Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
CaseyG83

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, drodg said:

I am in Valparaiso also.  That was a great hobby shop.

I really like it here, from what I’ve seen so far!  We’re off Vale Park Road so pretty close to the Hobby Lobby and Michael’s...I’d be interested to hear of any other good local spots to check out!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Me too - got the above '55 and the '65 Fairlane today on special at HL, plus I picked up this little tray box:

IMG_0284.JPG.bea4c7ca917b4905151f04619a01b46a.JPG

The smaller compartments in the top tray are about 1 5/16" x 2 3/4" x 5/8" deep, perfect for pouring molds for small parts. The left compartment is about double that width; plenty of room for a set of wheelcovers. The bottom compartments are about 1 1/2" x 4" by 1 1/2 deep, enough for bumper/grille molds; only $3-something with the coupon.:)

Chris, did you find that in art supplies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drodg said:

I am in Valparaiso also.  That was a great hobby shop.

I brought a bunch of kool kits and paint when I was up there. I like Valparaiso..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rodent said:

I was just at my closest HL and I am not sure what is going on with their cases This is what is currently on the shelf, along with a very few of the older style. "Entrust Collecting" purports to be in OK City, so maybe HL has launched their own label. Didn't see any mirrored bottom cases.

One of the other stores had all of their cases together, like the big wood and glass ones plus the model-sized ones.

 

 

_8fMR7FsXljzulBj7QpEX_bK1qfNTiN-Vwf3Kx2wO8uWL-r7FNXPv4rlvkYMgC1NyOA5Ki8mmSkTMKb0fMmxGSOKwgmGUQPeupcdp8VsBvKrH0Cg5ojcn8vS9hhOCTeHr7TGdqeLH686ivMchWBDubjpizUc0X0BDhGe3riYGQgDNGpUQO7CEZtqGYuL0F5GYiNUc8-mD17BJSWKtVJjQDevVWHxGFaYIM1VgzlUfQdj3tEvTQcqEOgBhCe4kAbRn7hDxaeISedKdEYriWkf79rzbbIigsaYxY5us23FzNAo9WKUxMWP8djo4_2wdFMs2A0kbhe3qp6w48OL6OD7C6n_NfwqbRS-0g9cfF33WRZRSn6dqllcjs3YeAU-5KQJ3GlfBYGOQMg5qWUhxkTTW7TD3508ophxNLgHnDxb-K-FIjO4v54UBZDUcDcu_GvIR5oT3Nd82hwvTszhzZiCZyQdJeTHjBSzb84btyAe-D2bU5VbBxXheWxI1qLOh9zePrQ4dJ4RNKk9Sp8M3CyW1oNhA15x-eI1CaKTPR41IBxpx1d0SMxZpyQ_p-bFkcJGsS8ouMzohOao6q5Pf0oRTq6Y0pZUlHKSvGYP8M9ssKGaMreSV3j6-OwDaLRMlfUN1q-ywZHVxHaLZkUnDJpM6E7vaDd5AS-yRusLnUvP37ZT1Tp493wMMLjbTHJ3Qw=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

I'm not sure what's going on with their cases, but the store here was almost completely out them a few weeks ago, and about the time the new kits started to show up, so did the new display cases. They look like the same ones they've had before, but they're in new boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, slusher said:

Chris, did you find that in art supplies?

I think so, or adjacent to them - it was on a rack on the wall with various other similar boxes, near the T-shirts; this size fits inside the pressure pot I have.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I really like it here, from what I’ve seen so far!  We’re off Vale Park Road so pretty close to the Hobby Lobby and Michael’s...I’d be interested to hear of any other good local spots to check out!  

Jim, it's a bit of a drive from Valpo, but if you're heading west you owe it to yourself to check out G&G Hobbies in downtown Griffith.  Old school hobby shop that's been there forever.  Best part is that almost the entire east side of the store is model kits, mostly automotive.

They're the only local brick and mortar location I know of that carries Moebius, and they also have everything from Round 2 and Revell, so it's the place to go for any of the kits that HL decides not to stock.  Very competitive prices too.

Unfortunately, like the rest of the country, all the other local "old school" hobby shops have slowly withered and died off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Did some painting for a friend  so had some cash to go to Hobby Lobby and get these.

s-l640.jpg

20200825_185548.jpg

You're going to enjoy building the Land Rover, it's a nice kit to put together,  I'm hoping those AMT Belvederes make it to this side of the pond....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 2:27 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Skyline is the only modern kit I have where the front wings are separate pieces, I presume that's so they can spin-off different versions. I was keen to get one as I have a long run of 4-door Skylines.

