Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 7/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, Snake45 said:

Scored a "Tom Daniel California Vette." Seems to be complete and fairly cleanly built. I bought one of these missing a few parts and with some glue damage at the local toy show last year. Hoping I'll now have enough stuff to get one together absolutely OOB, and one with a few mods to put my own "flava" on it (i.e., un-Daniel it a little bit). 

Got it today. Here it is with the glue bomb. The new one is fairly cleanly built, missing only the front and rear nerf bars and the rear license plate. The GB is missing wheels, tires, side pipes, rocker trim, and the glass and rear louvers are roached, BUT it has the nerf bars and license plate, so it looks like game on! 

Actually I'm thinking about seeing if that blue paint will take a polish. If so, I might just leave it alone as a survivor while I get a few other projects out of the way. I can do a full rebuild on it later. 

BTW, I have a grand total of about $50, including shipping, in BOTH of these. Not horrible. 

ATDVettes01.jpg.f725df30e40f835ed112db3e3f0cb3ac.jpg

ATDVettes07.jpg.5a1c4b6edc9f4676da219738c88cc73e.jpg

ATDVettes05.jpg.eb6443d059e68df84d29f4b2def12696.jpg

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

...BTW, I have a grand total of about $50, including shipping, in BOTH of these. Not horrible. 

Those TD Tobettes look like they could be the basis of a good looking custom treatment of that body style.

What scale are they, and do they share any tooling with anything else?

I kinda disliked the real ones for a long time, 'cause driving one is much like driving a poorly built kit-car on a truck chassis, but they're starting to grow on me again.

Just missed a real one, only slightly broken, for $1500.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Those TD Tobettes look like they could be the basis of a good looking custom treatment of that body style.

What scale are they, and do they share any tooling with anything else?

I kinda disliked the real ones for a long time, 'cause driving one is much like driving a poorly built kit-car on a truck chassis, but they're starting to grow on me again.

Just missed a real one, only slightly broken, for $1500.

They're 1/24. Might share the chassis with the later '65, and I think I've heard that the body eventually became the '78 and so on, which is why the TD Vette hasn't been reissued in decades. 

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

They're 1/24. Might share the chassis with the later '65, and I think I've heard that the body eventually became the '78 and so on, which is why the TD Vette hasn't been reissued in decades. 

It would make sense that the chassis and body, etc would have evolved into the '78, since I don't think Monogram had a stock C3 before the '78?    I have a glue bomb TD Corvette in a parts box somewhere..

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Hey Snake, this engine look familiar?

1965 Chevy Corvette Street Machine "Black Rat" (1/24) (fs)

The rest of the chassis is from the TD kit too.

That is great issue, 68 I think. Has full wagon top and interior. Also pickup cab and plow, and a light bar. Stock v6.

Can use reissue pickup side panels instead of full ones that aren’t in kit anymore rather than cutting up the long wagon panels. 

Convertible stuff only in 69 issue with up top, boot, short rear deck, Continental spare. Wish they’d find that part of tool. 

15 minutes ago, keyser said:

Can use reissue pickup side panels instead of full ones that aren’t in kit anymore rather than cutting up the long wagon panels. 

Don’t cut those long side panels! They were only in the first issue or two! I have a few later issues. I would love to have the full hardtop, but I do have the soft top etc.

The pickup bed area is lacking details, like the bed ribs and the side walls.  

Olsen Brothers make some parts for these, including that long hardtop and long side panels. 

I’m working on a pair of Jeepsters right now. I do love the kit!

Edited by Tom Geiger

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Don’t cut those long side panels! They were only in the first issue or two! I have a few later issues. I would love to have the full hardtop, but I do have the soft top etc.

The pickup bed area is lacking details, like the bed ribs and the side walls.  

Olsen Brothers make some parts for these, including that long hardtop and long side panels. 

I’m working on a pair of Jeepsters right now. I do love the kit!

Exactly. The 68 as shown, the 69 with the "roadster" on cover (with surfboard, SOHC Ford) for sure. I have a 70 with the hunting seats and weapons, but it's not at hand and I can't recall if it had full side panels or full top. Roadster parts gone, I'll try to dig it out if Mark doesn't comment. 

7 hours ago, keyser said:

Exactly. The 68 as shown, the 69 with the "roadster" on cover (with surfboard, SOHC Ford) for sure. I have a 70 with the hunting seats and weapons, but it's not at hand and I can't recall if it had full side panels or full top. Roadster parts gone, I'll try to dig it out if Mark doesn't comment. 

Your '70 "Safari" version Jeepster has the short side panels.  I have one on the Shelf Of Doom that I fool with off and on and those panels annoy me.

As others have said, do NOT cut any long side panels!  They're incredibly hard to find.  At a kit swap meet this year (pre-epidemic), I bought a box stuffed full of MPC Jeepster parts, old and new.  It had 2 of the clear full roofs, a couple of the short roofs and some of the short side panels.  But NONE of the long panels.  

Edited by Mike999
goof

9 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Your '70 "Safari" version Jeepster has the short side panels.  I have one on the Shelf Of Doom that I fool with off and on and those panels annoy me.

As others have said, do NOT cut any long side panels!  They're incredibly hard to find.  At a kit swap meet this year (pre-epidemic), I bought a box stuffed full of MPC Jeepster parts, old and new.  It had 2 of the clear full roofs, a couple of the short roofs and some of the short side panels.  But NONE of the long panels.  

