Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

52 minutes ago, blunc said:

after a little consideration, I may add a small accumulator to this if the pump pulses cause painting issues.

I have a similar one. The compressor casing is different but the rest looks identical. 

I don't use it a lot but mine works smoothly with no "pulsing". 

The thing I found is that it doesn't hold a charge long enough for me to paint a body and clean it too. I usually have to plug the charger in to finish cleaning. Although, that may just be me taking too long. 

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I have a similar one. The compressor casing is different but the rest looks identical. 

I don't use it a lot but mine works smoothly with no "pulsing". 

The thing I found is that it doesn't hold a charge long enough for me to paint a body and clean it too. I usually have to plug the charger in to finish cleaning. Although, that may just be me taking too long. 

I ordered mine with an extra battery

Saw this on eBay for under $5, so it ended up coming home with me:

1E36BE68-381F-49F3-B217-A1B473D81F17.thumb.jpeg.418aab442f299b2eade7305a1542ed5a.jpeg

Might drop over a Revell 29 frame and running gear easily (or, more likely, end up with a scratchbuilt frame and all that entails)

Plus, 50ft of wire for general detailing purposes:

A420DC3B-C506-4FAE-9483-1BF6F943798F.thumb.jpeg.8cb9a78b22eb91f1770b536f7b0f66fb.jpeg

Local toy show. Scored an original annual screwbottom AMT '62 T-Bird sport roadster for $20. It's cleanly built, not quite as cleanly painted, and complete and looks like a great rebuild candidate. Even came with the original box! 

Also got an MPC "Custom Corvette," the sad reissued end of the original Mako Shark molds, complete and unstarted (but no instructions, no problem) for $20. These are getting hard to find when you want one. I have in mind to build it as about a 1969-72 Corvette if Chevy had decided to go that way with the Shark design. Should be an interesting and fun build. 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:06 AM, blunc said:

Mailman brought me this cordless airbrush yesterday, I have limited experience with airbrushes about thirty years ago...so we'll see how this goes.

airbrush.thumb.jpg.ea69924c278b24ce5a3c27ac0823f27f.jpg

the red circle and below are the battery that unscrews, the kit I bought included another battery that can be charged separate from the airbrush.

Promised my 10 year old daughter I would do a build with her.  It will be her first so I let her choose (attempting to steer her towards the snap together kits).  She chose this one.

s-l300.jpg.36eed51069a9194e942f1018d2a87928.jpg

Color will be "dark blue".  No customizations, grey interior.  All her choices.

Says that is what she wants when she starts driving......

On 8/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, Snake45 said:

Local toy show. Scored an original annual screwbottom AMT '62 T-Bird sport roadster for $20. It's cleanly built, not quite as cleanly painted, and complete and looks like a great rebuild candidate. Even came with the original box! 

And here it is. Too bad the paint's not quite good enough to clean/polish it up as a nice "survivor." Not sure what color I'll paint it. Maybe if it comes out of Lake Purple really clean, I'll just polish up the white plastic. We'll see what happens. 

62TBird03.jpg.03047ed6c3d5fd00d77a0821d875c609.jpg

62TBird04.jpg.202c9520215fe5999a1de2ffa814bc6e.jpg

62TBird06.jpg.93a856781df09281e33950807b0262fa.jpg

Also picked up this semi-well built '69 Yenko; at least it's complete. It MIGHT be an easy, fun Snake-Fu rescue. I'll break it down and see if a light polish gets the paint to an acceptable level of shine. If not, It'll just make a great parts car. 

69YenkoGB02.jpg.5f1821abf754bbb43fe46780ed7b048a.jpg

69YenkoGB05.jpg.fcded511f7c953ef161212b923707643.jpg

And then this thing followed me home too for some reason. It's complete, anyway. I'll have to see what it looks like after I scrape all the decals off of it. If the paint's savable, I'll make a '60s drag car out of it, or perhaps a '70s street racer. Too bad the builder used the '66 Shelby side scoops but not the roof windows. Oh well, we'll see what happens. 

66MustangGT350GB02.jpg.ae4dc33082cbede00aa2c3938db71a94.jpg

66MustangGT350GB06.jpg.97c436bb17a4dafdc2cb680624f4be51.jpg

• Like 2

That Candy Apple Red T-Bird reminds me of the first spray painted kits we built in our youth. I think it was Testers and even AMT had some spray paints. I built a few that looked just like this at the time. I was proud as punch of them, now I just shack my head looking at them. This was the best deal in town at the time. 

22 hours ago, Beans said:

Promised my 10 year old daughter I would do a build with her.  It will be her first so I let her choose (attempting to steer her towards the snap together kits).  She chose this one.

s-l300.jpg.36eed51069a9194e942f1018d2a87928.jpg

Color will be "dark blue".  No customizations, grey interior.  All her choices.

Says that is what she wants when she starts driving......

nice to hear about youngsters getting interested in modeling.

