Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

56 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd think they wouldn't be that much of an issue to quantity-over-quality builders though...

Even lowly quantity-over-quality builders have SOME standards, however low. And, we are still buildersB):lol:

By the way--Well played! B)

21 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

This is one of those kits that I didn't know existed, but always thought the subject was cool, and eBay is a magnet for disposable income, and yes I have a slight hoarding sin.  Lamborghini Cheetah, it was a prototype, only one left in existence.  There were 3 for sale at the time, the top was $300!  The box bottom is damaged, instructions are missing, the price was dropped twice so I sprang for it, "saved" (look honey!) almost 72%.  It's a simple kit, could figure out 95% of the parts.  Motorized, which will be "fixed" with a Hellcat engine, need to figure out a transmission.  Nice Mickey Thompson - Baja Kino tires, 4 gas cans.  Will ditch the stupid tiger stripes, but has Cibie light covers.  The decals don't have the Lambo badge, but I have nice ones.  Winch needs a chain, and a hook, the Fireball resin winch has lots of hooks.  That's the plan (y'all know how this goes).

IMG_0179.thumb.jpg.623da8e8c0fe97347d638f367f585433.jpg
IMG_0181.thumb.jpg.952558326c475ee103456292190b2993.jpg
IMG_0180.thumb.jpg.da9aa96b347ae060d8e658086c9c5c81.jpg

Never seen before myself.  If you have a build post I will be watching!

Flea Market Day!  Found a cheap Revell '49 Mercury custom, with the chopped top. Open but all inner bags still sealed.  I didn't have that kit and would like to build a "work in progress" custom with weld/cut lines on the roof, etc.

And even cheaper, a Revell "der Guber Wagen" snack car.  One of their many VW-powered, Model T C-cab thingies.  It's the "Young Model Builders Club" version that came in a mailing box.  Missing the instructions and decals.  It has 2-piece tires, and one-half of a rear slick and a front tire are also MIA.  Looks like all the plastic parts are there. The chrome tree is untouched but the plating is wearing off, not unusual for kits this old.

I have the insane idea of using der Guber Wagen's body with an AMT '23 T van, to build a stock snack or delivery wagon.  But these kits go for pretty big bucks on eBay, so I might sell it.  

EDIT:  other kits spotted at today's flea market:

--Revell '48 Ford Woody, partly built, possibly missing parts.  Seller wanted $10. Not even worth negotiating for parts, IMO.  Sealed '48 Woody kits don't go for much more on eBay.

--Monogram Space Buggy, 1969:  glue-bombed, partly painted and decaled (badly) and the box was half-eaten by rats or something.  IIRC, this was originally the "Willy Ley Space Taxi," until Monogram lost its Willy Ley license.

--Several AMT and Revell NASCAR kits, some sealed and some open.  The seller was asking $15 each and his price was firm.  Optimist.

Edited by Mike999
omit2

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Flea Market Day!  Found a cheap Revell '49 Mercury custom, with the chopped top. Open but all inner bags still sealed.  I didn't have that kit and would like to build a "work in progress" custom with weld/cut lines on the roof, etc.

And even cheaper, a Revell "der Guber Wagen" snack car.  One of their many VW-powered, Model T C-cab thingies.  It's the "Young Model Builders Club" version that came in a mailing box.  Missing the instructions and decals.  It has 2-piece tires, and one-half of a rear slick and a front tire are also MIA.  Looks like all the plastic parts are there. The chrome tree is untouched but the plating is wearing off, not unusual for kits this old.

I have the insane idea of using der Guber Wagen's body with an AMT '23 T van, to build a stock snack or delivery wagon.  But these kits go for pretty big bucks on eBay, so I might sell it.  

EDIT:  other kits spotted at today's flea market:

--Revell '48 Ford Woody, partly built, possibly missing parts.  Seller wanted $10. Not even worth negotiating for parts, IMO.  Sealed '48 Woody kits don't go for much more on eBay.

--Monogram Space Buggy, 1969:  glue-bombed, partly painted and decaled (badly) and the box was half-eaten by rats or something.  IIRC, this was originally the "Willy Ley Space Taxi," until Monogram lost its Willy Ley license.

--Several AMT and Revell NASCAR kits, some sealed and some open.  The seller was asking $15 each and his price was firm.  Optimist.

