Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got the reissued Tom Daniel Troublemaker from Atlantis - I never had one of these before!  Looks like a fun kit - usual TD kind of deal, somewhat simplified but will no doubt take well to some additional detailing.  

Need to find a good 3D file for a Chevy Rat motor and whatever other drag goodies I can find to help me detail this thing up!

4B743FFF-6410-4885-B6BA-E44AC7800D76.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 2

Local toy show day. Got an open but complete Bruce Larsen '74 Vega for $22, built '65 El Camino missing only hood and headlights for $3. Stopped at Rite Aid on the way home and snagged a Welly black whale-tail Porsche of some kind for $12. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure I don't have a whale-tail and I know I don't have a black one. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was the IPMS Model Expo at Gillespie Field and I was trying not to buy anything, but, I could not pass up these deals! How often do you see vintage stuff for only $10 bucks! 

Picked up a couple of Faust Specials! But now cool! 😄

CavEsc.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Local toy show day. Got an open but complete Bruce Larsen '74 Vega for $22, built '65 El Camino missing only hood and headlights for $3. Stopped at Rite Aid on the way home and snagged a Welly black whale-tail Porsche of some kind for $12. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure I don't have a whale-tail and I know I don't have a black one. 

The wail tale was black rubber due to pedestrian traffic laws.

Kit of the Month from Salvinos. This is a box of disappointment. Body is warped on 2 axis and has some weird molding irregularity on the front fenders. Decals are awesome though...

received_5250847204996982.jpeg.e2e59195bf32d68871ded32889fd2608.jpeg

Big box of Audis from HLJ, also the new Hasegaw Suprea Turbo A (the 500 car homologation street car for the Gr. A race package) and BeeMaNuNu Peugeot 306 Evo kit and P/E, lastly the newest big sheet of decals from Good Smile Racing to make their 2019 Super GT AMG GT3 (Tamiya).

20220603_122543.jpg.abe7e6a28c529516c1d42bb3a58c48db.jpg

20220603_123827.jpg.3b924229cba4422e346631c456cdb37a.jpg

20220603_123707.thumb.jpg.4fb158bc07619e41b8d540d67d8a42e5.jpg

20220603_123648.jpg

4 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

That's a lot of Audi's, you gonna build all of them?

Sure haven't you heard, you can't die til you build your stash....ergo I'm immortal!! 😜

Usually when aftermarket decals come out for these GT3 cars you wind up trying to buy kits for them later when finding them can become an issue. I just pre-brought ahead of time. There's already 4 schemes available (including the box art car) and there will be another half dozen coming available in fairly short order. ZoomOn and a few others are making the Evo II "flipped" spoiler which is the only major visible change for the 2022-2025 cars so decals can be made for this updated version for awhile. 

• Like 1

Got a haul today.

Got the Corvette Grand Sport in a trade with afx and three sets of 3D printed wheels off of FB Marketplace. I also went to Wally World today and picked up 4 colors of craft paint and 8 bottles (four colors) of fingernail polish, microfiber towels for polishing and a four pack of superglue.

Later-

20220606_165043.jpg

20220606_165402.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Kit of the Month from Salvinos. This is a box of disappointment. Body is warped on 2 axis and has some weird molding irregularity on the front fenders. Decals are awesome though...

received_5250847204996982.jpeg.e2e59195bf32d68871ded32889fd2608.jpeg

Big box of Audis from HLJ, also the new Hasegaw Suprea Turbo A (the 500 car homologation street car for the Gr. A race package) and BeeMaNuNu Peugeot 306 Evo kit and P/E, lastly the newest big sheet of decals from Good Smile Racing to make their 2019 Super GT AMG GT3 (Tamiya).

20220603_122543.jpg.abe7e6a28c529516c1d42bb3a58c48db.jpg

20220603_123827.jpg.3b924229cba4422e346631c456cdb37a.jpg

20220603_123707.thumb.jpg.4fb158bc07619e41b8d540d67d8a42e5.jpg

20220603_123648.jpg

Do you have alink for Zoom On decals? Have you used their C/F decals?

