Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

One I forgot: the early stock-only issue of Monogram's '50 Ford pickup, as I needed a stock 8BA/8CM flathead (differences from earlier engines being a detachable bellhousing and a conventional distributor located where you can get to it easily), with the 8RT truck water pumps and front mounts, to live in the A-V8 I'm doing for the Race of Gentlemen street-drag group build. As usual, I'm getting somewhat bogged down in esoteric details for what started as a "simple, quickie" project...but I'm having fun.   B)

EDIT: And I really like the light blue this thing is molded in. When it gets built, it'll get something interesting and Ford, like a multi-carb Y-block or 406 FE, so no worries there.  :D

Lt lBue Monogram ‘50 Ford  Pickup Street Rod Truck 1/25 Model Kit No. 2457 NIB - Picture 1 of 5

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

Bill, you seem to be very savvy when it comes to balancing time invested vs. outcome.

If you measure "outcome" in finished models, I'm pathetic. Not quite two since 2012 or so.

But if you measure it in enjoyment of the time I actually spend at the bench, I think I'm doing just fine.  :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But if you measure it in enjoyment of the time I actually spend at the bench, I think I'm doing just fine. 

This makes all my piddling worthwhile. For me it's always more about possibilities than cranking out cookie cutter kits. I have also found more enjoyment trying to turn a glue bomb into something than I get from starting new kits.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

One I forgot: the early stock-only issue of Monogram's '50 Ford pickup, as I needed a stock 8BA/8CM flathead (differences from earlier engines being a detachable bellhousing and a conventional distributor located where you can get to it easily), with the 8RT truck water pumps and front mounts, to live in the A-V8 I'm doing for the Race of Gentlemen street-drag group build. As usual, I'm getting somewhat bogged down in esoteric details for what started as a "simple, quickie" project...but I'm having fun.   B)

EDIT: And I really like the light blue this thing is molded in. When it gets built, it'll get something interesting and Ford, like a multi-carb Y-block or 406 FE, so no worries there.  :D

Lt lBue Monogram ‘50 Ford  Pickup Street Rod Truck 1/25 Model Kit No. 2457 NIB - Picture 1 of 5

Y-block with RMoM's tri-carb intake and either Offenhauser or Thunderbird valve covers...

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Mine was molded in white styrene.. That's with the same box art..

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, Scott8950 said:

Yesterday was a great day for me! A friend found a lady cleaning property out and she had a box of models for $45 so I agreed to meet and purchase them unseen hoping I might find something worth the trip.

Here is exactly what was in that box!! Crazy thing is she was gonna throw them in the trash and decided to list them. I have already traded the Grand prix, chrysler 300 and gto screw bottoms.

20230409_085017.jpg

20230409_085029.jpg

20230409_085053.jpg

20230409_085329.jpg

20230409_085359.jpg

20230409_085409.jpg

20230409_084957.jpg

That's a awesome score !

396B02F3-F8BE-4156-B805-E96A94B486B6.thumb.jpeg.3c93cc22836f8e34a4035f8fde27b65a.jpeg
This was waiting on the doorstep when I got home from work. Ebay purchase, pure nostalgia trip. When I was about 8 or 9, this was the first model I saved up for and bought with my own money. It was $3.75 then. I just paid $50 US (about $68 CDN) plus shipping. Nostalgia ain’t cheap.  Can’t wait to peel off the plastic. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

396B02F3-F8BE-4156-B805-E96A94B486B6.thumb.jpeg.3c93cc22836f8e34a4035f8fde27b65a.jpeg
This was waiting on the doorstep when I got home from work. Ebay purchase, pure nostalgia trip. When I was about 8 or 9, this was the first model I saved up for and bought with my own money. It was $3.75 then. I just paid $50 US (about $68 CDN) plus shipping. Nostalgia ain’t cheap.  Can’t wait to peel off the plastic. 

That is very cool! I really would like to find the 'Cuda from this series. I built a Modified Production racer from that kit. It was one of the first models I built that I did major modifications to--I cut out the molded-in rear axle, and replaced it with something from another kit, and scratchbuilt shackles. I even used the 1975 NHRA rule book. I only have these tow photos of that car.