• Like 1

I played the idiot today! I had looked at a cool old MPC kit on eBay last week and couldn't understand why it wasn't getting any bids. Then I read the listing and the LAST LINE in the description boldly says BOX ONLY. Well, that explained it.

This morning it popped up again on my feed with only 5 min left and still no bids. I went ahead and threw my opening bid in before looking again to remember that it was JUST THE BOX!

Oh well, $16 shipped is a cheap lesson to learn.....

Later-

Screenshot_20210803-074932_eBay.jpg

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Also picked up this semi-well built '69 Yenko; at least it's complete. It MIGHT be an easy, fun Snake-Fu rescue. I'll break it down and see if a light polish gets the paint to an acceptable level of shine. If not, It'll just make a great parts car. 

69YenkoGB02.jpg.5f1821abf754bbb43fe46780ed7b048a.jpg

69YenkoGB05.jpg.fcded511f7c953ef161212b923707643.jpg

I did a little test-polishing last night and it looks like it will take a shine. Just disassembled the thing and it came apart easily, even the glass. Biggest problem so far is that the (probably Testor) silver trim overpaint smears don't want to polish off; I had to take the larger ones off with #1500 WetOrDry. I'm PRETTY sure this paint is Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic, and if it's not, it's close enough that the Cobalt should provide a good touchup where necessary. Looks like it'll be a fun project. It won't look as good as something I built "from scratch" but darnit, for some reason I just can't resist throwing a little love at a model like this and bringing it up to the next level. :lol:

My good friend, Ken Nesbitt, shared these over a club Zoom meeting. They just arrived today from The Hobby Centre, in Ottawa. I have been buying a lot of paints in the 10 ml jars recently. The paint caddies, on the left,  hold 32 bottles each. They are on a swivel base. This will help reduce the foot print that paints occupy. The item on the right holds three Tamiya masking tape dispensers clamped side by side, and has a mechanism built in to attach to a desk surface. The Fujimi Porsche 911GT3R is a kit that I should have purchased when it first came out. Most places online either say out of stock, or prices north of $100 C.This was very reasonably priced. Maybe Flying Lizards livery....

IMG_2426 2.jpg

IMG_2427.JPG

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And then this thing followed me home too for some reason. It's complete, anyway. I'll have to see what it looks like after I scrape all the decals off of it. If the paint's savable, I'll make a '60s drag car out of it, or perhaps a '70s street racer. Too bad the builder used the '66 Shelby side scoops but not the roof windows. Oh well, we'll see what happens

Rather than scrape decals, I’d try  Scotch Tape.. rip off the Band-aid method first. Second round would be letting it sit in water overnight.

28 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Rather than scrape decals, I’d try  Scotch Tape.. rip off the Band-aid method first. Second round would be letting it sit in water overnight.

I've had some luck with Scotch tape. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it takes off the paint too. 

I've found something that works a LOT better than soaking overnight: Scrape off with a fingernail under HOT running water, hot as you can stand. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:50 AM, Modlbldr said:

I played the idiot today! I had looked at a cool old MPC kit on eBay last week and couldn't understand why it wasn't getting any bids. Then I read the listing and the LAST LINE in the description boldly says BOX ONLY. Well, that explained it.

This morning it popped up again on my feed with only 5 min left and still no bids. I went ahead and threw my opening bid in before looking again to remember that it was JUST THE BOX!

Oh well, $16 shipped is a cheap lesson to learn.....

Later-

Screenshot_20210803-074932_eBay.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I did something similar a few months ago. Was looking for AMT '65 Corvettes, as I sometimes do, and saw one for a reasonable price, but when I clicked on it and took a good look, it turned out to be a common Monogram 1/24 instead of a rare AMT 1/25. Did I mention it was a built glue bomb? I clicked away and put it out of my mind.

A few hours later I got an email from eBay saying that the seller of a "rare AMT '65 Corvette model" was offering it to me for just $20, shipping included! I almost sprained my click finger accepting the offer. 

Then I sent a bragging email to a few of my buddies here. One of them answered, "Uh, isn't that the Monogram kit?" Oh S! Of course it was! DOH! :angry:

When it arrived it was complete, but not something I'd have paid $10 for at the local toy show, though I MIGHT have given $5 for it. 

Anyway, I finally came up with a viable plan for the thing when I ran across a set of wheels that I thought would be perfect for it. With a little luck, I should have it finished tomorrow, or Friday at the latest. 

Ah shucks oh well. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Ah shucks oh well. :unsure:

Kind of my attitude. I've blown a lot more money on worse things.

BTW- I have a few built Vettes that I don't know if they are what you're looking for or not. If I can round them up I'll take a pic and let you look.

Later-

19 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Came in over the last few days.  Some Tamiya LP Lacquer paint, basic colors first.  Revell's Jaguar E-Type Roadster.  Tamiya decal adhesive and Bandit Resins 68-72 Fleetline short bed that I plan to use on my stepside PU

DSCF2664.JPG

Gotta love that box art..wonder who those people are.  Probably somebody the artist knows.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...