10 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Do you have alink for Zoom On decals? Have you used their C/F decals?

https://www.zoomonmodel.com/

I have some resin transkits and multimedia kits from them, and a couple of window mask sets which I haven't gotten around to using yet. Don't think I have any of their actual decals beyond the sheets that have come with the resin items.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, keyser said:

Get to Fu-ing. Long spell without any. 

Don't hold your breath waiting for New-Fu. The Lovely Mrs. Snake took advantage of my prolonged absence to clear off my model workbench, just throwing all projects, tools, and materials into several large boxes willy-nilly with NO thought given to...well, anything. It might be a minute before I can go through all the boxes and dig out the stuff I'd need for even a basic diecast Snake-Fu. Unclear whether I'll get to complete another plastic model this year or not. :angry:

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, keyser said:

Nice Lego Collection. Sian was fun. Westy Camper fun too. Yes, they’re models. 👍🏼🤣

Thanks man! My collection is pretty large when it comes to legos.  Lost count how many sets i actually own between where i live and my hobby room at my parents place. 

• Like 1

Stopped by the local HobbyTown for some odds and ends, they didn't have the kit I wanted, so I just got some panel line enhancers to try, the last bottle of Model Master zinc chromate in the universe, and an Aoshima #78, 14" wheel/tire set.

AOSHIMA NO.78 KAKOU TECCHIN TYPE-3 14 INCH TIRE & WHEEL SET 1/24 Scale ...

The centers are somewhat similar to wheels that appeared on the front of the Lotus 23. The plan is to narrow them to something more reasonable than how they come, fit narrower higher aspect-ratio tires, and use 'em for a Lotus 7 slalom car.

image.jpeg.61bff9a51e6d4385369b458570e550ad.jpeg

• Like 2

Haven't heard much about this kit here.  I'd never own a 1:1 Porsche, but I like the looks of the 356 and early versions of the 911.  After getting this one, I saw the European box Targa version for about the same price and bought it.  European and North American versions, left and right hand drive.  Instruction booklet is amazing, paint directions for all parts including mixing proportions for some of the colors and tones needed.

Engine is slightly simplified compared to Fujimi Enthusiast Series, but in the car you won't notice that.  The rest of the kit is comparable and looks like it will be easier to build.  I'd say it's easily 90% of the Fujimi kits, at the price of a current Revell or Round 2 offering.  Someone who knows more about the car might find something to nitpick, but I doubt it.

20220610_195237.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Haven't heard much about this kit here.  I'd never own a 1:1 Porsche, but I like the looks of the 356 and early versions of the 911.  After getting this one, I saw the European box Targa version for about the same price and bought it.  European and North American versions, left and right hand drive.  Instruction booklet is amazing, paint directions for all parts including mixing proportions for some of the colors and tones needed.

Engine is slightly simplified compared to Fujimi Enthusiast Series, but in the car you won't notice that.  The rest of the kit is comparable and looks like it will be easier to build.  I'd say it's easily 90% of the Fujimi kits, at the price of a current Revell or Round 2 offering.  Someone who knows more about the car might find something to nitpick, but I doubt it.

20220610_195237.jpg

I have the Targa version. great kits that compare very favorably with the Tamiya EM kits but looks a bit easier to assemble so some might actually get finished. 

Only nit I can pick on these is the tires. They're pretty plain. The fronts and backs are actually slightly different size so you have to look out for that. In my kit, I got 3 of one size and one of the other but I won't be using them anyway.

Lots of Canada love on the decal sheet though. Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia license plates are included on the Targa's sheet.

Nothing kit wise, but did find this really nice little Hot Wheels Lucid Air Sedan while picking up a prescription for Dad (his turn for a sinus infection now that My Sister, BiL, and I are about over ours).  It’s really pretty nice for a HW as well, almost looks more like a Matchbox, detail wise!

B6C9E01F-4DA7-48ED-9F4D-12294C9F9007.thumb.jpeg.fe19f46460b71a3775146a986e16bad2.jpeg

• Like 1

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...