Cuda MP.jpg

Cuda MP2.jpg

• Like 1

Got a small shipment from the fine folks at Burbank's. I haven't tried any of Vallejo's stuff, yet, but, I have been trying different things for washes. I've heard good things, so I decided to try these. The brown looks similar to raw umber oils, which I like, but, thinner doesn't always play well with all the different finishes I like to use, so I wanted to give something water-based a shot. The clear orange Tamiya lacquer will go over the gold I mixed for the Nostalgia Fueler. I love the way Tamiya's clear orange acrylic looks over the gold, but I don't trust their clears, over larger areas. I had one, and have seen/heard of too many bad experiences with them. 3/32" aluminum is just so I have it on hand--you can never have too many scratchbuilding supplies. Or tools--you can never have too many of those, either.😁

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Got a small shipment from the fine folks at Burbank's. I haven't tried any of Vallejo's stuff, yet, but, I have been trying different things for washes. I've heard good things, so I decided to try these. The brown looks similar to raw umber oils, which I like, but, thinner doesn't always play well with all the different finishes I like to use, so I wanted to give something water-based a shot. The clear orange Tamiya lacquer will go over the gold I mixed for the Nostalgia Fueler. I love the way Tamiya's clear orange acrylic looks over the gold, but I don't trust their clears, over larger areas. I had one, and have seen/heard of too many bad experiences with them. 3/32" aluminum is just so I have it on hand--you can never have too many scratchbuilding supplies. Or tools--you can never have too many of those, either.😁

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

I think you'll like the Vallejo washes, I've started using them as well as some weathering washes. I'd like to check out their pigments... AK also is really good.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, HomerS said:

Good luck in your quest.  I made a trade for an AMX as Okey had them in his stock at shows.....until I needed one.  Months later, I find an AMX rebuilder at a swap meet and it had two windows.  Gracious seller let me buy one of them

Okey is supposed to be coming out with pieces for the AMX and, I think, the whole kit.

• Like 1

I took a bunch of kits to the Desert Scale Classic show, sold 3, bought 2, so I reduced my stash. 😏  Great deal on the Lexus, those are scarce and eBay sellers think they're gold plated, but just the emblems are.  I got the other version of the Peugeot last year, but for some reason had to get this too.  Got some tools too, and the photo-etch fan.

IMG_6111.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I took a bunch of kits to the Desert Scale Classic show, sold 3, bought 2, so I reduced my stash. 😏  Great deal on the Lexus, those are scarce and eBay sellers think they're gold plated, but just the emblems are.  I got the other version of the Peugeot last year, but for some reason had to get this too.  Got some tools too, and the photo-etch fan.

IMG_6111.jpg

If you don't mind me asking? How much was that lexus? 

The Amazon fairy arrived today…I needed some red and white to re-stock, and by the time I order those individually it’s only $4 more to buy the whole sampler set…

30E14F60-88DB-4428-BFE1-FFCBE59AFA48.thumb.jpeg.369c5997fbc68faff378ce32b73c262f.jpeg

Love Createx paints - they don’t cover EVERY painting need, but they’re a great basis for a lot of stuff and always give consistent results (plus they don’t keep messing with the formula constantly…)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dpate said:

If you don't mind me asking? How much was that lexus? 

It's okay, $30.  I have seen stupid prices on eBay, if you ever see one, if you're lucky.  Even came with reference pictures, think someone owned the car, and never got around to building it (how many have that story?)  I got it for the engine, have the Testors / Jimmy Flintstone Sportstar kit, which used the Lexus V8, if I ever get around to it, will cast a resin copy, or better yet hope someone will make a 3D print of it.  This was one time I got a good deal.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

It's okay, $30.  I have seen stupid prices on eBay, if you ever see one, if you're lucky.  Even came with reference pictures, think someone owned the car, and never got around to building it (how many have that story?)  I got it for the engine, have the Testors / Jimmy Flintstone Sportstar kit, which used the Lexus V8, if I ever get around to it, will cast a resin copy, or better yet hope someone will make a 3D print of it.  This was one time I got a good deal.

Well it's fairly rare kit in that it hasnt ever been reissued, and the vast majority of those kits are actually HERE in the U.S. floating around.  When the LS400 was introduced it was just a badge engineered Toyota Celsior and wasn't sold as a Lexus in Japan, so there wasn't much of a market for that kit inside Japan.  Instead Tamiya released a nearly identical full detail kit of the Celsior - which aside from the RHD and Toyota grille/badges is the same exact kit.

• Like 1