To clarify, what are these 'side panels' ?    I have the reissue '73 Jeepster, but none of the earlier ones. 

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

To clarify, what are these 'side panels' ?    I have the reissue '73 Jeepster, but none of the earlier ones. 

The interior side panels.  Here's a photo from an old Tom Geiger post.  The panel on top is the full size, which was only in the original issue of the Jeepster IIRC.  The bottom panel is the one in every re-issue since.

jeepster_panels.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike999 said:

The interior side panels.  Here's a photo from an old Tom Geiger post.  The panel on top is the full size, which was only in the original issue of the Jeepster IIRC.  The bottom panel is the one in every re-issue since.

jeepster_panels.jpg

Ah, I figured that was what they were. .wasn't sure.  I see..so the original had longer panels so a version w/ a back seat could be done, and the shorter panels were for use w/ the truck half-top?   Interesting. 

0EF92CAC-9DB2-4C1E-8AF0-E7751E281A9A.thumb.jpeg.4000f427962c94cee83b790c7761f1b8.jpeg

Others beat me to it but as said the panels were short in the safari version, which was molded in yellow. Note that they still left the rear seat trim that wouldn’t be there on the pickup so I sanded it off on the red ones I’m using in my build. 

Rob already posted my older photos showing the two different side panels. I agree that only the first issue had the longer panels. I believe they shortened them for the pickup version.. Kelson, what is in the box with the plow?

9B55CD3F-C672-495D-8E19-FA49A96671B7.thumb.jpeg.01b38fd18bf012e551d4110648fa68a3.jpeg

Here’s how the pickup version goes together..  an old built up of the later nose Commando

BTW, I still need one right side long panel.. the original kit I bought eons ago was missing it so it’s sat ever since!

Edited by Tom Geiger

AD7DBB2F-6F14-46AD-A43C-1C09C7082BD2.thumb.jpeg.65db2fbe0f6b898bbb1b27505833a71f.jpeg

And here’s the poor fit of the bed. The real truck has a ribbed bed and inner side panels. There are big gaps between floor/ wheel wells and inside of body. I made and fit in panels. 

Also, the bed does not dip down to floor level like the kit here. Flat floor with ribs!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Kelson, what is in the box with the plow?

I'm not Kelson, but I have an original "Commando" kit with the plow.  I just checked.  It has BOTH sets of side panels, long and short.  The instructions call the short one the "broken panel."  The kit's inner bag is still sealed and I don't want to open it.  I saw the long panels.  So I'll take the instructions at their word that both sets of panels are in there.

I also checked a '71 "Mild and Wild" Jeepster.  It only has the short panels, so it looks like the long ones were gone by 1971.  The "Mild and Wild" version also has all the parts for the "Safari" version in the box:  hunting seats, etc. But it does not have the decals for that version.

BTW, I'm not Rob Hall, either. ?

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

I also checked a '71 "Mild and Wild" Jeepster.  It only has the short panels, so it looks like the long ones were gone by 1971.  

BTW, I'm not Rob Hall, either. ?

Interesting they had both long and chopped panels at same time!  And now we know where it ended.  

I have the Mild and Wild, as well as the Safari versions. As well as two earlier, just not the plow version.

I know you’re not Rob, I had dinner with him at NNL Nats last fall!  ?

Full panels in 68 Commando and 69 Roadster kits. 
I’d forgotten the 68 had both panels. 
The 69 I’ll check. 
72 Big grille annual was last issue with full roof, but like Mike said, the 70-71 had short panels only. 72 and on as well. 

On 7/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, Snake45 said:

Got it today. Here it is with the glue bomb. The new one is fairly cleanly built, missing only the front and rear nerf bars and the rear license plate. The GB is missing wheels, tires, side pipes, rocker trim, and the glass and rear louvers are roached, BUT it has the nerf bars and license plate, so it looks like game on! 

Actually I'm thinking about seeing if that blue paint will take a polish. If so, I might just leave it alone as a survivor while I get a few other projects out of the way. I can do a full rebuild on it later. 

BTW, I have a grand total of about $50, including shipping, in BOTH of these. Not horrible. 

ATDVettes01.jpg.f725df30e40f835ed112db3e3f0cb3ac.jpg

ATDVettes07.jpg.5a1c4b6edc9f4676da219738c88cc73e.jpg

ATDVettes05.jpg.eb6443d059e68df84d29f4b2def12696.jpg

One of these days I would really like to score one of these for a decent price

20 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I couldn't resist. 

That Red Flag limo was one of the first Trumpeter kits I ever saw.  Yours appears to be in a different company's box. Or Trumpeter using a different name,  not unusual for China.  Many of the earliest Trumpeter armor kits were also sold under different company labels.  

As you will see, the limo is a weird mix of neat details (real red cloth carpet) and toy-like clunkiness.  In the one I had, the "Red Flag" emblems on the front fenders were pre-painted. A nice touch, but would have needed careful masking if you wanted to paint the body.  I finally decided I'd never build it, and sold it on eBay.

If you like that one, there's also another version of the kit.  It has an open rear sunroof with microphones.  So that Dear Leader can rant at the adoring masses, I guess.    

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...