Yes having the front clip be separate has allowed them of offer that 2001 spec version, along with an earlier pre-refresh 1998, and also the URAS Type R body kit variant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

You're going to enjoy building the Land Rover, it's a nice kit to put together,  I'm hoping those AMT Belvederes make it to this side of the pond....

What i dont understand is why Round2 dropped Lindberg and put their kits under the AMT banner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Jim, it's a bit of a drive from Valpo, but if you're heading west you owe it to yourself to check out G&G Hobbies in downtown Griffith.

Looks like we drove right by it at the weekend - had no idea!  Added that to the list too! 😂👍🏻  Thanks buddy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I really like it here, from what I’ve seen so far!  We’re off Vale Park Road so pretty close to the Hobby Lobby and Michael’s...I’d be interested to hear of any other good local spots to check out!  

I was born here and basically raised here.  My parents might argue with the fact of how much I grew up. Lol   I love our restaurants downtown and they are all locally owned and even with Covid a treat to go to.   Great community but I am biased.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Looks like we drove right by it at the weekend - had no idea!  Added that to the list too! 😂👍🏻  Thanks buddy!

Thanks I didn't know about the hobby shop in Griffith.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

What i dont understand is why Round2 dropped Lindberg and put their kits under the AMT banner.

I asked the very same question on FB about two years ago. The response was the requisite and expected corporate doublespeak:

Quote

Me:

I love AMT. I also love Lindberg and Hawk. I've been buying and building all three brands for over 50 years. That said, why did Round2 go to to the trouble of acquiring them, proudly proclaim their return, then proceed to gut both lines of their more "marketable" kits like the Dodges/Belvederes, '53 Fords and the '61 Impalas by transferring them the AMT label? I've noticed the same with kits formerly produced by MPC. Attempting to expand one brand at the expense of others?

Quote
We have received some inquiries regarding why certain Lindberg kits are being re-branded as AMT kits. A lot of it has to do with George Toteff and the history of AMT, MPC and Lindberg. George was the man who devised the complex sliding tool design that allowed model car bodies to be molded in one piece. He did this while employed at AMT during the company's early years. Toteff later founded MPC, another historic model kit brand currently under the stewardship of Round 2. If that combined history weren’t enough, George was also responsible in large part for the “Lindberg revival” in the early 1990s. Toteff was the head of Craft House, Lindberg’s parent company at the time. In a move that was very reminiscent of something he did with MPC, Toteff developed quite a number of highly detailed, but slightly larger new model kits. These were in 1/20 scale as opposed to the “standard” 1/25 scale kits. The revival at Lindberg did continue though, with several more exceptionally well-engineered 1/25 model car kits which strongly hinted at the past connection with the AMT and MPC brands. As AMT is strongest and most recognizable model kit brand, Round 2 felt it would be acceptable and prudent to re-brand certain Lindberg car and truck kits as AMT products, in consideration of the strength the brand brings to the hobby with its history specializing in car and truck kits. George’s multi-decade involvement across all the involved brands ties them all together - many of those Lindberg kits probably would have been developed at AMT, if history had gone a little differently!

This is a hoot:

Quote

many of those Lindberg kits probably would have been developed at AMT, if history had gone a little differently!

Well, they weren't; so, why bother making such an inane statement in the first place.

Ask a simple question and receive a dog and pony show in return. What the hell does George Toteff and sliding tool technology have to do with what I asked?!?

Just another example of how these guys think that we're nothing more than jelly-brained idiots who'll believe them just because they said so. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all bad things i have read about these 2 kits and already experienced Revell's T600 aerodyne i got these 2.
Already know that it is not going to be easy to build either of them
Cant wait to find out what disasters awaits me with them😉😂
1680863778_amtkenwortht600.jpg.bff6f2da7b6a12fc739eddbcb5f77caa.jpg
Revell-7531-Kenworth-T-600-Big-Sleeper-125.jpg.37f34bb8c66d98f1d956453dcf36c861.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

After all bad things i have read about these 2 kits and already experienced Revell's T600 aerodyne i got these 2.
Already know that it is not going to be easy to build either of them
Cant wait to find out what disasters awaits me with them😉😂
1680863778_amtkenwortht600.jpg.bff6f2da7b6a12fc739eddbcb5f77caa.jpg
Revell-7531-Kenworth-T-600-Big-Sleeper-125.jpg.37f34bb8c66d98f1d956453dcf36c861.jpg

The AMT kit is a train wreck, I have the revell version also, but have not attempted that one yet.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mailman brought me 18 bottles of Tru-Color paint from IPMS.  Lots of spoons to prime tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The three newest decal sets from Racing Decals 43.

