine 51 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered this spray booth. I got the optional 425 CFM motor. That option comes with a 5” discharge. I added an expander (5” to 6”) to make the duct 6” up and out thru the wall. I caulked the interior seams to seal it up a little better. It appears to be well made, looking forward to putting to work. 
Should be the last one I need to acquire. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

I didn’t think about caulking the inside of mine. Might get some clear n try it out, but you’re gonna love the booth. 

20230330_175313_resized.thumb.jpg.315fba6e08ae8dfeef7790cba28c42d1.jpg

When I was a wee lad and Truax Field (Madison,WI) was an active Air Force base(early '60s), I remember jumping out of my skin when a 102 would fly over and create a sonic boom. Public uproar made short work of that but I always thought they were a cool lookin fighter. Years later I joined the ANG at Truax and was given the assignment of "Radio Operator Maintenence And Driver (ROMAD). This was just at the end of Vietnam. My job was to drive a Major (or above) with a jeep full of radios and be in visual contact with The Target, relaying the coordinates to the guys flying the Cessna O2-A/B as final control for air strikes. My Life Expectancy was 3 hours, the Major (or above) was <90 minutes. Sure glad I never had to go! Got to ride with them in the Skymaster a few times though, twas awesome!

Anyway, I just happened to be on the Old Model Kits web site when both of these planes came up, I couldn't resist. The 102 has the added bonus of a decal sheet from the Wis ANG! Total Score!

The Dart and the Lola I picked up during a recent visit to Des Moines and visited the only 2 LHSs in the area. Provimi Veal is a Wisconsin based producer of, um, veal and I got an autograph from Arie Luyendyk at Road America when he raced there in the 80s so it was kinda cool to pick it up.... and I've never owned a Mopar model of any kind and I always thought the '69 Dart was the best looking one. A lot of detailed parts in the kit.

Edited by Raoul Ross
  • Like 1

Last Sunday at the Detroit show I got the '68 Coronet , the Moebius Resto mod Nova, the '68 G.T.O. Craftsman Plus, the Salvino '71 Road Runner, an Aoshima Infiniti kit with two different bodies, a Fujimi Lamborghini Veneno, and a Fujimi Enthusiast  '76 Porsche Turbo. And I got a taillight for my Jo-Han '69 AMX. The windows for it are next.

52 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

And I got a taillight for my Jo-Han '69 AMX. The windows for it are next.

Good luck in your quest.  I made a trade for an AMX as Okey had them in his stock at shows.....until I needed one.  Months later, I find an AMX rebuilder at a swap meet and it had two windows.  Gracious seller let me buy one of them

4 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

Last Sunday at the Detroit show I got the '68 Coronet , the Moebius Resto mod Nova, the '68 G.T.O. Craftsman Plus, the Salvino '71 Road Runner, an Aoshima Infiniti kit with two different bodies, a Fujimi Lamborghini Veneno, and a Fujimi Enthusiast  '76 Porsche Turbo. And I got a taillight for my Jo-Han '69 AMX. The windows for it are next.

That's funny. I need a taillight for my AMX. Mine only has half.