Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

6 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

All I need ??

And I’ve been REALLY eager to build a little shop truck with the Foose F100 kit...I keep picking it up and playing with parts but I can’t quite allow myself to start something else and have MORE in-progress stuff cluttering up the place. ?

I do keep mocking stuff up though to amuse myself...

3EE9984E-0E94-420F-B9AE-C30C3416427D.thumb.jpeg.651e4eea487a02516fad4e30ffcb7ec4.jpeg

Many of us do this. Too many projects and ideas..

I just snatched this, the gorgeous '32 Ford five-window coupe. Gobs of great parts will be left over too, very handy stuff for other projects. I'll be building the full fendered version, as fenderless cars of this nature, are most definitely not my thing.

zT5Jni.jpg

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's pretty cool! 

Couple months ago I bought a glue bomb Monogram Chap 2D that I'm planning to build into a street version or tribute. It didn't come with wheels/tires so I've been looking for something suitable. (Also pondering a color scheme for it. White's such a cliche, but anything else seems just wrong.) 

This guy has several sets for sale. They came in the original blister packs. Total cost for the sets (2 front, 2 rear) with shipping was $20.88. If you want to take some Wright's Silver Cream to them, they'd look exactly like polished, uh...magnesium! ?

On 4/12/2020 at 3:47 PM, TooOld said:

In the early 80's I worked at my brother-in-laws body shop and we built a '74 MK IV as a shop project , a Hot Rod Lincoln type of car .  I just got this resin kit and am planning to build a scale version of it ! :D

000 0001

Sounds like a cool project, Bob. If I may ask, where did you get the MK IV at?

On 4/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, Snake45 said:

I didn't find it to be particularly fragile. The bumpers/grilles I used it on held up well to normal handling and black-washing and so forth. 

I'd like to try Spaz-Stix but it's not in my area and it's expensive. Krylon foil is available at Hobby Lobby and the price isn't horrible. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. 

I found the Spaz Stix I used to paint one of my scratch built antique travel trailers at a hobby shop that stocks it for painting the inside of clear RC car bodys. Of course those shops are closed now as they are considered non-essential businesses but you might find a mail order source. If you do acquire some, Don't clear coat it!! I did that and it killed the shine. Evidently the alignment of the paint particles at the surface is what produces the chrome look and adding a clear coat dissolves that outer reflective layer and it looks like aluminum.I made that mistake myself and had to sand and repaint. Good luck with your project.

Edited by misterNNL
Kindle thinks it knows what I need to say

On 4/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, TooOld said:

In the early 80's I worked at my brother-in-laws body shop and we built a '74 MK IV as a shop project , a Hot Rod Lincoln type of car .  I just got this resin kit and am planning to build a scale version of it ! :D

000 0001

Also bought these two '66 Chevy Panel Vans 'cause they were priced really cheap , not sure what I'll do with them .

000 0004

Those resins are SWEET...!

Got something from Redding that a bunch of folks on here said that they certainly would buy when it became available, but I may be the only one to actually buy one. I don't see myself doing a full on Mr. Obsessive or Guthmiller on this because the donor chassis and engine compartment needs too much work to be accurate.

IMG_20200415_163547.jpg

8 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

That’s such a cool piece and beautifully done. Someday when I happen to be on eBay when Paul has one listed, I would like to get one.

He lists every other Sunday. Follow him as a seller and you can see when he lists his kits. He just started listing the 64 Colony Park which I have little interest in.

This is a nice kit that nails the shape of the 1:1 IMHO, but nobody will ever mistake it for styrene. You can see this in the eBay photos of all of his kits. Castings are kind of thick, but the visible surfaces are flawless.

Not sure how hard I am going to work on correcting the kit chassis to resemble a wagon chassis. 

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

He lists every other Sunday. Follow him as a seller and you can see when he lists his kits. He just started listing the 64 Colony Park which I have little interest in.

This is a nice kit that nails the shape of the 1:1 IMHO, but nobody will ever mistake it for styrene. You can see this in the eBay photos of all of his kits. Castings are kind of thick, but the visible surfaces are flawless.

Not sure how hard I am going to work on correcting the kit chassis to resemble a wagon chassis. 

Can you supply a link to his listings and a  name he lists under?

17 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The mail carrier just dropped this off, within the last few minutes. A kit I've been wanting ever since I first saw it, either at a local hobby shop or in an Auto World catalog back in the 70's. 

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

Good for you Scott, I have the Sedan but looked for this myself for years.  Could years ago I found a built up for 10 bucks at NNL east,  I plan on cutting it up into a street rod anyway.  It is a good looking kit, remember to post pictures of the build.  Awesome!

20 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The mail carrier just dropped this off, within the last few minutes. A kit I've been wanting ever since I first saw it, either at a local hobby shop or in an Auto World catalog back in the 70's. 

The sadly late Harry P. gave those Entex '37 Packard kits rave reviews.  As I remember, he said they went together pretty easily and looked fantastic.

I wanted both of them for a long time myself. A couple of years ago at a kit swap meet, a seller had the Packard Formal Sedan still shrink-wrapped for $40. I jumped right on that.  Another seller had the Coupe Roadster.  He was asking $75 firm but that was more than I wanted to pay. 

The Entex 1/16 scale Model T trucks are nice kits too.  Wish we could get a re-issue of those and the Packards.  The old Entex Model A 1/16 kits have been re-popped many times over the years, but not the others AFAIK.

In today's mail, I got these two.

I've heard and seen online mixed things about AMT's Porsche 928. But I like the real life car and the price was right.

The second thing is something I've been looking for for a while now. These were little toy cars you use to a lot of back to the 60's. Most of the time they were sold in dime stores and grocery stores in bags like you see in the photos. I also use to se them advertised in comic books. They were made by a company called MPC. Yet they were not related to the model company with same initials. They are very small. And mainly on the rear deck, they have the name of the car molded in raised letters. If there is a '61 Mercury Comet in this bag, it will be identified as an Edsel Comet. And if there is an Alfa Romeo. It will say it's an Alpha Romeo on its deck. But in general the rest will not have those mistakes. And generally look like the cars they portray.  The only sin beyond that, is my plans for opening the bag. I bought then to enjoy the cars inside. Not just have an untouched bag. I will carefully open the bag to do as little damage to it as possible. But, still I will be opening it. 

IMG_3843.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3845.JPG

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...