20200826_071643.thumb.jpg.a491494cd26c9b351e6bb41f18673cb3.jpg

Where did you get these especially the Mustang decals ,i saw a seller on ebay who has them,but converting his price to canadian dollars it was $55 dollars with shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kelson said:

Where did you get these especially the Mustang decals ,i saw a seller on ebay who has them,but converting his price to canadian dollars it was $55 dollars with shipping.

Directly. 

http://www.racingdecals43.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Hobby Lobby for the first time in ages yesterday. They had a lotta new stuff that I didn't know about (I haven't been keeping up-to-date on kit releases). Picked up a Willys gasser and a '64 Belvedere.

 

20200825_154503.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Just another example of how these guys think that we're nothing more than jelly-brained idiots who'll believe them just because they said so. 🙄

True.  But I liked this part, also totally irrelevant to your question:  "In a move that was very reminiscent of something he did with MPC, Toteff developed quite a number of highly detailed, but slightly larger new model kits. These were in 1/20 scale as opposed to the “standard” 1/25 scale kits."

Something he did with MPC and Lindberg that was a total flop.  Just curious, and I think some people on this board knew Toteff personally:  why did Toteff have that weird obsession with 1/20 scale?   I read somewhere, IIRC, that he thought it made kits easier to assemble for younger/newer modelers.  But that paled beside the obvious fact that 1/20 kits were bigger than anything else on your display shelf, and often just looked clunkier, IMO. And the ones I've seen don't exactly qualify as "highly detailed."

They sure weren't bigger sellers on the hobby shop shelves, which explains why we've been buying them at giveaway prices for a couple of decades.  In 1/25 scale some of those kits would have sold like crazy, like the MPC AMX's and the Lindberg Ford Explorers.  On eBay right now, some optimist is flogging a Lindberg 1/20 scale Explorer for $35 plus $15 shipping.  Bet he bought it at Ollie's for $7.99 plus $0 shipping.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, Jack L said:

side trim is 62, if the 65 grille does not work let me know and I have a 63 grille if you need it 

 

On 8/17/2020 at 3:13 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

They always have those pyramid-shaped custom taillights, don't they? Let me know if you need the stock bezels; I've cast up a few sets. Just hit them with your Molotow pen BMF silver Sharpie, add a little piece of clear red for the lens, and done. The front wheelcovers are from the '61/'62 Buick Special wagon; good trading material if you can cut off the tire melt. 

Got the Nova grille and taillights in the mail yesterday, THANKS SO MUCH to Jack L and ChrisBCritter, my New Best Friends! I'll be driving on with this project in the very near future thanks to these two GOOD GUYS! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

went to HL in Indiana, they JUST got in the Land Rover (only one) & the 69 Yenko, 40% off... they now reside with me...passed on the 64 Plymouth.

would the LR make a good Lowrider or Rat Rod? we will see.....

69 yenko.jpg

lrIII.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

True.  But I liked this part, also totally irrelevant to your question:  "In a move that was very reminiscent of something he did with MPC, Toteff developed quite a number of highly detailed, but slightly larger new model kits. These were in 1/20 scale as opposed to the “standard” 1/25 scale kits."

Something he did with MPC and Lindberg that was a total flop.  Just curious, and I think some people on this board knew Toteff personally:  why did Toteff have that weird obsession with 1/20 scale?   I read somewhere, IIRC, that he thought it made kits easier to assemble for younger/newer modelers.  But that paled beside the obvious fact that 1/20 kits were bigger than anything else on your display shelf, and often just looked clunkier, IMO. And the ones I've seen don't exactly qualify as "highly detailed."

They sure weren't bigger sellers on the hobby shop shelves, which explains why we've been buying them at giveaway prices for a couple of decades.  In 1/25 scale some of those kits would have sold like crazy, like the MPC AMX's and the Lindberg Ford Explorers.  On eBay right now, some optimist is flogging a Lindberg 1/20 scale Explorer for $35 plus $15 shipping.  Bet he bought it at Ollie's for $7.99 plus $0 shipping.   

FWIW I don't believe any of those 1/20 scale kits ever saw a reissue after their initial runs by the 1990s Craft House Lindberg. Don't think the J. Lloyd folks ever did any of them, so they wouldn't have ever been at Ollies. Now Round2 has reissued a couple of them since they took possession of the Lindberg tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...