Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 3/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, unclescott58 said:

I got a new sprue cutter I saw recommended by a model builder on YouTube. They're designed with a slightly narrower jaw to get closer to the parts on the tree. It looks better than my old Revell ProModeler sprue cutters. But not by much. The old Revell cutters still work well, but we'll see if these work any better? I've had such good luck with Tamiya products in the past, that I expect I'll be pleased with these. 

IMG_3342.JPG

I've been wanting a pair of these myself

24 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

just picked up the AMT 70 1/2 Camaro kit. I seem to remember building a similar kit with a vinyl top. Does anyone know which kit that was?

The early second gen MPC promo model came with a vinyl roof. I don't think the kits ever did. 

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

just picked up the AMT 70 1/2 Camaro kit. I seem to remember building a similar kit with a vinyl top. Does anyone know which kit that was?

The original AMT '70 Camaro annual had a vinyl top and a standard (non-RS) front end. I think the '71s were the same, don't know when they made the changes. 

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The early second gen MPC promo model came with a vinyl roof. I don't think the kits ever did. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The original AMT '70 Camaro annual had a vinyl top and a standard (non-RS) front end. I think the '71s were the same, don't know when they made the changes. 

The '70 AMT Camaro annual came with the vinyl top, the MPC kit didn't. 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

AMT's '70 kit didn't have the year on the box.  They sold it through 1971, they didn't bother doing a new box for it.  They handled their Corvette kits (coupe and roadster) the same way.

MPC's '70 Camaro "Super Hugger" likewise didn't have the year on the box.  It too had the standard front end.  For '71, they changed to the RS front end, and issued it as an annual kit in a different box.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Went to the NNL Philly show yesterday and picked up an AMT 64 Corvette roadster.  Complete and unpainted body.

20190310_075439.jpg.4e34219c25b6e860b0dae96609dcf710.jpg

SWEET! I envy you. I have two of those, both unpainted, but one's built with heavy glue damage in the windshield area and the other's NIB but has some vinyl tire damage on the body. 

That hardtop is a sweet bonus. It didn't come with that kit--it didn't appear until the '65 kit. It's probably from the Prestige reissue of the reworked '63. 

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

SWEET! I envy you. I have two of those, both unpainted, but one's built with heavy glue damage in the windshield area and the other's NIB but has some vinyl tire damage on the body. 

That hardtop is a sweet bonus. It didn't come with that kit--it didn't appear until the '65 kit. It's probably from the Prestige reissue of the reworked '63. 

Snake,

I was flabbergasted to find the 64 in such great condition and with the correct wheels for $35.  The top was sold by the same vendor in a separate package for $3.  My lucky day.

4 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Snake,

I was flabbergasted to find the 64 in such great condition and with the correct wheels for $35.  The top was sold by the same vendor in a separate package for $3.  My lucky day.

That is one of those rare bargains that can not be passed up. Very nice. 

On 3/6/2019 at 12:56 AM, RKO36 said:

890558_1%5B5%5D.jpg

I've begun my (sort of return - I built a few kits about 12 years ago without much success as a teen).  I bought this as my return kit.  I had no idea what to do last time I built a kit.  Now I have the power of YouTube and forums to help me.  I'm going to pick up essential supplies tomorrow or the next day.  I plan to give this a simple one color paint job (maybe a bit more) and add some custom decals (where/how to make them) with my company's logo, get a trailer, and a custom built load that we typically might haul.

Hey Anthony-  Welcome back to the hobby.   We have a club in New Jersey that meets in Perth Amboy on the second Saturday of each month.  Our next meeting is April 13 and you are welcome to come.  We have a couple of guys who build trucks too.  We also run a little show, which will be April 27th in Wayne, NJ.  

I make a lot of decals for my models so I'd be happy to teach you how to make inkjet decals or just make a set for your truck.   Feel free to message me. As you said there are a lot of resources these days, there's nothing like live people to answer questions in a  club setting!

Our club:   www.tssmcc.org    Our Show:  www.nnleast.com

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Snake,

As I said, fabulous score. Here's a couple pics of one of mine, in front of the box of the other one. Except for the glue damage on the windshield and its frame, the rest of the body is nice enough to just polish up in the white. Sigh. 

AMT64VetteRoadA01.jpg.369ec77757803707334c44184404d59c.jpg

AMT64VetteRoadA04.jpg.553b22c381d9122194d32933ea2eac60.jpg

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

As I said, fabulous score. Here's a couple pics of one of mine, in front of the box of the other one. Except for the glue damage on the windshield and its frame, the rest of the body is nice enough to just polish up in the white. Sigh. 

Thanks for posting the pictures Snake. I do have some glue marks where the mirrors and radio antenna were so will need to fill those and paint.

The supercharged Y-block (from the '63 Ford pickup) showed up in perfect shape, and the correct drive belt was included. :)

And a few minutes ago, I replaced another childhood promo, this time a red '63 Bonneville friction:

5c85be0a16c13_63Bonnevillepromo7.jpg.481a4dcfceabc7662f8be35e38269c9b.jpg

5c85be0756b3b_63Bonnevillepromo3.jpg.660268757d609c1a25cf27995db2e2eb.jpg

Like the '67 Chrysler 300 vert, it was cheap(ish) and has some issues - in this case kit wheels/tires in the rear and a kludged left taillight. My '63 convertible kit has the same issue :rolleyes:, so if anyone has a good rear bumper and left lens I can make a mold from...

7 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I finally got enough pieces to complete the partial kit I picked up years ago. Now I can put this one together.

IMG_1476-vi.jpg

I would love to see it put together and operating  with video .....only see one put together years ago !

7 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I finally got enough pieces to complete the partial kit I picked up years ago. Now I can put this one together.

IMG_1476-vi.jpg

Now, you just need this, to go with it! :-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-DANIEL-MONOGRAM-MATTEL-REVELL-SUPER-DIGGER-DRAGSTER-1970-MODEL-BOX-ART/223437479999?hash=item3405e9603f:g:sIcAAOSwFqJWpUVz

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...