Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I went to some thrift stores this weekend specifically looking for model kits, thinking I might find some half built modern kits. I was about to leave then I saw four old builtups sitting on a shelf for $3 each; a 1963 Buick Riviera (sans hood, but modelhaus has one), a 57 T-Bird, an old beat up Corvette and a odd four engine dragster. I grabbed 'em and asked if they had anymore. The cashier tells me that they had around 30 of them a few days before. I scoured the place, but they were all gone. Three of the four I got were old kits with the screw on chasis. I cannot imagine what the other 27 model cars were...

post-11636-0-46417200-1366811956_thumb.j

The only caveat to missing out on the 27 other cars was that I also found a 50's Nash hood ornament for $8 there. It's one of the George Petty (pinup artist) designed ones with a long winged woman. Must weigh about 5 pounds.

few things came today , some paint , BMF , a Corvette that I think is Not the vette I ordered but it might be , JoHan Chrysler Turbine ( love it) and I made the little wood holder today for the tweezers and junk , but the semi gloss red paint I bought is not what I expected as far as the shade of red , may have to rethink this now 003-43_zps98808328.jpg

Very nice Nick.. I have a few people in my family that I learned auto-body from. ( well other that the school of hard knocks!) just remember to use you breathing safety equipment.. my uncle destroyed his lungs ( he pounded it into my head safety gear on before entering shop.. as soon as gear come off LEAVE NOW.. well thats how he put it to me very sternly )

I know all about safety Equipment have had quite a few older friends who have taught me to use it or face the consequences later that they have.

I forgot to ask... are you going to sling lead or slap bondo? ( I learned both I realy liked slinging lead the old school way )

When we go to do the sail panel (trunk divider) and 1/4 to rockers I got some lead to re do the panel joints, it is a lot safer than the old lead, I forget how it breaks down but it's not 100% lead. The car also will be getting minimal body filler, I told my friend that if were doing it, I wanna learn how do it right.

Nick

I picked up a half dozen cans of Tamiya spray paints from a little local 'boutique' hobby shop that's closing their doors....didn't even know they did model stuff until a buddy popped in last week.....everything is 50% off, so the sprays were $3.25 each.

I won this off ebay. It is a 1/12 transkit for the datsun 240 from tamiya

CB24FFBD-D170-4B2B-9AC5-6AECFFE2455C-647

48328BDF-7AFA-4D6D-AFCC-D1DBF092412B-647

The transkit is kinda exspensive and i think i am going to give it to my wife for mothers day.

One more pre sale has to happen before they will cast the molds. Please buy one so they will start

I bought two of those kit a few years back. They are from a company in Mexico that was very nice and courteous, until I had a complaint. They put my kits together from what appeared to be leftovers and cast offs. I was not very happy.

Pete Johnson got one of them and we both where going to try and re-do the wheels. He figured out which Tamiay tires they used to cast theirs and he has a set. We both came to the conclusion that they used the parts out of the Safari version of the car to use on the ZG nosed car.

I look forward to you tackling this one!

Jesse C.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...