Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

At the local toy show, I couldn't resist a started (but seems to be complete) original annual Palmer 1966 Corvette. Yeah, I know, it's a POS, but it'll be a hoot to have it in my collection of original AMTs and MPCs.

Also got an original Palmer '67 Thunderbird in the deal, if THAT happens to be anybody's "Holy Grail" kit. Will be happy to trade it off. Box and everything.

At the local toy show, I couldn't resist a started (but seems to be complete) original annual Palmer 1966 Corvette.

Once I had nearly every kit I needed, I started buying Palmer and Premier kits when I saw them cheap at shows.  The box art is usually pretty cool, with no indication of the awful kit inside!   :wacko:

Where you'd find AMT, MPC, Johan and Revell kits on hobby store shelves,  you'd find the Palmer and Premier kits at small nickel and dime stores, luncheonettes and the like.  Probably sold along with a selection of cheap toys by jobbers.  

...Where you'd find AMT, MPC, Johan and Revell kits on hobby store shelves,  you'd find the Palmer and Premier kits at small nickel and dime stores, luncheonettes and the like.  Probably sold along with a selection of cheap toys by jobbers.  

A friend in Los Angeles once managed an old-time toy/hobby shop. He always had a rack of those "cheap toys by jobbers" near the cash register, which he called "Shut 'em Up Toys."

When I was a kid, Palmer/Premier were eye-roll material - the kits well-meaning but clueless aunts gave us for birthdays and Christmas.  One exception was the Premier 1/32 scale 1907 Mack truck.  That was a very nice kit, complete with the barrels.  I still have a very old Kodak snapshot of the one I built back then. They turn up on eBay occasionally at pretty stiff prices:

07 Mack Premier_sm.jpg

My courier dropped off package from Tower Hobbies containing a Moebius  Plymouth Belvedere. While the Moebius box is in perfect condition the body shell of this kit has a warped roof from what looks to be too much being stuffed in to a box thats too small.

I had already read a lot about others having a similar  issue so it was a roll of the dice to buy this kit. All I can do now is run the hot water and try to get it back in to shape.

The past two days were good - something at the store and something at the door.  Picked up the new Revell Mazda RX-7 at the lhs. The 2'n1 is great, although I really wonder why the kit has the "big racer" add-on flares and other parts, but only skinny little street tires.

Today, my new Porsche 917 PA arrived.  A great little 1/24 resin kit from Allen James at Race Car Modeler. If you dont know the car it was more or less the first of the 917's to turn a wheel in competition.

The body is molded in smooth white resin and the detail parts in gray. I would call it a detail curbside as the suspension is nicely detailed at the rear of the car, while the engine is upper and lower inserts, wheels have separate discs and rotors and soft resin tires. The kit includes decals for the blue Porsche markings and a three-sheet instruction guide. Apologies for the not so good cell phone pictures.

Contact Allen at allendjames.aj@gmail.com. He has some other 917 variants and a C-type Jaguar in the works

917PA body.jpg

917PA layout.jpg

917PA wheels.jpg

91PA driveline.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...