“der Gruber Wagon”? By Revell? I’m familiar with this kit. And I found nothing on it in a web search. You have my curiously on this one. What is it?   

6 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

“der Gruber Wagon”? By Revell? I’m familiar with this kit. And I found nothing on it in a web search. You have my curiously on this one. What is it?   

It's this thing right here!  Released about 1970, I think.  If you go to eBay "Completed Items" and search for "der Guber Wagen," a couple of them will come up.  None are for sale on eBay right now.

Here's the box art, and a random build-up I found on the Internet:

guberwagen.jpg

guberwagen2.jpg

9 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

You spelled it wrong.

Very desirable kit in showcar circles. I'd love to have one of those in my stash.

Der Guber Wagen, Revell H-1338 (1973)

40 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

You spelled it wrong.

Very desirable kit in showcar circles. I'd love to have one of those in my stash.

:D

Correct.

A "guber" is a peanut.

A Gruber is a professor of economics from Massachusetts who brought us Obama Care.

I prefer the legume. <_<

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Not if you have preexisting condition you don’t, says someone who pays $3400/mo for insurance. Leukemia/bone marrow transplant and wife 9y out froM stage 4 cancer says otherwise. 
But sick people are drain. 
Someday perspective will set in. 
Enough politics Steve

L

27 minutes ago, keyser said:

Not if you have preexisting condition you don’t, says someone who pays $3400/mo for insurance. Leukemia/bone marrow transplant and wife 9y out froM stage 4 cancer says otherwise. 
But sick people are drain. 
Someday perspective will set in. 
Enough politics Steve

L

Ever heard of a joke? <_<

32 minutes ago, keyser said:

The spaceship one is in back. Can’t remember name. Mixer was Apollo orbiter

Space taxi below

cool finds

I didn't buy the Space Buggy.  It was in really bad shape.  I got really excited when I saw an AMT 1961 kit box on one seller's table.  But...the box was empty.  The seller wanted $10.00 for the empty, and pretty well-worn, box.  I didn't buy that either.  

Edited by Mike999
goof

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ever heard of a joke? <_<

Not about that, no not really. Medical bankruptcy isn’t really a knee slapper for anyone. We’re fortunate to have wherewithal to pay an outrageous sum for coverage. Many on this board are not. 
Whomever thought it was funny, enjoy your health while you have it. 
Be well all y’all 

Some wonderful additions to my collection. Both designed by one of greatest guys out there, Tom Daniel. 

First is the Monogram kit the Li'l Van. I've always wanted a model of T.D.'s Sand Crab. I've had no luck running one of those down. I guess after all of these years, the Li'l Van is as close as I'll can get. This is a re-pop from 1996. 

The book, Tom Daniel's, How To Draw & Design Cars, The "Old School" Way, is brand new. It was just published this year. And the book is exactly what it says. A very detailed guide on how to draw cars. Some of you may recall the 1960 book, You Can Draw Cars, by Bill Jenks. Auto World sold copies for years. (I got mine back in 1971 or '72.) It's vey similar. It's just bigger in overall size, and has the kool artwork of Tom Daniel, instead of the kool artwork by Bill Jenks. Plus after 60 years, Jenks book is getting a little hard to find. And, a few things have changed in both style, and techniques in those 60 years. I'm excited to see that Tom Daniel noted on his cover, that his new book is "Volume 1". That's good news. Even with both his and Jenks' books I may never become the automotive designer I always wanted to be (I have no drawing talent what so ever), I love these books. And look forward to Volume 2, just to sit and drool over Tom Daniel's great artwork. 

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

It's this thing right here!  Released about 1970, I think.  If you go to eBay "Completed Items" and search for "der Guber Wagen," a couple of them will come up.  None are for sale on eBay right now.

Here's the box art, and a random build-up I found on the Internet:

guberwagen.jpg

guberwagen2.jpg

I remember the kit, after seeing the above photos. And you guys are right, I must have put in the wrong spelling, since I could not find anything about it on the web. 

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Not about that, no not really. Medical bankruptcy isn’t really a knee slapper for anyone. We’re fortunate to have wherewithal to pay an outrageous sum for coverage. Many on this board are not. 
Whomever thought it was funny, enjoy your health while you have it. 
Be well all y’all 

Okay.

Not going to argue with you, but I'm also not going to play the "political correctness game" and walk on egg shells in fear of offending someone with every comment.

If you're offended, it'll just have to be that way.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...